Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best Polisher in $100-150 range?

PT3

Question

I've never done any paint correction. I'm not sure how often I'll do it. So, for my intro I don't want to drop a lot of cash on a unit. If I get into it, etc... Then I'll step up and get a better unit.

So....the question... What's the best machine polisher between $100 and $150...?

Thompsons racing has a PC for $129. That's a good deal. I started with one and still use it occasionally. Go to Adams home page and look under Find a Dealer. You'll find Thompsons racing listed there. Eric will treat you right.

Edited by CMDChase

Thompsons racing has a PC for $129. That's a good deal. I started with one and still use it occasionally. Go to Adams home page and look under Find a Dealer. You'll find Thompsons racing listed there. Eric will treat you right.

Not that I don't still use my PC, but that thing is more work than the Cyclo or Flex.  And vibrates too much, IMO.  A newbie that is on the fence about detailing is going to be disappointed with the PC IMO.  If I were to suggest a polisher to a newbie, it would be the Cyclo.  

Not that I don't still use my PC, but that thing is more work than the Cyclo or Flex.  And vibrates too much, IMO.  A newbie that is on the fence about detailing is going to be disappointed with the PC IMO.  If I were to suggest a polisher to a newbie, it would be the Cyclo.

s

That may be, Chris, but for someone on a limited budget or who may not want to spend that much, I think the PC is a good option.

s

That may be, Chris, but for someone on a limited budget or who may not want to spend that much, I think the PC is a good option.

Ed, you have a good point. Though, I'm not REALLY on a budget.

My initial thought was I didn't want to spend more than necessary in case the hobby didn't stick.

But as Adam and others pointed out, a lower quality machine may not give me the ideal experience that would allow me to get the most enjoyment.

Thanks to everyone.

Edited by PhilT3 2014 BMW M5

Plenty of people get just as good of results with a PC, it may just take a little bit more time. Myself, as much as I know a cyclo/flex/rupes are better than a PC, I just couldn't recommend a $350+ polisher to somebody that wasn't sure this was their "thing".

I say get a PC, if you enjoy polishing upgrade to a better unit. You can still get plenty of uses out of the PC whether it be 4" pad duty or sealant/wax application.

I started out looking for a way to properly take care of a 2002 Corvette Comvertible. I had never owned such a nice car and to me it was a pat on the back to myself for reaching that goal in my life. That was in 2009. The PC7424XP was a fine machine to cut my teeth on and at the time was the sole machine offered by Adams.

Fast forward 3 years and about 25 details/paint corrections. I buy a Flex 3401vrg from Adam. 15 hour polishing sessions turned into 8 hour polishing sessions. That was money well spent.

Fast forward to this year. I used the FLeX with the 7" MF pads and the new paint correction/finishing Polish combo. Holy... 8 hour polish sessions turned into 4 hour polish sessions. I couldn't wait to do my wife's black swirled up 300. (I let it get bad hoping she would trade that 2012 for a 2014). Oh well.

If I had to still use the PC polisher, I doubt I'd be polishing much. Way too labor intensive. While it's safe, it's a time killer and can make you not want to do it after spending 1 hour on your hood alone. Also, don't think the MF Polish pads work with the PC. Get a flex and the MF pads. If you don't like em, sell em or see if Adams will refund you. (Sorry Adam). I have seen used flex polishers bring close to asking retail price. The money you save doing your own paint correction vs. paying a pro... Worth trying it. Professionals will charge $300-400 for a paint correction. That's what I used to charge... I've dropped it to $200-250 since my labor time decreased so much with such a great polishing system that Adam has built for us.

Just my nickels worth.

Let's put it this way.  If  you're serious about how your car looks and plan on taking the best possible care of it, if you plan on doing all the work  yourself and not pay for a professional detail, then spend a little extra and pick up the Cyclo.  I've seen a lot of new guys struggle with the Flex, the Cyclo seems to be easier. Watch Adam's videos about how to use it, and if there's a detail clinic in your area somewhere, go.  It's the place where most of us learned how to care for our rides. I still have a porter cable and use it on my daily driver but the majority of the time I do my rides by hand (personal preference)  My Vette I always do by hand.  But I think in the long run, the Cyclo is your best option.

Phil if you are looking for one machine thats kinda an all-in-one, I'd say the Cyclo is the best bet if you want to pony up the benjamins.

You can always get carpet brush attachments to scrub carpets as well, the 4" heads are better for applying wax/sealant if you choose to do so, and you'll have no vibrations when correcting, the GG6 is like the E34 M5, while the Cyclo is probably like the E60, in comparison, both great and visceral machines, but deliver their power in different ways.

I don't follow...?

If you like and share on social media you're entered for a raffle to get a Flex for free.

I always like but I never "share" so I never win.  I can't stand when all my feed is is people "sharing" other peoples posts and pictures, its like friggin spam on FB nowadays.

You can also enter on the webpage to win the Flex, check the Cyber Monday thread for the link to enter. I would post it here but my phone isn't cooperating with copying the hyperlink.

If you like and share on social media you're entered for a raffle to get a Flex for free.

I always like but I never "share" so I never win.  I can't stand when all my feed is is people "sharing" other peoples posts and pictures, its like friggin spam on FB nowadays.

Oops... See above. Lol

I think most of us here have had a PC and don't really use it much or at all anymore for a reason. I love detailing my stuff but honestly the polishing part is not what I enjoy. It's a necessary evil for me. The quicker I can get through it without tiring out and get to the stuff I enjoy (seal/wax/detail) the better.

Also, given your ride you're a successful person. While you may save $200 on a PC over a flex/cyclo, what's 8 more hours of your time worth on a detail? Or when you get all day into it and realize how much more you have to do still with the PC.

I started with a PC 7424 (before the XP) and still have it.  I added a GG 6" several years ago for the extra power, and using that with the MF pads, I have yet to find a finish I cannot correct.

I have a 2013 CTS, 2013 SS and Sienna van.  I use MF pads and have had no problem either cleaning up cars.

I think most of us here have had a PC and don't really use it much or at all anymore for a reason. I love detailing my stuff but honestly the polishing part is not what I enjoy. It's a necessary evil for me. The quicker I can get through it without tiring out and get to the stuff I enjoy (seal/wax/detail) the better.

Also, given your ride you're a successful person. While you may save $200 on a PC over a flex/cyclo, what's 8 more hours of your time worth on a detail? Or when you get all day into it and realize how much more you have to do still with the PC.

When you break it down to what's 8 hours of my time worth....now that speaks volumes to me. Which is why initially thought I'd just hire someone. But the challenge with that is this is my daily driver and I can't find anyone somewhat local that would use Adams products.

When you break it down to what's 8 hours of my time worth....now that speaks volumes to me. Which is why initially thought I'd just hire someone. But the challenge with that is this is my daily driver and I can't find anyone somewhat local that would use Adams products.

Everyone also just thinks about the normal corrections you'll do with the polisher but it really pays to have it when the unexpected happens.

Scuffs from someone's door/car scraping you while you're out, random crazy water spots that won't come off with clay(happens with really hard water or bad rain), etc.  It's great when something like that happens and you're like NBD it'll buff right out.

Some personal experience lol  :ph34r:

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/24291-trying-out-the-new-polishes/

A higher priced, higher quality machine is definitely going to save you time! The flex and Rupes are probably the two most powerful without going to a full blown rotary. However, the Cyclo with the microfiber pads is an excellent option for a tool that cuts the time down and allows you to learn easily and effectively how to polish.

How far are you again from me Phil 1.5 hours?  I'm always looking for side work but it is getting chilly outside LOL!

If you can do without your car for most of the weekend I can take care of you if you want to do a trip up in the spring?  At this point I'd say just claybar the M5 and give it a coat of Sealant to get it through winter.