Customer Service 866.965.0400

Do you use your windshield washers?

BoCRon

Question

So I recently sold my '11 MINI Cooper. Overall in great condition. 

When the guy that bought it got home with the car (a 1000 mile drive!) he texted me to ask if I knew what was wrong the with washer jets. I told him I had no clue, that I don't know that I'd ever actually used them, at least not on purpose. 

I started wondering if this was a regional thing. Here in the south it seems that using them is counterproductive, in the heat the washer fluid just bakes on the glass making a bigger mess. In the winter we get mostly rain so no need for extra fluid. I also get the feeling that using them regularly damages the glass somehow, and you end up with a permanent pattern of the wipers on the glass. I also hate how they spray water/cleaner all over the roof and such. When I do MINI club drives or events (the Dragon, Road Atlanta track days) I always travel with glass cleaner and a few microfiber cloths and clean as needed. The rest of the time the car is garaged or gets washed regularly.

I felt bad that I had no idea they didn't work but he said it was probably not a big issue and not to worry about it. 

So for those of you that do use yours, do you just put water in the reservoir or do you use something special in there? 

Annette

22 answers to this question

I don't use mine either but I do keep it filled with windshield washing fluid just in case its ever needed. I dont use water since it would freeze during winter, but if you live in an area where freezing temps aren't an issue then water would be fine

So... I'm probably a minority here... but I don't use my washer's at all. Winter time I

On the GTI the washer fluid tank is used for water/methanol injection. The nozzles are shaved off the hood. And I will be doing the same on the CC when I get around to putting it back on the road.

I agree with the guys above, very rarely used at all.  If my windshield is dirty enough, its usually ready to be wiped down with an MF towel and glass cleaner.  In winter, yes I do have to used them sometimes, in snow/slush storms, etc, its unavoidable.

Case in point though, I've deleted the rear wiper on my 2003 X5 for over 2 years now, haven't missed it a day.  Now that (rear wiper) is a truly useless invention, take the most dirty part of your car and the vortex effect on the rear hatch glass which builds gunk up on a rear wiper and use it once a month to wipe your glass.  You'll have semi-circle scratches in no time.

For that glass I just keep it clayed and sealed year round, in rain or in winter it only has some moisture on it but I can clearly see whats behind me.  Many people knock me on the X5 forums thinking they couldn't live without, but I truly don't miss it.

Many people knock me on the X5 forums thinking they couldn't live without, but I truly don't miss it.

I get the same flack from people like it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. First thing to get removed from every car that I have had that came with a rear wiper.

My favorite was the Corrado. People in the Corrado forums think they can't live without a rear wiper. "Oh but it clears the snow off so I don't have to." and "the rear window gets dirty". People are just too lazy with cars these days.

I have been using glass sealant on front and rear from day one. The MINI is famous for having a "dirty boot". Something about the way the back end is designed lends itself to terrible dirt collection. So I learned early on to keep it well coated and the dust blows off for the most part. 

Also, I find the act of claying and sealing the glass to be therapeutic. Easy job with big rewards. Maybe that's why I got out of the habit of using washer fluid and such.

Annette

I use mine fairly often.  And in the winter a lot.  Salt spray from the roads will turn my windshield white and impossible to see thru.

I have had some spray in weird directions before.  I just used a pick that was angled and moved it back into place.  

Edited by LFairbanks

I never use mine unless Im driving after a rain storm moves through and I get my windshield full of dirty road water mist, Then I break down and turn on the wipers and washer fluid. I do notice that the washer fluid really hurts the life span of the glass sealant. 

Aside from that, I either have a car that is spotless, clean the glass as needed on road trips, or don't even need my wipers in the rain thanks to glass sealant!

My biggest pet peeve is actually when I drive with other people that turn on their wipers and smear the window up and have all the splatter on the side... It drives me NUTS!   Ahh the pains of being OCD. 

I usually do not use the washer fluid - the exception is long road trips when getting road spray after a rain storm. But at the end of the day or when stopping to get gas will then get the glass cleaning cloth out and clean it properly.

My Bride knows this... And in the rare occasion that she might use it she will tell me and then apologize for making me go through the work of cleaning up after it. :-)

I try to limit the use of mine as much as possible, but certain seasons here in CO its virtually impossible not to - like driving out E470 to the airport in spring. I pretty much feel like my windshield is responsible for the genocide of entire bug species on that drive and if I didn't use the wipers and fluid I wouldn't be able to see anything! LOL

Yes I use them.  Bugs, winter, and general road crap.  And you guys who say you NEVER use them must have never driven a car in the rain and had a semi fly past you and splash dirt up onto your windshield so you can't see.  I can't baby my cars like that. NEVER EVER use them?  Sorry, but at some point we ALL have used them.