Customer Service 866.965.0400

Buttery Wax hard to remove

pharden

Question

'Last night I waxed the hood of my wife's Land Rover in the garage. After letting it dry overnight, I went to polish the wax off this morning and I was surprised how hard it was to get off and went it did come off it was very streaky. Did I put it on too thick? Also this bottle is 4-5 years old. does wax ever get too old to use?

20 answers to this question

Thats your problem right there.  You left it on overnight.  Do a couple of panels at a time then go back and wipe it off.  Your lucky it wasn't the Americana.  I have never had an issue getting it off, but have read where others have left it too long and had a difficult time.  Thin to win.

Your getting up there in age when it comes to your product if not past due. 

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/17083-faq-do-the-products-have-a-shelf-life/?hl=%2Bshelf+%2Blife

Edited by LFairbanks

With Buttery Wax you can wax the entire car before removing but you should remove immediately.  None of the Adam's waxes or sealants are designed to be removed the next day.

I believe the bottle's label contains simpe instructions that cover most normal situations.

Indeed. There's no need to let it "dwell" on the paint. 5 minutes or 5 hours won't make a difference except that it becomes increasingly difficult to remove. Lesson learned this time so you can enjoy the process the next time. Have fun!

With a 5 year old bottle of Buttery I'd be sure to make sure it shook up well and such, but you're right, doesn't need to be left on overnight.

HOWEVER, if you were to do so, a tip I picked up from Larry Kosilla with his sealant product was to let it dry overnight, then mist the surface with a spray detailer (Detail Spray) and then wipe off the residues as the DS will make it easier to remove and control any dusting.

Try that next time, if you are going to let it dry overnight.

I'm familiar with the Kosilla way of dwell, but are we to come up with terms like haze, more hazed and over hazed? Buttery is absolutely the easiest wax to use, I don't understand why the simplest tasks turn into "I know better". If the op would have asked about letting it dwell overnight it would have been recommended otherwise, that's the beauty of these forums and the Adams product to me. Simple, effective and described in either video or thru the forum

^I agree Brian.  I do follow the directions on the bottle, in the case of someone thinking their way might have been better, and/or not following directions on the bottle, I was trying to just share a tip in order to make it easier to remove, a little Detail Spray would have helped, and allowed easier removal/little dusting, and should theoretically help with the streaks.

This is a case of operator error, Adam's puts the directions on the bottle for a reason.  And yes, Buttery is definitely one of the easiest liquid waxes I've ever used, even prior to the newer-ish (2 years or so?) formula

Can we get a little more clarification on your question Abraham? Do you intend to buff off the haze after the Buttery Wax has been applied using a Porter Cable, or are you asking if you can polish away the wax layer using something like an orange pad and Paint Correcting Polish?

You could remove the wax haze residue using the Porter Cable on a slow speed with a single soft towel draped over a gray foam pad, but this is usually more headache than it is worth trying to hold the towel in place while also trying to maneuver the machine around. Buttery Wax wipes off with nearly zero hand pressure with a Single Soft or Double Soft Towel if you work a panel at a time and wipe it off a minute or two after applying, so it's not really worth it to try to use the machine to wipe off the residue.

You can also remove a layer of Buttery Wax with an orange foam or orange microfiber pad with Paint Correcting Polish, if you are polishing the surface to remove swirl marks, but that job will also go much more quickly if you do a strip-wash or clay bar treatment first to remove the wax and then machine polish the surface.

Hopefully that made sense and I didn't cause more confusion. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Yes, my question was if I could buff off the haze of buttery wax using a Porter Cable after it has been applied using a Porter Cable, no paint correcting polish involved at all. So could I place a microfiber towel over any pad to buff off the wax after its been applied? Thank you for your replies.

The "towel over the pad trick"  is not uncommon in applications with large flat areas. I plan to do that with a MF towel and my Cyclo polisher on my boat. Then follow up with MF bonnets over the pads for more complex surfaces where the towel would likely find itself on the ground.

There are some crazy videos on the internet showing this technique on boats, planes, travel trailers... Actually, polishing unpainted aluminum travel trailers like Airstreams has almost a cult following of owners with Cyclo polishers, towels, and metal polish. Some folks wrap the towel in such a way it is amazing the polisher doesn't conk out from heat! :D  

I know this is a few months old, but was coming here to post the same issue with buttery. I just waxed a truck with it and since it was in the 50s in the garage let it sit longer than normal. Finished the whole truck and let it sit for maybe an hour and it was impossible to remove the residue. I kept checking it every 15 mins or so to see if it was ready to come off and wasn't. Then when I went to remove it....was near impossible to get off. Guess I let it sit too long.

For what it's worth, I will buff off Buttery Wax residue after one or two minutes. It will wipe off with near-zero pressure on the towel if you only let it sit for a minute or two. Americana can also be difficult to remove if you let it sit for too long, which is why I work one panel at a time with it and only let it sit and haze up at most for a couple of minutes before wiping it off. Patriot Wax on the other hand, I did a test with it last week, mainly because I was curious, and let it sit on the rear quarter of the Z06 I was detailing for over 30 minutes in a 62 degree garage. It still wiped off almost effortlessly with a Double Soft microfiber towel :)