Customer Service 866.965.0400

When does it make sense to order gallons?

stripesace

Question

So after 1 daily driver detail I burned through about 8oz of Detail Spray. That tells me two things.

1) I washed too hot of a car, at the wrong time of the day.

2) I used too much while claying because of number 1.

So before I throw another 16oz in the shopping cart before tackling my wife's SUV I'm asking myself, when does it make sense to just order 1 gallon instead of lots of 16oz? 

Especially with things like the car shampoo, rinseless wash, etc. 

Not doing any other work right now except for my own two cars. 

I was amazed at how little HGG I used on my car! 

Detail Spray is probably the most used product of them all IMO.  You use it in conjunction with a lot of other products and as a stand alone product.  I order gallons in most everything.  You will have to find what works for you.  All we can do on the Forum is give you opinions on what we use.  Tire Shine, Super VRT, and Leather Conditioner are the products that I can think of right off that I don't order in gallons.  I don't use them on every weekly wash either, and I have 3 vehicles that I maintain.

Edited by LFairbanks

I used a lot of detail spray when claying also, and that was in the garage. It takes a decent amount to keep it lubed. I'm fairly new to Adam's, but I have ordered gallons of glass cleaner, deep wheel cleaner, all purpose cleaner and Rinseless wash.

You can never have enough glass cleaner.

I don't use deep wheel cleaner often, but it goes fast if you spray the barrels too.

The gallon of APC is good to mix up bottles of different concentrations for different jobs.

And I used the gallon of Rinseless to make gallons of pre-soak mix and clay lube mix. I haven't tried it as a clay lube yet, but I will soon.

gallons is a good question.

I do a lot of waterless washes, so I buy Rinseless Wash (to dilute as waterless) and Waterless Wash by the

gallon. Also buy Detail Spray, APC and Glass Cleaner by the gallon. (My gallon of Shampoo may be too much

Shampoo for me.)

I also have Total Interior and MFR Cleaner gallons that may be too much for me.

With carbon ceramic rotors, I only use Deep Wheel Cleaner when the wheels are off the car. Super VRT,

Leather Conditioner, Leather Cleaner, Carpet/Upholstery Cleaner, H2O G&G joins the list of non-gallon buys for me.

Financially, gallons are a no-brainer...BUT shelf life and product obsolescence needs to be considered. If I can use a gallon in 2 years, I'll definitely buy the gallon. Much longer than that might not make sense.

Pretty much depends on how much you're using, but really Detail Spray and Shampoo in gallons are almost a requirement. Figure if you'll use it a year you're better off buying gallons. Plus you're less likely to get caught short.

Bruce

I learned a lesson on buying gallons... Only buy the stuff you use a ton, just because a gallon is cheaper in the long run sometimes its not always cheaper... I have a gallon of Undercarriage spray that I haven't even opened and it's probably 2 years old. But stuff like soap is different, it's used every time you wash your car (as undercarriage spray is not).

Edited by Kingsford

Rinseless, (I use in various dilutions for all kinds of pre-cleaning and touchups) detail spray, TID, Shampoo,  APC, Glass cleaner are the ones I seem to go through the most so those are all gallon buys now.

Tire Shine, Leather & Interior cleaner, Carpet & Upholstery cleaner I've got in gallons and a few 16oz bottles and should last a long time before I need to purchase again

VRT and HGG I probably would buy in gallons (like the others would last a long time) but can't seem to part with that $$$ when a couple of the 16oz bottles will last pretty good and the gallons are $100+ each

M

I always try new products in 16oz variants and then decide if I need to buy in gallons. Like others have stated...there are many products that don't get used every wash...for example- Upholstry cleaner, Leather cleaner & Leather conditioner, Liquid paint sealant, etc...

On the other hand...there are things that get used ALL the time... And I think that comes down to your specific routine. For me, I use A TON of Rinseless Wash and Detail Spray. I also use a good deal of Glass Cleaner, Waterless Wash, Microfiber cleaner and Tire Shine. So I buy them all by the gallon. And I just tested H20 G&G via a 16oz and was very pleased...so I just ordered a gallon of it with my last order.

Edited by PT3

I agree on the trials in 16oz, then if you like it you have a nicely labeled bottle to work out of. 

In gallons I have the following 

Detail Spray (I have been debating a 5gal of this also)

Glass cleaner (I do my windows at least weekly if not more often) 

Deep wheel cleaner (Due to amount I drive) 

Soon to be rinseless as well. 

Super VRT to be coming along soon as well. 

In 5 Gal I will have All purpose cleaner when my current gallon runs out, I go thru quite a bit actually. 

Also keep in mind, I drive my vehicle about 1,000 Miles per week. Yes per WEEK. She shines like no tomorrow thou.

My routine is about as follows

Weekly or more frequently, Clean windows in and out. 

Weekly rinseless wash

Bi Weekly Tires and wheels (sometimes just APC and sometimes I need the DWC also. 

Bi Weekly VRT

Bi Weekly Buttery Coat

Which semi explains my stock list. 

Quick story, several years ago my neighbor and I went to Thompson racing for a clinic event with the junkman they did a 50/50 for a 5 gallon detail spray. I wanted to win that in the worst way, well my neighbor hits he still has it and it will probably last him a life time. My point 5 gallons is to much unless you detail for a living, 1 gallon is the way to go. Soaps, APC and detail you will burn through for me I need to catch a sale and get free shipping and it's a no brainier.

As an addendum to my previous post...if I did not have carbon ceramic rotors, I might use enough Deep Wheel Cleaner to justify buying a gallon.

Surely I would not use it anywhere near every wash, but a lot gets consumed when it is used. I just did a set of my Z06 wheels (19"x10" front and 20"x12" rear)and darn near emptied a 16 ounce bottle doing both the wheel faces and barrels. Maybe I'm a little trigger happy with the sprayer, but it would be a real challenge for me to do these wheels face and barrel with 8 ounces.

I am a fan of buying concentrated chemicals. I wish Adam's offered concentrates for stuff like APC, DS, WW, RW, and GC. I haven't used any of my Adam's stuff enough to need a refill yet with exception to WW. I tried it on my wife's car and I was down to about 4oz before I was through so I won't be getting anymore of that. It's just too expensive to do WW IMO.

I am a fan of buying concentrated chemicals. I wish Adam's offered concentrates for stuff like APC, DS, WW, RW, and GC. I haven't used any of my Adam's stuff enough to need a refill yet with exception to WW. I tried it on my wife's car and I was down to about 4oz before I was through so I won't be getting anymore of that. It's just too expensive to do WW IMO.

Concentrate sure would save on shipping.

I use about the same amount of product doing a waterless wash. Instead of Waterless Wash, I use 16:1 Rinseless Wash as a waterless wash. It works well for me, and is way less expensive.

I learned a lesson on buying gallons... Only buy the stuff you use a ton, just because a gallon is cheaper in the long run sometimes its not always cheaper... I have a gallon of Undercarriage spray that I haven't even opened and it's probably 2 years old. But stuff like soap is different, it's used every time you wash your car (as undercarriage spray is not).

Well put!  Buy car care products like you are buying MILK!   More because it's cheaper isn't better.  Especially if it ends up expiring.

Another aspect:   We upgrade chemicals often.   Some big ones coming soon.  Overloading on chemicals can be a bummer, especially when you have 3/4 of a gallon of X product, and we re-vamp it!

As for offering concentrates: Great idea!  We have tried that a few times over the past 15 years.  Since the majority of our customers are end users, in their garages, we had problems.  Using full strength.  Mixing improperly.  Also, not using distilled, R/O, other pure water makes chemicals act terribly.  That's asking much of many weekend warriors.

Also, we continuously mix product while it's being filled.   Otherwise, the concentration is frequently inconsistent.

My point:  Dilute a bottle of Rinseless 80% with tap water, and give it a try.  Then, dilute 80% with reverse-osmosis water, and you will be BLOWN AWAY!  The difference in water is so wide, and people often had issues, which we eventually nailed down to the water quality, or mixing system.

Still, when it comes to degreasers, like All Purpose Cleaner, if we sold concentrate, and it was used with high-mineral content water, like anyone with a well, or who lives in the desert, it will not rinse clean.  White residue from the minerals in the water are a drag!

Some of our international distributors certainly get concentrates, and we go through the education process on getting pure water, and effectively mixing.

Well put!  Buy car care products like you are buying MILK!   More because it's cheaper isn't better.  Especially if it ends up expiring.

Another aspect:   We upgrade chemicals often.   Some big ones coming soon.  Overloading on chemicals can be a bummer, especially when you have 3/4 of a gallon of X product, and we re-vamp it!

As for offering concentrates: Great idea!  We have tried that a few times over the past 15 years.  Since the majority of our customers are end users, in their garages, we had problems.  Using full strength.  Mixing improperly.  Also, not using distilled, R/O, other pure water makes chemicals act terribly.  That's asking much of many weekend warriors.

Also, we continuously mix product while it's being filled.   Otherwise, the concentration is frequently inconsistent.

My point:  Dilute a bottle of Rinseless 80% with tap water, and give it a try.  Then, dilute 80% with reverse-osmosis water, and you will be BLOWN AWAY!  The difference in water is so wide, and people often had issues, which we eventually nailed down to the water quality, or mixing system.

Still, when it comes to degreasers, like All Purpose Cleaner, if we sold concentrate, and it was used with high-mineral content water, like anyone with a well, or who lives in the desert, it will not rinse clean.  White residue from the minerals in the water are a drag!

Some of our international distributors certainly get concentrates, and we go through the education process on getting pure water, and effectively mixing.

In my own situation, I am already diluting products like APC because it doesn't make sense to use them at full strength.  Further, there is absolutely no way I would ever buy a product like DS again without it being in concentrate.  Other company products (I won't mention the names) have a degree of error when adding dH20 to where is performs fantastic unless your measurements are grossly off.  It simply doesn't make financial sense to not have clay lube, for example, in concentrated form.  Again, JMHO when comparing to other products that are available.

However, I appreciate the circumstance you are in, particularly when offering a 110% guarantee you do not want an added variable of dilution to affect the quality and end-user's experience with the product.

...My point:  Dilute a bottle of Rinseless 80% with tap water, and give it a try.  Then, dilute 80% with reverse-osmosis water, and you will be BLOWN AWAY!

This has my attention...twice!

I have been diluting Rinseless 16:1 with tap water (sediment filter, water softener, carbon filter, ultra-violet) and using it as waterless wash.

1. 80% is 4:1...which is 4 times more concentrated than I have been using. What is the recommended ratio for Rinseless as waterless wash?

2. I am going to try some distilled water purchased from the grocery store and compare.