Customer Service 866.965.0400

Pole mounted wash wedge!

chops1sc

Question

My wife graciously donated her unwanted Swiffer Sweeper to the cause. I use it with waterless wash towels to reach the center of the hood and roof of our Suburban. Also have used it with glass cleaning towels for the sunroof, center of windshield, even the very difficult to reach inside of the rear hatch glass on the Z06. The towels are bigger than Swiffer intended, but they work just fine.

Great concept! However I'm not too fond of any wash or dry medium "on a steeeek" when cleaning paint and here's why...

By constructing something like what is pictured it essentially become a lever and the physics of a lever is to exert a magnified output force from a smaller input force.

A lever is the simplest machine that has two material parts and two working components such as a beam or solid rod, a fulcrum or pivot point, an input force (or effort in this case) and an output force. Think of when you have to pry a nail out of a board using a crowbar. Little force input is given for a magnified resistance force to lift the nail.

By using a wash wedge or mitt that is extended on a pole, the force exerted at the output end (wash wedge) has the potential to be greater than the input (force from your arms and hands). Without factoring in that your own shoulders, elbows and wrists are levers within themselves, a wash wedge stick may cause extra and unnecessary "grinding" of the paint increasing the odds of inducing swirls. 

On the other hand it will indeed save you bending to wash the lower parts of doors and rocker panels, I get that completely, but if you're like me, that's the last place I want swirls and scratches as I don't wan't to have to lay down on the floor later on wrestling a Flex Polisher to get them out.

I need something on a stick to wash my truck roof, besides that I prefer a mitt. I wash top to bottom so I hit the roof, glass and door pillars with the washer on a stick then I switch to a wash mitt. I do need a better mitt.... Thank god my birthday is coming up in November my family can help feed my addiction!

By using a wash wedge or mitt that is extended on a pole, the force exerted at the output end (wash wedge) has the potential to be greater than the input

Only if the distance from the input to the fulcrum exceeds the distance from the fulcrum to the output. Depending on specifics, there might not even be a fulcrum to lever against.

Personally I am not worried in the least using extensions for my cleaning media. I see the likelihood of excess force/pressure as virtually nil and the increase in my personal safety very real. (This old geezer really should not be balancing on ladders and door sills. I have enough replacement parts in my body!  :lol: ) 

By constructing something like what is pictured it essentially become a lever and the physics of a lever is to exert a magnified output force from a smaller input force.

You're right that it becomes a lever, but not all levers magnify the input force. With the fulcrum being the rear hand, the input being the middle hand, and the output at the wash media this is a class 3 lever, and mechanical advantage will be less than 1 - i.e. force at the wedge is actually less than force at your input hand/arm.

Imagine the opposite case where you're using this pole to lift something at the end of it... it's going to feel heavier than it is.

Along the same lines, though, where the wedge already has its user somewhat disconnected from the feel of their paint relative to a pad or mitt, a wedge on a pole would leave the user very disconnected and they may apply too much force to compensate.

Still I think it's a good idea for those who have big vehicles and a lot of reaching in their wash routine.

These work platforms work great for reaching the roof of center of a hood. I am 6"-2" but not close to reaching the roof on my Silverado. And it also works great to sit on when polising the side of a vehicle.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-39-1-2-in-x-12-in-x-20-9-16-in-Aluminum-Work-Platform-AP-20/100662616

I am currently using 2 old aerobics steps to help me reach the roof and windshield, LOL! They work, but are cumbersome to pull out when drying/washing. I bought a nice knobby MF wash pad mounted on a swivel head on a pole to wash the roof, windshield, and rear glass. It does a great job and to be honest, I am not really worried about swirls on the roof. There are some deep scratches already from the previous owner.

Looks like it would work good.  I would like to see and extension for the foam block used for applying VRT.  I made my own.  I found something at the hardware store.  It's about a 16" handle that just had a microfiber wrap on it..  I bought it to clean the engine of my F-150 as I can't reach.   After I cleaned it I wanted to put VRT on but couldn't reach.  So I got some spray glue and glued a foam block on works pretty good.  I recently purchases a 69 Buick Gran Sport with a vinyl roof.  As a short fat guy I can't reach the middle area to apply VRT. Again I was able to use the thing I made up.  Would love to see heavy duty versions.  Definatley something I would purchase.

Edited by butchman

fulcrum, levers, input force, output...i think these words are getting a little too complicated for this forum, ha!!!!

All I want is a wedge on a stick! LOL

I recently purchases a 69 Buick GS with a vinyl roof.  As a short fat guy I can't reach the middle area to apply VRT. Again I was able to use the thing I made up.  Would love to see heavy duty versions.  Definitely something I would purchase.

Ah those old Buick Glass Sealants are great, LOL! I guess those abbreviations work for cars, too!

All joking aside, I do like the idea though and I will bring it back up for discussion next week!

I constantly use a pole to reach the center of hood, windshield, roof, rear window... As a geezer, it is way safer for me that doing circus acts with stools and step ladders.