Customer Service 866.965.0400

Black car tips

keeylyme

Question

19 answers to this question

Proper washing techniques and equipment really helps prevent swirls.

Use Detail Spray when drying, or better yet, use a Master Blaster to do most of the drying without a towel.  I then follow the forced-air drying with a Borderless Gray towel and pat down any areas that still have drops or drips.

And a good layer or two of protection on your paint makes washing easier. Most of the grime rinses off, so you are not having to scrub at it.

keeylyme,

Dan (TheWolf) gave you the best advice!

You can use the correct Adam's Microsoft towels to dry if you don't have a Master Blaster Air Dryer, but the thing to remember is the more times anything comes into contact with your  paint, there is  more opportunity for "swirls or scratches" to appear.

:iagree: 

The guys have pretty much already said what I was going to, but I will add that ​Brilliant Glaze was one of my best friends when I had my gloss black Trailblazer SS, for when I didn't feel like constantly polishing the truck but still wanted to give it an awesome shine B)

Lubricity is your friend. 

^This.  With proper technique and a product that has good lubrication, you should be able to not worry about touching your paint.  I do mostly rinseless washes as well - technique and lubrication is everything, even when you don't have a Master Blaster you can be swirl free.

I had a customer with a black C6 Vette that I washed almost every Friday.  I would only have to do a light polish about twice a year.  This was long before HGG was created, but it did get either a quick coat of Buttery or Brilliant Glaze about every third or fourth wash.  That customer has since sold that car and moved away, but now I have a new "regular" wash customer with a black BMW M5.  I just had it in for a nice multi-step polish and seal to start it off right, but plan to approach it much the same way as he plans to come by for semi-weekly hand jobs.  

I echo what others have said, but will add that applying only as much pressure as necessary combined with a slick surface will be  your best combination for keeping swirls at bay for the longer periods of time.  

- Darryl

Man Darryl. That's some kind of service your provide. ;)

I almost sent you a bill for the keyboard

LOL! Literally nearly shot coffee out my nose!

Thats almost Coffee Abuse! and I would have had to report that to the proper authorities 

Edited by pirahnah3

Thanks guys for all  the great tips.  The first on this car is to rid it of the swirls.  I don't  have a polisher so I may enlist someone to this task.  Hoping to get that done this week so i can get started on winterizing the car.

Thanks guys for all  the great tips.  The first on this car is to rid it of the swirls.  I don't  have a polisher so I may enlist someone to this task.  Hoping to get that done this week so i can get started on winterizing the car.

You CAN do it by hand, it has been done and done well. It just takes some effort to do. 

I have a couple of black cars. My advice would definitely hone your washing skills as everyone has pretty much stated. Watch the Adams wash videos they are very informative and straight forward. You can also Google car wash tips for YouTube videos out there which go into great detail as well.

I had a customer with a black C6 Vette that I washed almost every Friday.  I would only have to do a light polish about twice a year.  This was long before HGG was created, but it did get either a quick coat of Buttery or Brilliant Glaze about every third or fourth wash.  That customer has since sold that car and moved away, but now I have a new "regular" wash customer with a black BMW M5.  I just had it in for a nice multi-step polish and seal to start it off right, but plan to approach it much the same way as he plans to come by for semi-weekly hand jobs.  

I echo what others have said, but will add that applying only as much pressure as necessary combined with a slick surface will be  your best combination for keeping swirls at bay for the longer periods of time.  

- Darryl

This is what I kept doing. Had a good seal to begin with and only used Adams products. Used a foam gun or pressure washer if I had bad dirt to get it off before the two bucket wash. In the three years I had my first truck I only corrected paint twice and did not really have much to correct. used Buttery and once used Americana. Below shows what my three year old Daily Driver (never in a garage) truck looked like the week I traded it in (top picture) on my new Black GMC.(second picture with black bumpers) Don't let anyone tell you that you can't keep a good looking black daily driver.

post-9285-0-79383200-1447647488_thumb.jpg

post-9285-0-44737800-1447647646_thumb.jpg

Edited by BluedogGMC