Customer Service 866.965.0400

Pressure washer

msingh

Question

I have been using the Ryobi 1700psi 1.2gpm model from Home Depot for almost a year - its a tank, considering its a consumer grade model - aluminum pump, 3 year warranty, 25' hose - its $159 but you can use a HF 20% off one item coupon so I got mine for about $130 - For car washing, most don't want the noise of a gas engine model nor do you really need 3000psi to clean a car - up to a 2000psi electric model is fine

I agree, gas pressure washer is a pain to wash vehicles with. Thought I would use it quite often to do so, but more of a hassle than anything. Mine is 3100 psi which is overkill for car washing, but use it quite often around the house. For strictly car washing, I would stick with electric and around 1500-2000 psi

The "safe" part of your question has no magic answer. Most, if not everyone, would agree the pressures and flow rates Ricky Bobby mentions is safe.

Keep the nozzle a reasonable distance from the car...at least something like 12-18". Don't use a 0 degree tip and don't spray into the edges of things like vinyl graphics. Paint and "Chrome" on plastic trim has been know to lift when abused by a pressure washer ("Don't ask how I know!" :) )

Most electric units are plenty machine for car washing and I find them less hassle than gasoline.  

Just to add my $0.02, if you use one often, the gas powered units are more durable.  At or below 3000psi, you are safe.   If you get closer than 12" to your finish, you are asking for trouble.  Shockingly, Honda motors will outlast just about any pump you buy.  Costco sells a unit for $300 that is a serious bargain: 

http://www.costco.com/PowerStroke-3000-PSI-Pressure-Washer-Powered-By-Honda.product.100224297.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=pressure+washer&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=

If you are looking for an inexpensive, yet effective electric unit, here is a good deal on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-20600-Electric-Detergent/dp/B013BM8B72/ref=pd_sim_sbs_86_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41zuJtXHpVL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR133%2C160_&refRID=0J9557NRQJBT3C5GEQTA

We typically get 2-3 years from our gas-powered pressure washers before the pumps die, and we work them HARD!  Be sure to put fuel stabilizer in the tank before winter, and you will enjoy many effective blastings!

I got a gas, 3000 psi at an estate sale for $29 and with the right tip, and not getting too close, it works fine. Really makes my foam cannon work well. It is a bit of a pain to haul out of garage, fill with gas, etc. but it also does a killer job on the concrete patio and sidewalks. If I were getting a dedicated car pressure washer, I'd go electric.

I use a craftsman 2600 psi Honda powered gas washer. Had it 3 years now. Works well with my foam cannon and use it often for a heavy pre rinse on customers vehicles that have heavy road debris.

post-2511-0-56611400-1449369446_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zach5.9CTD

I have a gas pw but it has trouble idling. I bought a rebuild kit for the carb but I haven't had the time to fix it, lol! I use a Greenworks 1600 from Lowe's with a 10 degree tip and it works great! I am anxious to see how the gas unit will compare though. And somehow I feel like the electric pw is louder than the gas one, lol!

Edited by chops1sc

My only problem with a pressure washer is finding a place in the garage for it.... I find with the right hose attachment I have no problem getting the water pressure I need to blast the stuff that sticks to my car away. 

My only problem with a pressure washer is finding a place in the garage for it.... I find with the right hose attachment I have no problem getting the water pressure I need to blast the stuff that sticks to my car away. 

Pressure washer = foam cannon

Some of the electric pressure washer are quite small, even hand-carry sized:

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/AR-AR610-Pressure-Washer/p2750.html?preferred_placement=1

There is a 1600 psi 1.2 gallon Pressure Washer sold in Home Depot (Ryobi) for $129 that is the size of a decent toolbox, short and compact. Again, aluminum pump and 3 year warranty if you are looking for value and space savings

Edited by TheWolf
PW autoexpanded to Partriot Wax

Bingo!

Reducing your detailing spending?  Rubbish!  :lol:

Because its not just a pressure washer and a foam cannon. It becomes a quick disconnect kit, a second trigger configured for a foam cannon on a custom ultra short wand I just spent time researching. Then it becomes a "tired of managing the hose" so I have to look at a second cart and hose reel for the Pressure Washer, my vacuum, and dang, might as well add the new air blaster to the cart as well so then I've got two carts. a chemical and a machine cart... 

It's a dang slippery slope for me :) 

Because its not just a pressure washer and a foam cannon. It becomes a quick disconnect kit, a second trigger configured for a foam cannon on a custom ultra short wand I just spent time researching. Then it becomes a "tired of managing the hose" so I have to look at a second cart and hose reel for the Pressure Washer, my vacuum, and dang, might as well add the new air blaster to the cart as well so then I've got two carts. a chemical and a machine cart... 

It's a dang slippery slope for me :)

That all sounds good to me... :jester:

20150828_134159.jpg

Love that under mounted hose reel, Surprised you didnt mount the pump right under it and then you might have been able to sneak another bucket underneath....

Pump is way too heavy at 50 pounds.  Just the weight of the hose and reel has made the top shelf of the cart sag.

Also, above the pump is an extension cord reel, for the Sidekick.

^Yes you do - But honestly when I use the pressure washer to pre rinse, foam with the cannon, rinse again, foam it up again, I only use 1 bucket with 2 wash pads, there is so much suds on the surface and the pressure washer helps to get 90% of the dirt and grime off the surface, my wash bucket is fairly clean when using the pressure washer.

I only use one bucket with the foam cannon 95% of the time.  For a typical wash, I used the foam cannon to apply the suds, and then one bucket with shampoo in it as a rinse bucket in between panels.

Also, I do not foam the entire truck at once, as it falls off too fast.  I will foam the top third (roof, windows, bed cover, hood), then wash with the wedge.  Next, foam one whole side in the middle third and wash.  Then the other side, middle third.  Then the bottom third and bumpers, one side at a time.  

Works out to five cannon shots.  Thus, not suds needed from the bucket, since the shampoo is already on the paint in sufficient quantity.  I do add shampoo to the rinse bucket to help clean out the wedge.

The only time I do a standard 2-bucket wash with the foam cannon, using a clear water rinse bucket, is if the truck is really hammered.  But I still use the same cannon routine, just basically have a second rinse bucket.