Customer Service 866.965.0400

Static with mixed towels when washing.

pirahnah3

Question

I was doing some towel laundry and after they came out of the dryer I was starting to fold them for storage and noticed that the glass towels seemed to add a BUNCH of static to the mix. They were stuck to some of my borderless towels and pulling them apart was quite shocking to say the least lol. 

Does anyone else experience this? 

Wash was done with Micro revitalizer and some vinegar in the fabric softener area. 

17 answers to this question

I always hang dry mine. I use the cheap hangers that you get with clothes that have the pinch clips on them to hold the towles then I just hang them on a closet rod that I have hanging in my basement. They look like this and work great, plus they were FREE.

post-9285-0-08079800-1449533939.jpg

Edited by BluedogGMC

Guest washemup

I also have a similar rack. The glass towels will air dry pretty quick without being put in the dryer, usually 30 mins. For my other towels, I run them in the dryer 10-15 minutes on LOW heat only, When they are just lightly damp, then allow to air dry. A plush towel may need to go another 10-15 minute round. Just make sure they are still lightly damp.

Vinegar is ok for softening towels occasionally, but I wouldn't use it every wash.

Edited by washemup

I use my dryer.  But I don't wash the glass rags with the others.  I was the plush towels together.  The older blues and grays together.  The waffle weaves together.  And the glass towels get washed separate. I have a washer that does really tiny loads so that makes it easier.  But I through the plush and blues and grays in together, and the glass and waffles in together.  Works for me. Only issue I ever have with the glass rags is that the edges roll.  

Part of the issue with static is that it's colder outside now. Not sure how that all works because I'm no genius, but I know from all the years of doing laundry that static increases when it gets colder out.  And the colder it gets.........more static. 

I use my dryer.  But I don't wash the glass rags with the others.  I was the plush towels together.  The older blues and grays together.  The waffle weaves together.  And the glass towels get washed separate. I have a washer that does really tiny loads so that makes it easier.  But I through the plush and blues and grays in together, and the glass and waffles in together.  Works for me. Only issue I ever have with the glass rags is that the edges roll.  

Part of the issue with static is that it's colder outside now. Not sure how that all works because I'm no genius, but I know from all the years of doing laundry that static increases when it gets colder out.  And the colder it gets.........more static. 

Colder air and less humid (drier air) makes static stronger.

I've been letting my glass towels air-dry as well the past few times I've washed them because I only have a few and they're easy to hang above my washer and dryer. I will still occassionally get some static buildup on borderless blue and single soft towels even using the lowest or no heat settings on my dryer, but like Roger says, a quick snap and fold and they're fine for me and do not cause any static cling when I put them onto a vehicle again.

I may start air drying more towels more often now though, since I have enough built up in my collection that I won't have to worry about not having any spares for the next job while the other towels dry for a day or two.

Get a humidifier.  It will do wonders.  I have no issues whatsoever with static electricity.  Outdoor thermometer controls indoor humidity levels inside of house.  If your getting a lot of condensation in the bottom of your windows it is too high.  Between 35% and 50% is ideal. 

And anybody reading this thread, don't throw a dryer sheet in with your towels.

Edited by LFairbanks

Thanks, all. We have a large house but its amazing how poorly it allows for open space, and there are a total of 4 closets in the entire house. 

I use my dryer.  But I don't wash the glass rags with the others. *snip* Only issue I ever have with the glass rags is that the edges roll.  

I will take the advice here Rich, I have been having the edges roll on them and I wash glass towels regularly, kinda happens when you go thru at least 3-4 a week, good thing I have stock, 

Yep - lots of static right out of the dryer.

I just give them a good SNAP, fold them up and put them in the cabinet. By the time I need them the static has completely dissipated so there is no problem.

I only got them with the glass towels sticking to the borderless grey/orange ones, You are correct that a quick snap of them and its taken care of. Was just ensuring that I was not doing something wrong or that a simple change in my routine could alleviate the issue.