Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing fine grit

Mooser

Question

I've got to go and try to clean off a car that's in a friends shop.

Problem 1 - the car is in a back corner and cannot move (no hose washing)

Problem 2 - the car is covered in a very fine layer of "dust".

Problem 3 - The "dust" is grit from metal grinding done in another part of the shop that has settled on most everything around

I was going to bring a couple of buckets, lots of towels and do a low pressure air-blow off and then rinseless wash.

Unless anyone want's to talk me into another option

M

17 answers to this question

If the dust/grit is metal particles like u say I would be very cautious doing anything other than a normal 2 bucket wash, as the metal particles could do some damage if wiped on the paint. Will let the experts recommend their advice though

Very easy - Take a 1 Gallon Garden Sprayer with diluted Rinseless 1:16 or 1:8 dilution works fine) pre soak the junk out of the car until all the loose surface grit is dripping and running off the paint.

Take a bucket of towels with Rinseless wash and execute a GDWM on the vehicle, this way you arent introducing old dirt to clean bucket of towels - Dry as normal and enjoy a scratch free cleaning

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Good plan Mooser.

Pre-rinse the car as much as possible.  I use a 1/2 gallon sprayer filled with Rinseless wash (at wash strength).  I would try to soak it enough to get the 'dust' to rinse off.  If no sprayer, really soak the towels, and wring them out over the car.  Get as much 'dust' off a possible before touching with the towels.  Switch sides of the towels and towels more often that usual.

Good Luck!

edit: Darn you Rick Bobby, beat me to it!  :D

Edited by mc2hill

Here's a question - why mess with it? If it were my car, I would just leave it until I could take it out and put a pressure washer to it. Building up a thicker layer of dust isn't going to do any more harm, right?

Under closer to normal circumstances I'd agree. But they paint and weld and all kinds of stuff in this shop and normally this car is covered. Someone left the cover off and they were grinding some metal bars in the back of the other bay and before anyone noticed it was too late.

Can't put the cover back on without cleaning, can't leave it uncovered or it'll get way worse stuff on it soon.

I think it's gonna be just fine.

The grit is from the grinding wheel I'd say (nothing stuck to a magnet and they were grinding cold rolled steel rod ends) and it's a super fine layer that appears to be just sitting there, so it's a matter of floating enough product on there to try to protect the paint (bright white thank goodness)

I've got a supply of ok quality MF clothes that are about to become shop rags 

Thanks to all

Everyone has already said what I was going to, but please let us know how it works out for you. I agree with Wolf and Ricky Bobby in that if you are getting even tiny metal particles in these towels, I would either discard them as shop rags when done, or wash them several times and do the blank CD-R test before putting them on paint again :)

Agreed!

Use compressed air to blow off the majority of dust and grit then go on to the waterless wash method.

I'd say bust out a leaf blower or compressor to try and blow all the junk off at least savings are just scratch city in my eyes lol

That's the plan, low pressure blow off first, trying not to turn it into a sand-blaster LOL

Anyway, I'll let you know how it works out, hopefully back this afternoon. After the initial WTF!, now that I've actually had a look and thought it over I don't foresee any issues.

Worse comes to worse it's a correction (minor) in the spring

M

And it's done. Everyone's happy, zero drama, zero mess, zero damage, and eight new meguires shop towels.

For future reference, grinding dust, like most things when in fine enough form.... actually floats!!!!!

Blew the car off with compressed air (lowest pressure their regulator went was 30psi)

Went and started to pre-saok the car with a 8:1 rinseless and you could actually see the grit/dust run with the solution.

Lightbulb.. grabbed a bottle of rinseless at 16:1 (clay lube) and soaked the car from top down (used two bottles).

Used the compressed air again to push the remaining solution off.

Car looked real good, gave it a quick "normal" rinseless once over and it's as good as it's gonna get. 

Honestly the towels would probably be just fine after a wash but they were nearing their life cycle anyway so now they'll be "good" shop towels.

Gotta like it when something that appears daunting actually goes your way

M