Customer Service 866.965.0400

When to Use and Not Use RW.

TR6speed

Question

I just received my Rinseless Wash and I was going to use it, but not sure when it can and cannot be used based on amount of dirt on the car.  Although mine does not look dirty from 5 feet once you get close you can see teh dirt/sand on it.  It has been very windy for a=over a week now and even though it is kept in the garage it has a good amount of sand/dirt/dust on it and it does not blow off with my compressor.  Is the Rinseless OK for this or should I wait for some warmer weather to wash it.

10 answers to this question

Pre soak it heavily with a  garden sprayer with a dilution of 1:8 to 1:16 - Work slow, methodically and use multiple towels.  You will need about 10-15 towels in a bucket with 2 gallons of water, and 1 oz of rinseless wash.  Let them soak, warm water is better for both the pre-soak and the bucket solution in this weather, if you are up north.

The pre-soak will loosen up and roll off the "sand" and standing dirt off the surface.  Then grab a towel out of bucket, squeeze the excess out, fold it in fours.  Gives you 8 clean sides to work with, should be plenty to clean up a panel.  After using all 8 sides, discard and set aside and grab a clean towel out of the bucket for the next panel.

If you go slow and use proper technique, pre soaking, no pressure when wiping the surface, and multiple towels not reintroducing dirt into the bucket, you will not have a problem at all and will be as safe as a traditional wash.

I have used Rinseless on some dirty paint, usually if I go more than 2 weeks (granted I drive about 1k miles per week) then I will not try just a pure rinseless wash. If I keep up a few times a week I can get away with waterless thou its a heavy application of rinsless made down to waterless. 

It all depends on your weather. I said 10 towels thinking its a northeast or up north salt and snow laden vehicle. I accomplish my rinseless washes using 6 towels plus one large waffle weave towel for drying on most maintenance washes.

Adams video is ok for rinseless washing but honestly the safest way is to use multiple towels and flip to clean sides and never reuse a towel in the same wash session that has been used already, thereby you aren't introducing dirt potentially back on the paint.

Last night I blasted the bulk of nastiness at my local coin-op and then did a rinseless gdwm in the garage with 6 towels.

Today I drove to work and picked up the expected dust, but then there was unexpected snowfall that melted and dripped all over, making for an ugly mess of the dust. So I did another rinseless wash tonight after getting home on dry roads, and got away with only 3 towels, folding my quarters in half for double the working towel area.

For me, if there is caked on whiteness (salt or whatever it is) anywhere on the car, I won't do rinseless without a visit to the coin-op.

I think I could sum up my rule of thumb by saying that if I've driven the car on wet roads - rain or snow or melted runoff - I need a good rinse before cleaning. If I haven't hit any wet roads, the car doesn't pick up so much junk and rinseless is doable. My 2 cents.

Edited by butters

Sounds like you need Waterless Wash more than the Rinseless Wash for now.  The WW will take light dirt off without a hose and a ton of work. Spray it on pretty heavy (depending on how much dirt  you have), let it run a minute or so, then wipe it off with a soft micro.  I once drove my black Vette to a car show about 40 miles away and drove right through a thunderstorm on a four lane. My car was a freakin mess when I got to the show,  a lot dirtier than just dust.  But I used the WW and sprayed it all down well, let it run, and then wiped...........no streaks, no scratches, and a lot of new converts who were watching me like I lost my mind. They were pretty impressed after. 

I ended up doing the complete wash with the two buckets and hose.  Warmed up enough yesterday to do it.

I guess my problem is I must not understand the difference in the Waterless Wash and the Rinseless Wash.  I have been using the Waterless every since it was first introduced as my car is not a daily driver so it never gets real dirty.  I thought the idea of the Rinseless was for either when the weather was to cold to do it outside and also it was for those cars that were just beyond the Waterless Wash.  I also though that if the Master said two Double soft micro fibers to wash with that would be all that would be needed when using the two buckets with a grit guard in each.  After all I use the wash pad and the 2 buckets for the normal wash  Why 6-10 towels with the Rinseless and 1 wash pad for a full wash and only the 1-2 with the Waterless?

What am I missing?

I ended up doing the complete wash with the two buckets and hose. Warmed up enough yesterday to do it.

I guess my problem is I must not understand the difference in the Waterless Wash and the Rinseless Wash. I have been using the Waterless every since it was first introduced as my car is not a daily driver so it never gets real dirty. I thought the idea of the Rinseless was for either when the weather was to cold to do it outside and also it was for those cars that were just beyond the Waterless Wash. I also though that if the Master said two Double soft micro fibers to wash with that would be all that would be needed when using the two buckets with a grit guard in each. After all I use the wash pad and the 2 buckets for the normal wash Why 6-10 towels with the Rinseless and 1 wash pad for a full wash and only the 1-2 with the Waterless?

What am I missing?

You're correct Rinsless washing is for cars that are a bit too dirty to safely clean with a "spray and wipe" Waterless Wash, and for when it's cold it's a much more convenient way to safely wash.

You're confusing yourself because there are 2 recommended methods of doing a Rinsless wash.

One traditional method involves 2 buckets with grit guards, one bucket has solution and one bucket is clean water. You can put 2 double softs in a bucket of solution and clean a panel, then rub it in the water bucket to release dirt into the water bucket. Put towel back in solution bucket, go clean next panel. Etc

The 6-10 towels method was pioneered a couple years back by a detailer named Garry Dean, so it is coined the GDWM or Garry Dean Wash Method. This uses one bucket, multiple towels, and no grit guards, and has rinseless solution only in it.

The premise is to use all 8 clean sides of your towel when cleaning a panel or two, then wring it out and set it aside for the washing machine. Then go into the bucket on the next panel or two with a clean towel, etc. until the car is clean.

Benefits to this method are that its one bucket, less water, and a bit more efficient as there isn't the rubbing of the towel to loosen dirt up in a rinse bucket, then back to the wash bucket. And of course you need to be certain you rinse the towel out well after each panel so you aren't bringing dirt back into your bucket.

Point is to do what you like and what method works for you. I choose to use one bucket and multiple towels and can basically clean 90% of levels of dirt that you would clean using a soap/traditional method.

Choose the method that works for you and enjoy it. If you need any other help let me know. There are tons of videos on YouTube showcasing 2 bucket rinseless wash methods and of course Garry Dean has a channel on YouTube explaining his wash method so you can watch videos of both.

Dan also posted a video Dylan did last year on a VW bus which is basically a modified GDWM.

Thanks Ricky Bobby, now it makes sense.  I was thinking that you were saying use 10 towels and the two buckets.  which seem a little on the over kill side.  The 10 towels does seem like a safer procedure.

Again thanks for the explanation.