Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need new lights in garage

Audog

Question

I need better light in my 3 car garage, what are people using in a ceiling mount type of fixture. I really don't want the 4 foot, noisy ballast old style fluorescents that hang on chains. Ideas?

Those look nice, but wife is insistent about no lights on chains. Her comment was " we spent xxxxxxxx to build this house and we aren't having workshop looking lights" got to admit, flush mounts look nicer, but those SAMs lights are priced right, and wouldn't upset me

I looked hard at these as well. I'm not so sure you  couldn't flush mount them.... 

I was an apprentice electrician for about 3 years and installed a lot of light. I think you made a great choice on the LED's. t-5's are great lights but LED's are very comparable for in price. LED's use a lot less power and are supposed to last longer, so they will save you a few dollars in the long run. You really get what you pay for in lights! 

I looked hard at these as well. I'm not so sure you couldn't flush mount them....

I have the Sam's lights as well but haven't put them up yet. I'm going to do the basement first. I intend to try to flushmount them and I'm going to put a switched outlet at each spot and then leave them on and control them with the switch instead of the chain. Hopefully it works out that way.

You can wire those directly no problem.  And flush mount is not a problem either.  They just take a lil dis-assembly to take out the chain, then just wire it up just like a normal light.

I've been an electrician going on 12 years now, so I'm positive they will work flush mounted without the chains. 

You can wire those directly no problem. And flush mount is not a problem either. They just take a lil dis-assembly to take out the chain, then just wire it up just like a normal light.

I've been an electrician going on 12 years now, so I'm positive they will work flush mounted without the chains.

Sounds like Audog will have to remove his chains. I'll leave mine on but just leave it switched on and use the wall switch. I might shorten them though and still leave something to where I can easily turn certain ones off or on. Thanks.

You can wire those directly no problem.  And flush mount is not a problem either.  They just take a lil dis-assembly to take out the chain, then just wire it up just like a normal light.

You are correct, when I was mounting them all the hardware for the chains was in a separate bag. So all anyone would have to do is disassemble in order to wire it for flush mounting.

Sounds like Audog will have to remove his chains. I'll leave mine on but just leave it switched on and use the wall switch. I might shorten them though and still leave something to where I can easily turn certain ones off or on. Thanks.

Yes,  you would just run your screws or anchors where the chains would go.  You can take out the switch and just wire it together....cleaner look.  But I get it, it's a garage!

You are correct, when I was mounting them all the hardware for the chains was in a separate bag. So all anyone would have to do is disassemble in order to wire it for flush mounting.

Yup, simple enough that way!

I have a 3 car garage setup with 12ft ceilings. I knew I wanted the majority of my lighting on the walls because of the ceiling height and detailing purposes. No LED's for me. I put two 4ft 4 banks in the very center of the garage on the ceiling but the rest 4ft 2 banks on the walls. I also put a 6 light spot light in the center on the ceiling of 16ft door with a dimmer. If I just want to hang out and watch TV I can just put the mood lighting on the girls without all the Fluorescents on. My shop desk also has a 2 bank task light built in. The lamp light at my desk is handy if I'm just reading etc....If you need a paint correction come over you'll find out real quick

post-12968-0-66206300-1458010404_thumb.jpg

post-12968-0-45824400-1458010463_thumb.jpg

post-12968-0-51621200-1458010499_thumb.jpg

post-12968-0-39485600-1458010552_thumb.jpg

post-12968-0-14827300-1458010613_thumb.jpg

post-12968-0-72292000-1458011581_thumb.jpg

Edited by bosco1

You're garage is nicer than my house.

Ha, thank you. I've spent 80% of my house upgrades and decoration on the garage, and the other 20% on the house in the last 3.5 years. I guess that is what happens when you're single :lol: I also spend more time in the garage and the computer than any other part of the house.

I have a 3 car garage setup with 12ft ceilings. I knew I wanted the majority of my lighting on the walls because of the ceiling height and detailing purposes. No LED's for me. I put two 4ft 4 banks in the very center of the garage on the ceiling but the rest 4ft 2 banks on the walls. I also put a 6 light spot light in the center on the ceiling of 16ft door with a dimmer. If I just want to hang out and watch TV I can just put the mood lighting on the girls without all the Fluorescents on. My shop desk also has a 2 bank task light built in. The lamp light at my desk is handy if I'm just reading etc....If you need a paint correction come over you'll find out real quick

You garage is unreal. Bravo good sir!

I've since added the three 4 foot chain mounted LED's to the center section of the garage, hanging just below the garage door tracks so as to create less shadows. I have them linked together on a Wemo wifi switch so that I can turn them on and off by my phone. I want to hook up a motion sensor to the Wemo switch so that they come on each time a garage door opens or I walk out into the garage, so that there is at least some lighting in there to see things without having to turn on the ceiling or wall LED's. I'll have to get those pictures posted here tomorrow.

Lol I cant wait until I can spend the money on the garage. 

I opted to do the house first and well s things always go, it didnt go to plan and is a larger job than expected but the garage is ever so slowly coming to the top of the list. 

To everyone that installed the 4' lights to the ceiling, how difficult was the install? I'm always concerned I'm not going to mount it properly and i'm going to wake up to a 4' dent on the hood of my truck!

The mounting holes are almost always spaced 16" apart so you can mount onto studs. Look for faint nail holes in your ceiling to find the studs. Or use an old fashioned stud finder, a hammer

As long as mounting on studs no worries

The mounting holes are almost always spaced 16" apart so you can mount onto studs. Look for faint nail holes in your ceiling to find the studs. Or use an old fashioned stud finder, a hammer

As long as mounting on studs no worries

The LED strips I installed were not 16 " apart, but some odd 23.5 number, a little drill action solved that problem. One could use Molly anchors, but I wouldn't if lights have a pull chain.

You can also use toggle bolts if you don't hit studs. I've installed hundreds of 4' lights with these, are they are a breeze to use. They make perfect alignment easier. 4' lights don't really weight that much. Even if the anchors do come loose, you've still got the wires that would hold it up.....assuming you did that part right!

On 2016/3/15 at 11:12 AM, Dan@Adams said:

Ha, thank you. I've spent 80% of my house upgrades and decoration on the garage, and the other 20% on the house in the last 3.5 years. I guess that is what happens when you're single :lol: I also spend more time in the garage and the computer than any other part of the house.

You garage is unreal. Bravo good sir!

I've since added the three 4 foot chain mounted garage ceiling lights, hanging just below the garage door tracks so as to create less shadows. I have them linked together on a Wemo wifi switch so that I can turn them on and off by my phone. I want to hook up a motion sensor to the Wemo switch so that they come on each time a garage door opens or I walk out into the garage, so that there is at least some lighting in there to see things without having to turn on the ceiling or wall LED's. I'll have to get those pictures posted here tomorrow.

yes, i have the same feeling with you that the glare and shadow are reduced after switching to led lighting inside garage. but i am quite confused about the power selection. my previous setting is using about 500 watt metal halide lamps. now i am using 300W led. it's brighter

Edited by fixojulu