Customer Service 866.965.0400

Headliner

Audog

Question

18 answers to this question

it should be a foam type fabric with a fiber type backing, I know verts and some other vehicles may be slightly different however most cars and trucks I have torn into in the past were that way. Soaking it with a product is not recommended, light application should be fine. 

I haven't actually tried a steamer on a headliner yet, but I would think it would work ok. You will want to be careful with getting it too hot though, as that might weaken the glue adhesive holding the fabric to the foam and fiberglass backing material.

I usually just take a Cockpit Brush and gently brush the headliner without using any chemicals. If that isn't enough, lightly mist a little bit of Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner into the brush.

Lots of people saying steamer, since Adams doesn't have a steamer, I'm going to ask what a good one might be. I know we shouldn't discus non-Adams stuff, but I really don't have any idea what to look for in a steamer.

Interior cleaner sprayed onto a new lug nut brush. Don't spray onto the headliner itself, this is going to take time but it's worth it. A steamer that I would trust not to soak the material is going to be very expensive!

Do 2square inches at a time.

Edited by BrianT

The way I have tackled headliners in the past is to spritz some carpet or upholstery cleaner on the headliner, then lightly rub with a microfiber until clean. After a few wipes, you'll learn how much cleaner you need and how much pressure to apply on the headliner.

Glad I stumbled across this post. Found out last weekend that my 3rd brake light seal had given out and began to leak. Anyway, I didn't realize it until my girlfriend asked me about water marks on my headliner.

Anyway, sure enough I have gross Brown water marks above my back window.

Any recommendations on how to go about getting these out without releasing the glue on my head liner and causing it to sag? Picture attached. Can see water mark above plastic on rear pillar where seat belt is housed behind door and most obvious Mark is below clothes hanger hook.

post-2511-0-02951000-1458177059_thumb.jpg

First and foremost, make sure your leak is fixed!

A steamer would help lift the stain, and then blot with a microfiber towel. Your headliner looks like it could take a slightly more aggressive method, perhaps carpet and upholstery cleaner sprayed on the stain, and then blot with microfiber towel. Whatever you do, DO NOT SCRUB!

If you end up separating the glue from the headliner, don't worry. There's glue for that....ask me how I know!

First and foremost, make sure your leak is fixed!

A steamer would help lift the stain, and then blot with a microfiber towel. Your headliner looks like it could take a slightly more aggressive method, perhaps carpet and upholstery cleaner sprayed on the stain, and then blot with microfiber towel. Whatever you do, DO NOT SCRUB!

If you end up separating the glue from the headliner, don't worry. There's glue for that....ask me how I know!

Are you talking about the headliner adhesive that is in a orangish aresal can?? If so, that stuff works awesome! I pretty much redid probably 65 percent of my headliner in my old Camaro with that stuff. awesome product.

I had a similar problem in a boat. Woolite in a carpet cleaning machine worked REALLY well.

Woolite for lights and Woolite extra dark care for darks works great for me, especially the Ebony/Charcoal GM interiors..

Usually the first thing I try on interior fabric stains is seltzer water though but if that doesn't work I get the Woolite..