Customer Service 866.965.0400

Super VRT or Tire Shine?

iono11200

Question

This forum seems like a wealth of information and I'm glad to be a part of it. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my very first Adam's Purchase. I have but ONE question. I'm undecided about whether I should use Super VRT or Tire Shine for the tires on my 16' Tacoma. I get the sense that these are 2 different products which produce 2 different types of results. Any suggestions are appreciated.

25 answers to this question

Welcome! If your looking for that new tire look, I would go with the super vrt. It's non greasy and it will not sling no matter how hard you try. Super vrt can also can be used on trim as well and has spf 35 in it. If your looking for the shiner look, go with the tire shine. It produces a deep rich shine. I'd say about 65% shiner than super vrt. But with the tire shine it can only be used on tires and isn't made for trim. And if you wanted it shiner you can add multiple coats. Both products are truly amazing. It's just your preference weather if you like the shiny look or the new tire look.

Edited by ccommodari

If you only want to pull the trigger on one item, I'd go for the VRT.  It's very useful on all of your rubber and plastic items.  The VRT will provide a very clean matte finish whereas the Tire Shine will have more gloss.

If you buy both, you definitely won't be disappointed!  

The word "shine" in Tire "Shine" is a little bit of a misnomer. Does it shine? Yes, but its not glossy shine. Can it? ABSOLUTELY! 

Here's I apply it, and am VERY satisfied with the flat "new rubber" look it gives me. I spray 4 or 5 sprays onto the foam applicator block and run it around the tire. after I make sure it's nice and even, since I'm wearing gloves, I either flip the foam applicator over or grab a "new" one and ring around the tire. This knocks some of the shine down.

I started with VRT, but got some tire shine from a mystery box and finally gave it a try. it is now my default tire dressing. I don't like glossy reflective shiny tires, and Tire Shine won't give you that in one round of application, it can however, if you go for that. 

I wrote a review on Tire Shine with some photos that's worth reading. 

It's been suggested that Tire Shine be renamed Tire Dressing, because I think there's a lot of people who don't try it because of the word "Shine." 

In a comparison test I did (left side vs. right side) VRT lasted about half as long as Tire Shine did in the same period of time, so you'll get more longevity out of Tire Shine than you will VRT on the tires. 

I, too, like Tire Shine over sVRT on tires.  I'm able to get the same clean, matte, black look but it seems to last a bit longer.

However - before Tire Shine was available I used sVRT on my tires and it was the best product I'd ever used on them.  So you're choosing between #1a and #1b.

If you spray it on the tires and clean it of the wheels it's really shinny. There are so many ways to apply tire shine you can get any result you want. With SVRT you don't have as many options. My opinion.

I sometimes use the Tire Shine as a trim dressing also. It makes everything really shinny :D.

I've been playing around with all the products to see what else they can be used as/for. Almost everyone of Adams products can be used as a pinch hitter in a crunch. One of many reasons I love the products.

I sometimes use the Tire Shine as a trim dressing also. It makes everything really shinny :D.

I've been playing around with all the products to see what else they can be used as/for. Almost everyone of Adams products can be used as a pinch hitter in a crunch. One of many reasons I love the products.

I've been tempted to do this.... have just always chickened out. 

The word "shine" in Tire "Shine" is a little bit of a misnomer. Does it shine? Yes, but its not glossy shine. Can it? ABSOLUTELY! 

Here's I apply it, and am VERY satisfied with the flat "new rubber" look it gives me. I spray 4 or 5 sprays onto the foam applicator block and run it around the tire. after I make sure it's nice and even, since I'm wearing gloves, I either flip the foam applicator over or grab a "new" one and ring around the tire. This knocks some of the shine down.

I started with VRT, but got some tire shine from a mystery box and finally gave it a try. it is now my default tire dressing. I don't like glossy reflective shiny tires, and Tire Shine won't give you that in one round of application, it can however, if you go for that. 

I wrote a review on Tire Shine with some photos that's worth reading. 

It's been suggested that Tire Shine be renamed Tire Dressing, because I think there's a lot of people who don't try it because of the word "Shine." 

In a comparison test I did (left side vs. right side) VRT lasted about half as long as Tire Shine did in the same period of time, so you'll get more longevity out of Tire Shine than you will VRT on the tires. 

This is exactly how I do it.  I liked VRT but not how quickly it would fade.  By using this method with the Tire Shine, I get nearly the same matte dark look with much more longevity.  I bought a gallon of the Shine but after doing my tires like this I think that was a mistake as it is gonna last me a LONG time. 

I still love VRT for my trim, rubber, engine bay though.  Its a great product and when mixed 50/50 with distilled water makes a nice sprayable dressing for the engine bay if you don't have In/Out Spray

I've been tempted to do this.... have just always chickened out. 

I get bored very easily so last time I did the wife's TBSS I tried it and it turned out really good. it's only been a week so I can't say how long it will last but I will keep you posted. 

I'd go with Tire Shine because it gives you either the matte black look or the super glossy look depending on how you apply it and it lasts a few weeks usually. I go through half a bottle a year and I have 2 vehicles, just to give you an idea on how little you need to use and how long it lasts

I'd go with Tire Shine because it gives you either the matte black look or the super glossy look depending on how you apply it and it lasts a few weeks usually. I go through half a bottle a year and I have 2 vehicles, just to give you an idea on how little you need to use and how long it lasts

Half a bottle? i burned through the first half of a bottle fairly quickly which is why I went to the gallon. I'm washing both vehicles on average every 2 to 3 weeks. 

I will say using everything out of the 32oz dilution bottles kind of distorts how much or how little product you're actually using,. 

I have been using TS since it came out, which is about 20 months.  I found right away that it does last longer than SVRT, and the application method that John described results in a finish that is not too shiny.

Do note that the TS needs to be applied to tires that are stripped of any other dressings.  If the TS is applied over another dressing, or the previous dressing was not completely stripped, then you could find that it does no last as long.  It might take a few washes and scrubbings with APC to get the tires down to bare rubber.

When I bought my truck, the dealer had used some nasty dressing that left black smudges on everything.  It took some effort to get it all stripped off.

As far as amount of product used, I have big sidewalls on these 35" tires, and my averaged use over the past 20 months has been about 40 oz/year.  The monthly average may not seem a little low, but the rate of consumption varies with the seasons.

01.JPG

03.JPG

05.JPG

Dan awesome tips and feedback! I also like your consumption rate, you are probably one of the few that requires gallon purchase lol!

My wife's 225/40/18's and my 275/40/20 and 315/35/20 are probably half of the surface area of yours in total, someday when I get a bottle of Tire Shine I will def start with 16 oz!

Dan awesome tips and feedback! I also like your consumption rate, you are probably one of the few that requires gallon purchase lol!

My wife's 225/40/18's and my 275/40/20 and 315/35/20 are probably half of the surface area of yours in total, someday when I get a bottle of Tire Shine I will def start with 16 oz!

Yep, the 315/70/17 are dressing hogs, but I like big tires!  :lol:

Half a bottle? i burned through the first half of a bottle fairly quickly which is why I went to the gallon. I'm washing both vehicles on average every 2 to 3 weeks.

I will say using everything out of the 32oz dilution bottles kind of distorts how much or how little product you're actually using,.

Your wash frequency is about the same as mine but I don't use tire shine at every wash given that it lasts me about 2 washes. I guess I'm cheap on my applications lol. I did use the glossy method for the 1st time I did use more than the matte black method

I really like the new tire shine. I was strictly a VRT guy until the new tire shine came out. The VRT has more of a matte finish versus the more shiny finish you can get from the tire shine. So it is all in what you like as far as finishes go.