Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leather Conditioner or VRT?

sahls01gmc

Question

All 3 of my vehicles have cloth interiors, but they all have a vinyl type dash and door panels.  What would be the best product to use on those?  VRT works great on rubber trim and plastics, but it makes it super slick.

A 4oz. bottle of Leather Conditioner would seal the deal for me......just an idea.   :jester:

22 answers to this question

VRT will be too shiny, you'd have to dilute it probably 3:1 to get it to leave the matte finish that Leather Conditioner leaves.  Michael is correct some like a dilution of VRT (2:1 or 3:1) to use as a sprayable dressing for door panels so it beads water if they get rained on.  Other that that - Use the Leather Conditioner.

All 3 of my vehicles have cloth interiors, but they all have a vinyl type dash and door panels.  What would be the best product to use on those?  VRT works great on rubber trim and plastics, but it makes it super slick.

A 4oz. bottle of Leather Conditioner would seal the deal for me......just an idea.   :jester:

For what it's worth, I condition my seats once a month to keep them as protected and soft as possible. A 4oz bottle would be gone in 1 month for me after applying to the daily driver and my other toy, and that's just on the seats and leather door panels...I use TID on the dash and everywhere else because I don't like having any shine at all to those areas   :)

Great points everyone!  The 4oz I'd like to use as a sample, and decide from there.  I agree I don't want any shine on the dash either.  I think I'll play around with the VRT since I have it, then maybe I'll spring for Leather Conditioner down the road if I'm still not happy.

Who knows, maybe there's a new product coming out soon that will answer my question for me!   :ph34r:

The leather conditioner is phenomenal and the odor it leaves is to die for. Spend the 25 bucks you will thank yourself. I have done 4 suv this month with 3rd rows and I'm only down 1/4 a bottle. The product goes a long way I use a microfiber wax pad with the finger holders to apply it extra quick and effective

I use Leather Conditioner on my entire interior except my door panels.

I use SVRT on my door panels, that way when it rains it doesn't run when you open the door. Leather Conditioner will show streaks.

Who knows, maybe there's a new product coming out soon that will answer my question for me!   :ph34r:

Well the question really has been answered, in this case there are three possible answers.

1) SVRT

2) Leather Conditioner

3) Total Interior Detailer

SVRT will do the job but you might not like the shine, it is really intended for exterior use anyways. And you already have some so 

The leather conditioner is amazing, once you try it you will be kicking yourself for waiting so long to try it. It protects and smells great but you would rather a smaller bottle for lower cost. 

Then there is TID, wonderful stuff and might be the best of both worlds for you. No shine and lower cost. And it smells great too.

Where do you live ? Maybe there is another member, or dealer, in your area who would let you try a little LC or TID

My only drawback is I don't have leather seats, but who could turn down that smell though?

With all of the applicators available, which ones do you like best for applying to the dash and door panels?

I've used both the red interior applicator and a microfiber applicator for panels on the inside. I experimented once and used svrt on the pass side door panel and leather conditioner on the driver side. The svrt obviously held up to rain and use a bit longer but I liked the finish with the conditioner better. There is no leather in my truck but I prefer leather conditioner on all my plastics.

My only drawback is I don't have leather seats, but who could turn down that smell though?

With all of the applicators available, which ones do you like best for applying to the dash and door panels?

Leather Cleaner = Red UFO Pad.

SVRT = Foam Block.

Glad I stumbled across this thread since I asked a very similar question in another thread. I also have no leather in my truck except for the console and the steering wheel. I use the total interior detailer and it works fantastic, and I love the new look or "matte" finish. But being in Texas and dealing with the heat and the sun I was looking for something that would add a protection to all the plastics ( dash, door panels, etc.). So looks like I will be ordering some Leather Condition to try out on it!

Thanks fellas.

^yep it's great on plastic if you like to dress it and add uv protection it leaves a nice finish.

2 tips on plastic especially on interiors. If it hasn't been cleaned first, clean it. 2nd, a little goes a long way and I mean it. You probably need about 4-5 pea sized drops on a Red UFO applicator to dress a door panel.

If you find you apply it too much or has a bit more sheen than you would like, after fully applying to the whole interior, wipe it down with a dry Utility towel to buff down and knock the excess product and sheen out. It will also help level the look.

Just for reference, here's our new video on Leather Conditioner being used on multiple surfaces of the interior to show how it can be buffed down to a satin or matte finish:

We had so much fun shooting these videos - they were a lot of work, but I really hope you like them! This particular one, we were all joking around about Calvin and I standing off camera the whole time trying to be as still as statues holding the LED lighting at just the right angles where a tripod couldn't exactly reach - talk about a shoulder and upper-arm workout :lol: