Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leather Conditioner

Tkitch92

Question

Hello everyone. Yesterday I applied the adams leather conditioner onto my seats. 2014 Cruze LTZ. Once applied the seats looked darker and a little shiny, they looked good! But today when i went out to my car they looked the same as before i applied the conditioner. I kno some would ask if the seats were dry to begin with, but I clean and condition them every month on average. Does anyone know if this product is supposed to dry up this quick? Any tips/suggestions. Thanks! 

25 answers to this question

Here's the thing with Leather Conditioner that most people using it for the first time don't realize.  Once you've cleaned your seats well, you should apply the leather conditioner.  I like to apply it with a microfiber towel or with my hands.  Let it sit for a couple minutes, then wipe it down good with a clean microfiber towel.  A LOT of times you'll see streaking or an uneven appearance after a few hours or the next day. It's normal. That's because your seats and leathers/vinyls, etc. are not equal in their dryness. The areas that are dryer will absorb the product quicker and look duller or streakier.  The solution is as simple as reapplying.  You may even need to do it three or four times until it's uniform. But once you get it all evened out , you should only need to do it once the next time.  It's just a matter of getting it all equally treated and moisturized.  

It is supposed to leave a "satin" finish, so it should be glossy, smooth, sleek etc. Correct?

Not necessarily a glossly finish but a clean even finish. Some seats that have never been conditioned may soak up the first application, try a second and see what happens, can't hurt.

I have found it is not shiny like that other product that is suppose to condition leather. A satin finish is not a shiny finish per say, it is just a hair bit shinier then flat or matt. I prefer the non-shiny on my black leather. I think when it shines it looks more fake but that just my preference.

Hopefully someone can give some options. Just received the leather conditioner in the mail yesterday and since I was doing my yearly full paint correction on my personal vehicle, decided to also clean up the interior. I applied the product and took the pad and followed to reduce the "sheen". But, this stuff made my steering wheel super slick. Was surprised as it was a selling point for me. Thinking about just shooting the steering wheel with total interior detail and see if that will help as normally that is what I use on all steering wheels. Any ideas to solve this or make the conditioner work for steering wheels without the slippage?

The stuff works really well on the seats. It is more slick than the other stuff I use, but luckily enough my truck drives as fast as a turtle walks.

I think it depends on the car and steering wheel. My truck steering wheel takes the LCON better than my wife's car. So her car I stick to TID. The truck I use LCON and just buff it/wipe it down after a bit to knock down the shine and greasiness.

Edited by Erictski

If the wheel is maintained regularly it shouldn't make it slick. If it needs cleaning then deep clean the wheel with a diluted apc or LIC first before applying conditioner.

Wheel is maintained regularly and cleaned prior with leather interior cleaner.

Edited by Goose8651

I think a lot of it depends on the quality and age of the leather, some newer heavily treated leather won't allow the leather conditioner to soak in as much so it will be slicker and have a glossier look. While leather that has been around awhile will allow more to soak in leaving it less slippery and less shiny. 

I think a lot of it depends on the quality and age of the leather, some newer heavily treated leather won't allow the leather conditioner to soak in as much so it will be slicker and have a glossier look. While leather that has been around awhile will allow more to soak in leaving it less slippery and less shiny. 

Probably also has to do with type of leather.  When my parent's had a 2012 Kia Optima, LC would make the steering wheel some what slippery, but in our Audis, the steering wheel feels no different at all with LC.

Edited by SYMAWD

its not paint!  satin FTW...nothing looks worse than greasy leather or tires!

You like your leather one way I like it another. I like it shiny but not greasy! Your right nothings worse than greasy leather

Ok guys i appreciate all the tips and tricks. I believe the problem was that my meguiars leather conditioner was not really feeding the leather like the Adams does. The seats look dark and rich now.

I guess I can't post in the garage sale thread since I don't have enough posts, but if anyone wants my leather conditioner, I'm up for trades. Unfortunately, the product did not meet my expectations for its intended use. You live and learn and that's the beauty of detailing finding the best fit!