Customer Service 866.965.0400

Why Adam's Paint Correction Videos Are Misleading

So this topic gets locked? Search the topic title and I can't reply as the OP? Something not right here.

I like the words that Stripeace uses; "Incendiary". I don't want to be incendiary, but I do want to make my time away from my family worthwhile. Every minute that I am working on my car is a minute I am away from my family. I do not mind investing my time if I see results. So I go to reply after a business trip and then the original topic is blocked? Again, not trying to be "incendiary" here, but I think I may have hit a nerve. C'mon.....I have spent a sh%$ load of time and my topic/posts gets blocked? Something not right here.

Adam......any thoughts or will you defer to someone else? Let's here from you.

I think if time is something you are concerned about you should stay out of paint correction because it takes time. A TON OF IT to get it right. There are no short cuts. I am unclear about how the videos are misleading and I disagree 1000 percent with your stance. Several others will stand on the same side of that argument as well. If these videos and products and techniques don't work then why do you see so many saying they have gotten excellent results. I have gotten great results with every vehicle I have detailed including my own. Probably detailed near 100 vehicles in the past 5 years. Not all of them got paint correction but any that did were miles beyond where they started.

Jeff, your original thread on this topic was locked as it started to trend to the negative in the responses, as Rich explained in the last post.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/30783-why-adams-paint-correction-videos-are-misleading/?p=481244

Stating that the videos are misleading is inaccurate.  Expecting to become skilled at paint correction by watching a video or two is unrealistic.  Much like no one is going to become a master chef by watching the Food Channel.  It takes practice, research, asking questions, and more practice.

If you think it was unfair that your thread was locked, then we can see how responses in this thread turn out. 

EVERYONE - Please be constructive in your responses, no bashing, just try and be helpful, even if you disagree with the original statement.

As stated, the thread was locked due to the growing negativity of the thread, not so much the initial post. Also as stated, paint correction is a work of art, and something that takes time, practice, knowledge, skill, and sometimes even some luck. The videos provide a great starting point into the general ideas of how to do everything, but just like everything else in life, the only way you truly learn how to do anything is to go out, make a few mistakes, learn from them and continue on. There is simply no way that any detailer or company could make a video series to cover every possible scenario (in your case, the rear end being dirtier/more contaminated). That is the purpose of the forum, being able to ask more specific questions to get more specific answers. We're all here to help each other out and to enjoy this shared passion of ours, so hopefully everyone can move on and treat this as just another learning experience. To the OP, if you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me or anyone else on this forum (I know you asked for Adam, but the team is very busy this time of year so that may not happen).

I like to think the customer is always right. But when you start using an informational Forum to start multiple negative topics about a company with no logical thought, or proper grammar, or sentence structure behind your argument......

I was the one who locked your thread. It ran its course and there was nothing more to say. It was getting personal and aggressive towards some other members.  That's the way this forum is run. If anyone has something to contribute, good or bad, then fine.  But when others start the name calling or bashing then one of us will step in and lock it up.  Your point was appreciated, but the original thread was done. 

We're all big boys and girls here.  Some can't behave like it though.  And when that happens we step in.  Don't think it's something we enjoy doing or do because we don't happen to agree with you or because you didn't like a product.  We welcome all opinions.  I explained that to you in the last post in the original thread. 

And this thread should be locked too.  It too has run its course. 

I don't think Adam leads you to believe one pass is all you need in the videos or that correction is simple or super fast with their products compared to the other manufacturers.

Paint correction takes a ton of time depending on the results you want to achieve.

I don't think Adam leads you to believe one pass is all you need in the videos or that correction is simple or super fast with their products compared to the other manufacturers.

Paint correction takes a ton of time depending on the results you want to achieve.

:iagree:     Even to the more experienced detailers, using various polishers to obtain the desired results takes many hours.

No such thing as "instant gratification" when correcting and detailing a vehicle.

Jeff to some extent all marketing would make you believe things are easier than they are. Have you ever watched HGTV?  And the folks at Home Depot would make you think Grandma could build her own house including pouring the concrete and doing her own electrical.

As you found out, paint correction is time consuming and hard work. I personally don't believe Adam's videos are misleading when it comes to this either. I also don't buy into all the  "we have the best" because every company says that.  I do think most everything they sell is excellent stuff and I believe its the best "system" going.

On a final note I understand your frustrations with the forum. Its heavily moderated and you will never be able to totally say what you want including naming another brand. That's just how they roll and it is what it is.

Hey Jeff, How's life going beyond the garage? How's the family doing? Whats going on at work?

I ask because I can literally FEEL the stress and frustration from your posts.... I'm just wondering if maybe theres not something else going on here, and the detailing is getting some mis-directed frustration and stress? 

It may just be that you've got the wrong expectations for the wrong product? I know its very thin ice I'm walking on here, but have you maybe looked for a product that offers faster correction?

On a final note I understand your frustrations with the forum. Its heavily moderated and you will never be able to totally say what you want including naming another brand. That's just how they roll and it is what it is.

Hey Rich, the difference between this forum and other forums that you are more familiar with, is that this one is paid for by Adam's Polishes.  Most other forums have sponsoring vendors, sponsoring memberships, sell advertising space, have embedded advertisements, etc.

I am sure you can see that it is a reasonable business decision for Adam's to not allow members to promote or link competitor's products on their forum.

Hey Rich, the difference between this forum and other forums that you are more familiar with, is that this one is paid for by Adam's Polishes.  Most other forums have sponsoring vendors, sponsoring memberships, sell advertising space, have embedded advertisements, etc.

I am sure you can see that it is a reasonable business decision for Adam's to not allow members to promote or link competitor's products on their forum.

And Adam wants this forum to be family friendly.  No girlie pics, no swearing, no lewd jokes, etc.  This is Adam's forum.  His forum, his rules.  

Adam's does make it look easy. Very easy. Until you go to correct your vehicle with a polisher in your hands for the very first time and bam! Reality check it is more work than you would ever think being a noob to paint correcting. It is 100% not Adams fault. He's just showing techniques and how to use a polisher with his polishes. Like everybody else said their is to many variables between vehicles. It can be easy or a week long job. If you want absolute perfect get your magic wand and wish for it or just shut up and work for it

Hey Jeff, How's life going beyond the garage? How's the family doing? Whats going on at work?

I ask because I can literally FEEL the stress and frustration from your posts.... I'm just wondering if maybe theres not something else going on here, and the detailing is getting some mis-directed frustration and stress? 

It may just be that you've got the wrong expectations for the wrong product? I know its very thin ice I'm walking on here, but have you maybe looked for a product that offers faster correction?

This.

I've never found Adam's videos to be misleading. If you want a 2 day long video on exactly how to do a detail, then you might want to spend your time elsewhere. As with everything in life, common sense rules. Just as every car is different, every detailer is different. You have to keep practicing until you figure both out. No hand holding around here.

Edited by GXPaycheck

And Adam wants this forum to be family friendly.  No girlie pics, no swearing, no lewd jokes, etc.  This is Adam's forum.  His forum, his rules.  

And I greatly appreciate that. The atmosphere here is as good as it gets. I really enjoy the super friendly people that are BEYOND helpful and general positive attitude so there is something to be said for the moderators keeping things in check :)

What i do understand is this is Adams choice and I support his decision.  For the record I have owned and sold over 20 LARGE forums, moderated and administered another dozen. The majority of those forums where not sponsored in any traditional way and did not sell advertising space while until after they were sold.

So whether we agree on how Adam runs the business does not matter as its their business to run.  I just know that Adams moderates what is said here and hand picks the product reviews they post. So I take everything with a grain of salt which I do with every product I purchase.

We do not need to agree on this. I am a customer and enjoy the product, forum support and the well documented process which has drastically improved my detailing abilities in just a few short months.

As I said above. It is what it is.

And I greatly appreciate that. The atmosphere here is as good as it gets. I really enjoy the super friendly people that are BEYOND helpful and general positive attitude so there is something to be said for the moderators keeping things in check :)

What i do understand is this is Adams choice and I support his decision.  For the record I have owned and sold over 20 LARGE forums, moderated and administered another dozen. The majority of those forums where not sponsored in any traditional way and did not sell advertising space while until after they were sold.

So whether we agree on how Adam runs the business does not matter as its their business to run.  I just know that Adams moderates what is said here and hand picks the product reviews they post. So I take everything with a grain of salt which I do with every product I purchase.

We do not need to agree on this. I am a customer and enjoy the product, forum support and the well documented process which has drastically improved my detailing abilities in just a few short months.

As I said above. It is what it is.

Not sure where you get your information, but Adam does NOT hand pick the reviews.  The reviews that are written are done by customers and not censored.  

Well maybe someone can explain to me why out of the 30 reviews that I wrote on various products 28 of them being 5 stars and two of them being three stars ( in my opinion of course) the three star reviews got left out.

Once again, is what it is.

Edit: One review was 3 stars and the other 4 stars. The other 28 where 5 stars.

Edited by rrmccabe

I am a customer and enjoy the product, forum support and the well documented process which has drastically improved my detailing abilities in just a few short months.

Well said, I think this sums up the OP's frustrations. This really is an easy system to use with minimal chance of causing more damage than what you started with, but it is possible if not done correctly. I remember the first time I went around a vette with a PC, I thought I was in way over my head and there was no way I could possibly fix any swirls without spending 6 months locked in my garage. A few weeks later, with a little practice under my belt, I just looked back and laughed. It's not magic, it takes some practice to get it right and once you do "get it" you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.

I believe I asked in the initial thread, where is the OP located, i'm sure there is a member in the area who would be willing to assist. I've done it myself and have meet some good friends by doing this. 

Time is precious to us all, some of us do this as a form of therapy and exercise. To others it isn't worth the time. No harm no foul, that's why there are professional detailers, if it's not your cup of tea pay someone else to do it  :2thumbs:

The first time, actually few times, I used a machine to correct a car, I didn't get the results I wanted. Not because of misleading videos, not because of products, not the machine, BUT MY SKILL LEVEL at doing the job. One can't ride a bicycle like a BMX pro, of hit a golf ball like a PGA member the first time, it simply isn't possible. So why would one expect to get a show quality finish on a car by watching a video? I watched Adams videos and thought they were, and still are, very informative, but I realize the guy has polished more cars than I ever will and really knows his stuff. I was aware of my beginner skill level, and just kept practicing and refining my process and technique, using Adams videos as my goal result. Guess what, a couple of years later, and my cars are at the level I am happy with. I thank Adams videos as giving me a roadmap to follow, and Adams Company for offering the products and tools to get the results. Just my 2 cents worth.