Customer Service 866.965.0400

H2O guard and gloss clear coat damage?

Could be any number of things. G&G or Detail Spray would not have caused this. But I wonder what else was on the paint prior to the wash. This is clearly some form of chemical damage. That much is certain. But what chemical? My vote is some sort of hydraulic fluid (brake, transmission, etc).

No brake work has been done. The only other theory I might have is windshield washer fluid. I sprayed some way earlier in the morning to clean off the windshield. But that should have come off during the wash / clay? Maybe I missed those spots and a reaction happened with that? The first location is up in the middle of the hood which is a tough reach. The other is the drivers side fender.

If it's on your roof or door panels or trunk, it could possibly be the washer fluid. Considering the heat of the day though, it could have dried quickly on the hot paint and caused that, or it could have evaporated too quickly to harm the paint.  But when you explain where the spots are, it's doubtful. It's nearly impossible to say.  No chance you got battery acid or antifreeze on it?  Kids?  Something splash on it in the garage maybe?  I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that Adam's is so darn gentle on paint with all their products that it's just hard to imagine any of the line being able to do that.  

I'm going to agree with Phokus here, and suggest you give Adam or any of his crew a call. They will definitely want the unused product back for testing.  And you can trust that they'll be up front with you. 

If it's on your roof or door panels or trunk, it could possibly be the washer fluid. Considering the heat of the day though, it could have dried quickly on the hot paint and caused that, or it could have evaporated too quickly to harm the paint.  But when you explain where the spots are, it's doubtful. It's nearly impossible to say.  No chance you got battery acid or antifreeze on it?  Kids?  Something splash on it in the garage maybe?  I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that Adam's is so darn gentle on paint with all their products that it's just hard to imagine any of the line being able to do that.  

I'm going to agree with Phokus here, and suggest you give Adam or any of his crew a call. They will definitely want the unused product back for testing.  And you can trust that they'll be up front with you.

No it's our daily kid mobile sees no garage time. I have kids but the baby was the only one around and he was playing with the wash bucket. Now that I think even more the hose I use makes the water cloudy for the first 5-10 minutes of use. However I let it run until it is clear. Will definitely be placing a call later today. I almost want to try and replicate the results since it is likely I will be having to get the two panels repainted.

Thank you to the people who actually gave suggestions.

Sounds like some type of contamination.  Maybe you need a better water source if it is cloudy.  Just because you run it until its clear doesn't mean its clean.  Few thoughts come to mind.

- Be a little less critical to those that are trying to help because they are correct when saying there is nothing in the Adams products that will do that to your paint.  They are very gentle products and are made to enhance and protect your vehicle not damage. 

- Are you using an original Adams spray bottle that has only been used for either DS or HGG?  If using a different or used spray bottle maybe it became contaminated

- Work in the shade...much easier of an environment to work in both for you and the product

- Could there have been something in your wash media, soap, or bucket?

- Best bet is like others have said to contact Adams directly for support.  Good luck it is frustrating but the products you are using are proven winners and they will help you out.

To just have two spots like that suggests something dripped on it rather than product use.  Product use would have caused a much larger issue, more widespread rather than just a spot here and a spot there.  Even something in a wash bucket would contaminate a large area rather than just two spots.  I'm still more inclined to think it's bird pee or poop that dried in the hot sun without being noticed. 

Sorry I'm just getting to this now - had a family emergency last night and I won't be on here much today either.

I had the majority of this response typed when John called me just now, so I'm going to leave it as reference. He has already answered most of my questions below and it sounds like you used the product exactly as recommended in terms of time, number of panels, etc:

H2O Guard & Gloss is safe to use in the hot sun, provided all instructions are followed properly, and you work quickly on 1 or 2 panels at a time, to avoid any streaking. It should not cause any damage to clear coat. The only negative effects I have witnessed are streaking from applying too much product and little gray specs on textured plastic and paint from letting it completely dry onto the surface.

This Saturday I washed and applied HGG to a black metallic Dodge Ram Megacab dually in direct sun, 92 F and very high humidity with zero issues, other than gallons of sweat pouring off of my body. Paint on the Ram was around 151 F prior to washing it, using my cheap digital infrared temperature gauge from Home Depot. We made sure to constantly wet-down the panels we didn't treat yet, and did 1 panel at a time for the HGG application. I then did a dark blue Dodge Ram and an Orange Metallic Chrysler Conquest drag car inside of the shaded garage, but it was still 86 F in the garage. Zero issues on all 3 vehicles.

How many panels did you apply it to at once, and did you shake up the bottle first? One or two sprays per panel is all that is really needed, and then you need to quickly spread it with a wet microfiber towel and immediately dry with a dry microfiber towel to ensure streak-free results while working out in the sun.

If you don't mind John, please send the pictures to tips@adamspolishes.com for the whole team to see - Mondays are incredibly busy since it is the start of the work week, so Adam may not have time to jump onto the forum today. I can certainly send a return shipping label to have that bottle of H2O Guard sent back to us for analysis purposes if you would like.

In regards to the Detail Spray that you mentioned on the phone call that you used during this process and is from around 2007, it's possible that it could have broken down chemically, as the recommended shelf life is 2-3 years, if stored in a temperature controlled environment. I would have to speak with our chemists to see if ~9 year old Detail Spray could cause any issues. It's possibly the discoloration in the pictures is dried up H2O Guard residue on top of the clear coat surface and it may come off with a Clay Bar, Revive Hand Polish, or machine polishing, but we would need to see a few more pictures from different angles to be sure. Also, I can send out a bottle or gallon of Detail Spray to replace your outdated product.

Lastly, for everyone, the purpose of this forum is to help one another, whether you have 10 posts or 10,000. This is the first and only warning for the thread. Negative comments and criticisms do not contribute to solving the issue at hand.

Sorry, but if you're spraying DS or G&G, and IF the product is defective, you would have had a much larger area effected.  The whole area that was sprayed.  Not just two "spots".  Makes no sense.  JMO.

Sorry you are experiencing problems with your clear, but I have to agree with the others in saying that there is nothing in those products that could cause your damage. We all would definitely like to help you get this figured out though.

Sorry you are experiencing problems with your clear, but I have to agree with the others in saying that there is nothing in those products that could cause your damage. We all would definitely like to help you get this figured out though.

I would totally agree minus the fact that it was only after G&G that the incident happened. The thing is there were different variables that could have caused it ie. high heat temps/detail spray/random chemical-calcium coming out of hose/windshield washing fluid dried on the area that may have been missed during washing/clay or even the previous wax i used last time the car was washed a month ago P21S Concours.

I really don't know what it could have been but it's clear nobody here has had this type of issue before which is good except in my case. From the images I sent over yesterday this is definitely going to have to be repainted or is there some type of clear coat touchup?

I've seen all kinds of chemicals on paint, from brake fluid to household cleaners and am pretty familiar with what types of reactions they cause.  That is definitely something that dripped or splashed on the paint and sat there for sometime to cause that.  For something to create that much damage on cured paint, it would have to be a very serious substance.

First, based on those pics, I'm afraid you're looking at repainting the damaged panels.  Second, I would echo what others have already stated that G&G or Detail Spray wouldn't cause something like that and if it did, again, as other have suggested, the damage would be more widespread.  

It's pretty hot here in Northern Virginia today.  I think I'll go out and drip some G&G on the hood of my black Audi.  Yes, I'm silly enough to do this......

I hope you find out what caused it and in the meantime, I'm sure the folks at HQ are just as curious as I am to help you figure it out.  

I've seen all kinds of chemicals on paint, from brake fluid to household cleaners and am pretty familiar with what types of reactions they cause.  That is definitely something that dripped or splashed on the paint and sat there for sometime to cause that.  For something to create that much damage on cured paint, it would have to be a very serious substance.

First, based on those pics, I'm afraid you're looking at repainting the damaged panels.  Second, I would echo what others have already stated that G&G or Detail Spray wouldn't cause something like that and if it did, again, as other have suggested, the damage would be more widespread.  

It's pretty hot here in Northern Virginia today.  I think I'll go out and drip some G&G on the hood of my black Audi.  Yes, I'm silly enough to do this......

I hope you find out what caused it and in the meantime, I'm sure the folks at HQ are just as curious as I am to help you figure it out.  

Thanks for the insight. 

The last time I washed the vehicle I gave it a full detail. Wash/Clay/Polish/Wax. There has not been any work done to the car since April of the year which was just an oil change. Unless it was bird droppings that were on the car and washed off during a rainstorm???? I am out of ideas of what it could be.

We moved and I used this car to move files and other trinkets but no chemicals. But am I right in thinking if there was any of that it would have been washed off when I washed the car then clayed it?

I know for a fact nothing happened to the paint though until it was hit in those spots with the G&G. It makes perfect sense that if it was primarily G&G everywhere I sprayed would have the issue. However there was some type of reaction with something once the G&G was sprayed and a host of other variables which is what I wish I could figure out. Because my Audi in my garage wants nothing to do with that type of reaction.

I attempted to polish the fender but had no success other than turning it back to black for the most part. See attached images.

post-14610-0-80741800-1467221640_thumb.jpg

post-14610-0-01524800-1467221686_thumb.jpg

post-14610-0-11274700-1467221706_thumb.jpg

post-14610-0-51440800-1467221721_thumb.jpg

post-14610-0-65827600-1467221737_thumb.jpg

Like removes like.  Have you tried using a little G&G on your finger to rub it in to see if it removes the residue.  It just looks heavily caked on in some areas.  You will more than likely need to compound the area.  

Edited by The Guz