Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need a better understanding

tonymix17

Question

So a bunch of members suggested using alcohol on the entire car prior to using paint the sealant. Now my question is after washing, cleaning and polishing the car I need to wipe the entire car with alcohol on a rag soaked in it and then use a microfiber towel to wipe it all off or let the alcohol residue sit on the car and then apply the paint sealant? The car I will be applying the paint sealent to is a daily driver kept outside year-round. Another question is how can you tell when the age to all garden Clawson paint ceiling has wore off? The car is less shiny and does not bead or let water run down it?

15 answers to this question

I routinely use isopropyl alcohol (about 50 percent with distilled water) after polishing. It doesn't take a soaked towel - just a couple of sprays per panel and a wipe.

You don't have to worry about residue from the ipa. It will evaporate very quickly.

I like to clear the polish just to make sure I'm happy with the results before moving on to sealant.

I routinely use isopropyl alcohol (about 50 percent with distilled water) after polishing. It doesn't take a soaked towel - just a couple of sprays per panel and a wipe.

You don't have to worry about residue from the ipa. It will evaporate very quickly.

I like to clear the polish just to make sure I'm happy with the results before moving on to sealant.

This is what I do as well!

cleaning and polishing the car I need to wipe the entire car with alcohol on a rag soaked in it and then use a microfiber towel to wipe it all off or let the alcohol residue sit on the car and then apply the paint sealant?

Based on this question I would advise to let the alcohol stay in the liquor and medicine cabinet LOL

With the liquid paint sealant you put on a layer thinner than you can imagine, one or two panels at a time (probably just one if by hand as that takes longer) and wipe it off. There is really no buffing involved, it comes off really easily.

Gotta jump in the way back machine for this one...(yup made that reference) 

I will tend to do my entire truck before removing just to make sure I hit everything. 

If you can see residue on the panel, you used too much, even on my white truck I look for just the faintest hint of color change and im probably still over using the product. 

Gotta jump in the way back machine for this one...(yup made that reference)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GkC9kPyrKQ

I will tend to do my entire truck before removing just to make sure I hit everything.

If you can see residue on the panel, you used too much, even on my white truck I look for just the faintest hint of color change and im probably still over using the product.

Yeah i watched that video already he barely does it by hand but thanks for the tip

On your initial wash you can add a couple ounces of APC that will strip your paint, then you will be good to go.

IMHO you won't have to do a aclohol wipe down before applying PS.

What about the polish? Doesnt it go wash, clay, polish, seal?

+1

I use a towel and while it's not "soaked," I like to dab the 50/50 IPA and then wipe so that I'm not overspraying onto rubber or trim.

It's probably not necessary, but it's easy, fast and I think it's worthwhile even if it promotes a better "seal" by just a small margin. Also gives you a chance to review your polish job.