Customer Service 866.965.0400

Windshield Cleaning Question

SS LeadFoot

Question

So a friend of my mom's has asked if I can get whatever this is off her windshield. I have not seen it in person only these pictures. She said it has been there since early 2017. My guess is that it is bird poop. Any recommendations on how to remove it?

IMG_0606.thumb.jpg.181a24cad0241f7fe4a1d1cd5d97878f.jpgIMG_0607.thumb.jpg.171195910b4a162bb565b454d1f40a62.jpgIMG_0608.thumb.jpg.b6025da8291b81b68c352d84b3b5c1da.jpgIMG_0609.thumb.jpg.93d342b0142fd386019c5273d1d5ad98.jpg

13 answers to this question

Given it has been there that long it is most likely a caustic product, it could even be concrete that leeched from a overpass.  The first thing to do is determine whether or not you can feel it when you run your finger across it.   If there is an obvious bump, you can try lots of lube and a plastic razor blade, if there is no bump then start with regular glass cleaner, then APC if that doesn't work. 

If APC doesn't take care of it, then go with #0000 steel wool with plenty of lube again and then as a final cleaner use a clay bar.  From there it should be spotless and you can clean it with regular glass cleaner.   If none of those techniques work, the windshield is etched and will need to go to a glass shop to be repaired or replaced.

13 hours ago, RayS said:

Given it has been there that long it is most likely a caustic product, it could even be concrete that leeched from a overpass.  The first thing to do is determine whether or not you can feel it when you run your finger across it.   If there is an obvious bump, you can try lots of lube and a plastic razor blade, if there is no bump then start with regular glass cleaner, then APC if that doesn't work. 

If APC doesn't take care of it, then go with #0000 steel wool with plenty of lube again and then as a final cleaner use a clay bar.  From there it should be spotless and you can clean it with regular glass cleaner.   If none of those techniques work, the windshield is etched and will need to go to a glass shop to be repaired or replaced.

Ray, do you use the same lube for Steel wool/ plastic razor blade as you do for claying? 

9 hours ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Ray, do you use the same lube for Steel wool/ plastic razor blade as you do for claying? 

The majority of the time I do and I use Detail Spray.  However, if I am washing the vehicle and find something like pine pitch, I'll use Car Shampoo as the lube so I don't mix chemicals.

**UPDATE** Nothing worked. I tried everything. Packed my Adam's trunk organizer full of glass cleaner, APC, 0000, plastic razor blade, clay bar, and even a glass polish. I first washed the glass and I couldn't feel a bump but tired the razor blade first. Then I tried the APC. I let it sit for a few minutes and was taking it off and I couldn't see the marks anymore. I got really excited. I then cleaned it again with glass cleaner and there they were hiding behind the dampness. I then tried the clay bar and that did nothing. As a last resort I pulled out the 0000. You could feel it in some areas not rubbing as smooth over the glass/lines but it did very little to nothing. the glass has to be etched.

On a side note, I learned that the lady had already taken it to a professional and they couldn't remove it either.

Have you tried paint thinner or nail polish remover?   And are you absolutely sure it's on the OUTSIDE and not something that ran down the inside from a bad fitting rubber molding?

One other thing I’ve had good luck with when needed, is spreading out the steel wool across a mild (white) foam pad and go at it with my polisher.  Just as safe to the glass as any other method, but puts some muscle behind the wool to cut through the bad spots. 

I tried nail polish remover, it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion galaxy but I threw in the towel. She is just going to replace the windshield. I think RayS was right about what it was. It has just been on the glass for way too long.