Customer Service 866.965.0400

How long does it take you to detail a car

Eswear

Question

I'm curious to see how long it's taking you guys to fully detail a car. It's taking me like 6 hours from start to finish. I'm just wondering where I can become more efficient. Thanks!

12 answers to this question

Hi Ulysses, great question! There are a lot of variables here, especially when you consider what a full detail consists of for you.

For me, this would usually be my tasks and time estimates for a full detail:

1. Clean Wheels, Tires, Fender Wells, and Exhaust Tips = 30-60 minutes (depending on how bad they are)

2. Clean Engine Bay = 15 minutes
3. Wash and Dry Vehicle = 1 hour
4. Tape off exterior trim pieces = 15 minutes
5. Clay exterior paint and glass = 30 minutes
6. Compound painted areas = 2-3 hours
7. Polish painted areas = 1-2 hours
8. Surface Prep painted areas = 15 minutes
9. Ceramic Coating Application (Paint) = 2-3 hours
10. Ceramic Coating Application (Wheels) = 2-3 hours (factoring in time to remove and re-install each wheel)
11. Protect Exterior Plastics = 15-60 minutes (depending on VRT or Ceramic Coating)

12. Vacuum Floor and Trunk = 30 minutes
13. Clean and Protect Glass Inside and Outside = 30 minutes
14. Interior Clean and Condition = 1-3 hours (depending on current condition of the interior)

15. Clean any compounding and polishing dust out of engine bay, door, and trunk seams = 15 minutes

That adds up to just over 12 hours on the low end and almost 20 hours on the high end. You can also add an extra hour each for Compounding, Polishing, and Ceramic Coating a large truck or SUV. You might be able to do things more quickly than this, but this is typically the time I take, not counting 15 minute breaks here and there to rest my shoulders, forearms, neck, and back, and give the machine polishers a minute or two of cool-down time in between each panel. So it's usually a 2-3 day process for me at minimum 👍

If we're talking an Express Detail where you would do wheels, tires, fender wells, wash the exterior, clean the interior, and a quick application of something like Spray Wax or CS3, I can get that down to about 4 hours start to finish if there are no distractions during that process. However, I will have everything that I will need prepped on a detail cart or next to the cart - two buckets prepped and ready, hose, extension cord, all of my brushes, chemicals, applicators, vacuum, drying towels, etc before the vehicle arrives.

40 minutes ago, Dan@Adams said:

If we're talking an Express Detail where you would do wheels, tires, fender wells, wash the exterior, clean the interior, and a quick application of something like Spray Wax or CS3, I can get that down to about 4 hours start to finish if there are no distractions during that process. However, I will have everything that I will need prepped on a detail cart or next to the cart - two buckets prepped and ready, hose, extension cord, all of my brushes, chemicals, applicators, vacuum, drying towels, etc before the vehicle arrives.

Yeah an express detail is more of what I was talking about, it seems like I’m pushing 5 hours easy and that’s without shampooing the carpets or seats. Granted I do this as my side hustle/hobbie I wanted to know if I was really falling behind or what the general expectations were on how long it would take. 

Ah, I wouldn't say you're falling behind at all - detailing is a lot of physical labor. I used to be in the 6 hour range but keeping things organized and ready, and working around the car in an efficient manner can easily save 15-30 minutes of time - having things close by so you aren't back-tracking as much or walking to grab a towel, or to get the Sidekick and extension cord out of a cabinet and plugging it in, etc - the less I have to move around back and forth, the more time I save.

In my 4 hour time frame, I'm not doing any shampooing of carpet or seats either, just a vacuum of the floor and then cleaning and conditioning leather seats.  

- 30 minutes Wheels/Tires/Fender Wells cleaned

- 15 minutes Engine Bay cleaned, dried, and dressed
- 60 minutes Wash and Dry body
- 30 minutes Spray Wax, H2O Guard, Slick & Slide, or CS3 on Paint; VRT on Trim and Tires
- 15 minutes Glass, Mirrors (Side, Rear View, and Vanity), and Door Jambs cleaned
- 30 minutes Vacuum Floor and Trunk
- 15 minutes Interior Detailer on Dash, Door Panels, and Center Console, Air Vents and Window Switches cleaned
- 30 minutes Leather & Interior Cleaner and then Leather Conditioner on Seats and Arm Rests

That leaves me with 15 minutes of wiggle room for any task that might take a little longer, i.e. if there are a lot of bugs or tar that need to be removed when washing.

I can cut another hour out of that 4 hour estimate down to 3 hours if I'm REALLY hustling, but that came from 4 years of doing Express Details at Barrett-Jackson where time is very critical, and learning some very efficient techniques from our other show team members!

1 hour ago, Dan@Adams said:

Ah, I wouldn't say you're falling behind at all - detailing is a lot of physical labor. I used to be in the 6 hour range but keeping things organized and ready, and working around the car in an efficient manner can easily save 15-30 minutes of time - having things close by so you aren't back-tracking as much or walking to grab a towel, or to get the Sidekick and extension cord out of a cabinet and plugging it in, etc - the less I have to move around back and forth, the more time I save.

In my 4 hour time frame, I'm not doing any shampooing of carpet or seats either, just a vacuum of the floor and then cleaning and conditioning leather seats.  

- 30 minutes Wheels/Tires/Fender Wells cleaned

- 15 minutes Engine Bay cleaned, dried, and dressed
- 60 minutes Wash and Dry body
- 30 minutes Spray Wax, H2O Guard, Slick & Slide, or CS3 on Paint; VRT on Trim and Tires
- 15 minutes Glass, Mirrors (Side, Rear View, and Vanity), and Door Jambs cleaned
- 30 minutes Vacuum Floor and Trunk
- 15 minutes Interior Detailer on Dash, Door Panels, and Center Console, Air Vents and Window Switches cleaned
- 30 minutes Leather & Interior Cleaner and then Leather Conditioner on Seats and Arm Rests

That leaves me with 15 minutes of wiggle room for any task that might take a little longer, i.e. if there are a lot of bugs or tar that need to be removed when washing.

I can cut another hour out of that 4 hour estimate down to 3 hours if I'm REALLY hustling, but that came from 4 years of doing Express Details at Barrett-Jackson where time is very critical, and learning some very efficient techniques from our other show team members!

I can definitely have my stuff more organized and set out to grab easier. Thanks for your input Dan. Totally random question, what would you recommend for a ton of water spots on the glass? I was able to get it off the paint with a diluted acidic wheel cleaner but it didn’t work as well on the glass. 

4 hours ago, Eswear said:

Yeah an express detail is more of what I was talking about, it seems like I’m pushing 5 hours easy and that’s without shampooing the carpets or seats. Granted I do this as my side hustle/hobbie I wanted to know if I was really falling behind or what the general expectations were on how long it would take. 

Something that can help with the carpet and mats - use a carpet brush to loosen the sand.  I use a non-Adams short bristle tire brush to agitate the mat/carpet to loosen the sand as much as possible before/during vacumming.  I have even started using a hook-and-loop carpet brush on my Porter Cable to help deep clean the mats.

3 hours ago, Eswear said:

I can definitely have my stuff more organized and set out to grab easier. Thanks for your input Dan. Totally random question, what would you recommend for a ton of water spots on the glass? I was able to get it off the paint with a diluted acidic wheel cleaner but it didn’t work as well on the glass. 

For water spots on glass I use our green Glass Cleaner with Ultra Fine #0000 Steel Wool. It must be 4 zero steel wool, other grades will scratch. Do not use the steel wool on any paint, chrome, trim, etc - glass only.

2 minutes ago, mc2hill said:

Something that can help with the carpet and mats - use a carpet brush to loosen the sand.  I use a non-Adams short bristle tire brush to agitate the mat/carpet to loosen the sand as much as possible before/during vacumming.  I have even started using a hook-and-loop carpet brush on my Porter Cable to help deep clean the mats.

Yep I've been using the Carpet Drill Brush that we offer with Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner. Then I'll use an Edgeless Utility Towel to soak up any excess moisture and then vacuum - makes even the worst floor mats and carpet look almost brand new!

Age can make a different on the speed to detail a vehicle, I know when I get a vehicle that is almost as old as I am, it seems to take much longer.  I'll also admit that I am not an expert at the interiors, so I try to avoid them as much as possible.  One piece of gum or melted hard candy can ruin what would have been a productive and profitable day.  If the vehicle is adult own and looks clean, then doing the leather conditioner and such is well within scope.

Having your detail cart or carts well organized can make a real difference in the speed to do a vehicle.  I start at the bottom of the cart and work my way up.  I can't spend the hours squatted down, so I have comfy rolling seat and I go around the vehicle with the tires, wheels, exhaust tips, etc., and everything is on the bottoms shelf of the detail cart.  Next up are the bumpers, door jams, rocker panels, grill and lower hatch area on SUV's, this allows time for things like the bug and tar remover to work if needed.   I'd much rather get that gunk off the vehicle before I soap it up and waste a wash mitt or two on a chunk of tar.  Keep a few plastic razor blades handy on your detail cart as they work wonders for removing tree sap, tar and other nasty sticky things just lube them up with soap or detail spray first.   Then it's on to the wash and preparing for the polishing as needed and at this point I'm between 2 and 3 hours into the effort.

For a complete vehicle, I have been as little as 3 hours for one that started out almost pristine to as much as 40 hours for some that had never had any love, including one that had been parked under a pine tree and not moved for 5 years.   My average is around 6 hours for doing a sealant and wax to 8 hours for doing a coating, but it is not usual for some many to take 12 to 16 hours over a 2 day period.   I really like to have vehicles dropped off late Friday afternoon and then picked up on Sunday.  I have found that gives me plenty of time without killing myself and I don't have to worry about weather interring.

22 hours ago, Dan@Adams said:

Yep I've been using the Carpet Drill Brush that we offer with Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner. Then I'll use an Edgeless Utility Towel to soak up any excess moisture and then vacuum - makes even the worst floor mats and carpet look almost brand new!

I used one on my truck mats recently, and was amazed at how much better they looked with a quick going over.  I have drill brushes and the hook & loop model that I use on my Porter Cable, but the PC version is much easier to use for a extended period.