Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best way to clean off exhaust soot?

Diesel350

Question

So I tried cleaning the inside of my exhaust tip starting off by using 0000 grit sand paper and some elbow grease and didn't even make a dent. This soot has never been cleaned since I got the car 5 yrs ago. Is it possible to get it off with any product?

8cd8519c.jpg

Edited by Diesel350

Power stick might do it with either APC or gwc. I got 7 years of brake dust off my moms truck rims with the powerstick.

:iagree: Just be sure you are willing to ruin the powerstick! Never knew what it will get caught on in there. Not saying it will ruin it but thats not really what its meant for that it may get caught up on the edges and screws.

I personally leave the inside of mine black, but steel wool and Adams metal polish should eat at it. It's going to take time.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

try this:

1) let some APC soak on it for 5 minutes

2) scrub it with a disposable scotch brite pad/sponge

3) rinse

4) use some 0000 steel wool in a circular motion around the tip

5) rinse again and towel dry it with either a MF or paper towel

6) metal polish on an applicator pad

7) buff off with a MF towel

this is what i do to the outside of my chrome tips minus the scotch brite pad and steel wool part; i use the fender well or wheel brush instead

i kinda prefer the inside of my tips to be black

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

5 years of baked on diesel exhaust soot won't come off without some determination, between the crazy heat diesels put out and how crappy fresh soot is to begin with I would try something along the lines of an SOS pad (the soap helps) and spray down the inside with some harsh cleaners (like CLR) and let that soak in there before rinsing off and trying the SOS pad. I've been over this before and its simply ridiculous how hard it is to get off. Wear gloves and watch out for the backsplash.

ive had some tar on mine, i tried a razor blade because all the cleaners/compounds and even gas i had wouldnt take it off. dont do a razor it scratched mine but it was a last resort. curious to try out some of these ways.

ive had some tar on mine, i tried a razor blade because all the cleaners/compounds and even gas i had wouldnt take it off. dont do a razor it scratched mine but it was a last resort. curious to try out some of these ways.

I think he's cleaning the inside of the exhaust system, unless I was mistaken when I read it? Try plastic razor blades, they are a godsend.

I am wondering if it won't be worth the time and moneyto just to take it to a local exhaust shop and have the tips replaced. But that is the lazy side of me. The determined side agrees with all of the above posts.

i wish i had dual walled tips though, but i am going to have to try the most radical stuff on my tips and exhaust pipes, pipes are all corroded(even if they are SS), and the tips are just way too gone from this crappy salt/sand/snow.

Guys, no need for steel wool, soap and water, Mr.Clean, chrome polish, Brillo Pad (really ?). The easiest thing that works for me is next time you clean your wheel, spray a little of that wheeler cleaner on the exhaust tip and the outside too if it's chrome. It comes right off. I just wipe it off with a paper towel. 

I found easy and effective way to get rid of the black tar deposit on chrome tip of my exhaust pipe. No caustic chemicals, brillo pad, steel wool. Next time you spray clean your mag wheel with wheel cleaner

spray a little of it on the tip and outside too. Then wipe it off with a paper towel - that easy!  It takes it right off and shines the chrome too. I use {competing product removed} but you can try your favorite too.

Edited by TheWolf
Competing product