Customer Service 866.965.0400

The new rig...

Team Adam's

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6d93a133.png

Yep... the Avalanche is gone and in its place a 2012 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab 4x4. For now I'm free of the curse of black paint LOL... Silver Ice Metallic this time around.

Gonna go a slightly different direction on this one. I'll definitely miss the Avy, I had started to get that itch to do something to it again, and rather than start cutting it up for air ride or dumping money into something else for it I figured it was time to let it go.

No real plans as of yet for the new rig aside from getting the bedliner sprayed in and tinting the windows. I'm kicking some other ideas around, but first things first this rain has got to stop so I can debadge it and detail. Its ROUGH! I can tell my clay is gonna get a workout on this one for sure.

Heres the only pic I was able to get so far...

125d1587.jpg

Dylan: Hey Bro I owe you a BIG/HUGE apology for jumping in on your post with the pic's of my new RAM truck. I shouldn't have done that and by no means was I attempting to put down Chevy trucks. I got three of the pictures deleted but can't get this last one taken off. If you can, would you delete it for me? It's not showing up where I can delete it.

Well I see my puter finally decided to do what I asked it to do - deleting the last pic. of my RAM truck. Again, sorry!! :bow:

Again, I do sincerely apologize for doing what I did. Won't ever happen again. :o

You got yourself on good truck there. And take it from one who had a black one, I knew what you were going through. There's a lot of different mods that just make a Chevy truck really stand out.

Edited by Corners

Nice new truck Dylan!

I had a silver Impala a few years ago and I found it maddening. Quick wash or three hour detail (wash, clay, wax) I didn't have a pc back then, it would look the same. There is nothing like a dark color to show off the hard work of proper cleaning.

Thanks for all the compliments and input guys... probably going to stick pretty mild on this one, though I always say that. I remember saying the Av was going to stay stock when I bought it... we know how that turned out LOL. Likely there won't be much in the way of performance mods, just the usual cat back, CAI, maybe LT's, and a tune... nothing more.

On the appearance side, I have to admit, these are my least favorite wheel GM has on these trucks right now so they'll go as soon as I make a decision on what wheels I want. Thinking this will probably just get a 2-3" leveling kit up front and a nice 33" tire on 20" wheels... I also hate that the Z71 package color matches the whole front end, but leaves the rear bumper chrome? What the Fudgsickle? So I plan on having the rear bumper eventually shot in Silver Ice Metallic to match. Beyond that I don't plan on doing much else. I need a project truck and a late 60's C10 is still my ultimate dream build so I can stop dumping money into daily drivers.

So on to day 1 of ownership was just a cleanup day.

The wifes friend/coworker was having a birthday party in the evening so my time to clean up the new ride was limited. I'll be doing the full 'new truck prep' this coming week, but since we were gonna drive the new rig to the party I figured it should at least look right.

Monday/Tuesday will be a full debadge (Until GM starts paying for the ad space I refuse to be a rolling billboard :jester: ) also need to remove the mudflaps and install the fender liners (which I hope will be here by tuesday). Heres what it got so far:

• 2 bucket strip wash (mostly to remove the slime applied to the trim and get a good look at the paint)
  • Dry and inspect. Can already tell spotting swirls in silver is a challenge, but there are some.
  • Didn't have time for claying so just threw down a coat of BG w/ the Flex on a Gen4 red pad, followed up with Buttery on a Gen4 gray pad. Figured I wouldn't waste Americana since I'm going to strip and really detail it this coming week.
  • Tire were cleaned with the usual suspects, took 3 full strength cleanings with APC to get all the silicone laden junk off the tires. 3 heavy coats of Super VRT to even them back out again.
  • Green Wheel Cleaner on the wheels, which were pretty much spotless, dried, wiped down with DS, then applied Quick Sealant.
  • Engine bay got a WW wipe down, dressed with SVRT + In & Out.
  • All exterior trim got a SVRT treatment
  • Interior was spotless, just some light dust and finger prints here and there so gave it a quick vacuum and wiped down all the interior panels with a prototype interior product we're working on.

I'm really loving this silver... I can tell its going to be a fun one to play with. The flake really popped when the sun would peek out from behind the clouds and the BG put a nice look on it.

f62050a2.jpg

Edited by Dylan@Adams

Man. I always cry a bit on the inside when I see another man let a sexily modded ride go..........bummer.......

But a clean slate is always fun!!! Congrats duuuuuuuuuuuuude. :)

Yea... I always seem to catch a lot of flack on various forums when I unload a vehicle. When I sold my Silverado SS to get the TBSS I was practically run off a few of the truck sites I was on.

Then once I modded the TBSS everyone was in love with it... when I sold that to get the Avalanche I got even more grief. No one could believe I'd sell the TBSS to get what a lot of guys called "the ugliest truck ever"

Modded the Av out and the standard comment was "I never liked the Avalanche until I saw what you did to yours".

So patterns being what they are I'm getting a fair amount of "NOOOOOOOO!" from the peanut galleries... I'm sure everyone will come around once I get the Z71 how I want it.

The Avy was definitely a unique truck... I'll miss it a lot, but like you said "blank slate". I enjoy the process of tweaking these vehicles to my liking more than I them being 'done'... the Av ended up being the longest tenured vehicle I've ever owned... made it 3 years and 1 month! :lolsmack:

From this...

DSC00559.jpg

to this...

DSC01162.jpg

I sold to get this...

a2415027.jpg

which eventually became this...

DSC_5403.jpg

that was sold to get this (which was side swiped just 8 hours after buying it)

IMG00009-20091212-0911.jpg

which was fixed and colormatched...

_DSC0185.jpg

and eventually became this...

c76d8dc0.jpg

and sold to bring us to the Z71... somewhere in all that was a wedding, 2 home purchases, the birth of a child, and 3 career changes. :D

Edited by Dylan@Adams

Nice looking truck. I bought a 2012 Sierra SLE All-Terrain Z71 crew cab back February. I really wanted the truck in the same color you got, but since I was dead set on getting the 6.2L engine, I had to settle for BLACK, as there were no trucks optioned like I wanted in the color I wanted. I was going to order to get what I wanted, but didn't want to wait for up to 2 months or maybe longer.

Got 2 black vehicles now......:willy:

Love the truck though. Ride is so much better than my 2003 Silverado Z71 that I traded in. The brakes on the new truck are SOOOOO much better. Having the crew cab is so much nicer than the extended cab, even with a slightly shorter bed length.

I need to get a set of wheel well liners ordered up.

Only other mods are the Advent stereo with backup camera, money well spent, and I bought a set of WeatherTech floor matts, which are a must for the Seattle area, vs. the carpet floor matts it came with.

Enjoy the new truck!

me = jealous

I went in with a number in mind and couldn't squeeze the 6.2 in there... I wanted it, but I'd have ended up sleeping in it if I came home with it b/c the wife would have been not pleased. It was a tough call too, because there was a pearl white CC LTZ 4x4 w/ the 6.2 sitting in the showroom looking at me. Gorgeous truck and that extra HP is addicting.

I agree on all points... the 2012 is even a step nicer than my 09 Av was as far as fit and finish and the 09 wasn't bad at all. To be expected I guess as we approach the end of the bodystyle run they've worked out the bugs and made all the improvements along the way.

The 6 speed tranny is awesome. Much improved over the 4 speed for sure.

Pretty much mine is a box stock LT trim truck with the Z71 appearance and suspension package added (skid plate, shocks, AT tires, etc), the convenience package (rear park assist, dual zone hvac, usb, bluetooth, rear view camera, home link, etc)

It also came with the upgraded trailering package which gave me the larger alternator, HD locking diff, different gearing, hd cooling, and trailer brake controls... didn't need it, but it was on the truck already. They knocked the price down enough for me that it didn't matter. Guess if I ever need to tow it'll come in handy.

Edited by Dylan@Adams

i think you made an excellent decision ;)

i love the front end on the 2012 Z71 and LTZ trucks! i think everything you mentioned like color matching the bumper, levelling it and putting 33" tires on some 20s will look great! the CAI, Corsa exhaust, and tune made a huge difference on my truck! i'm done modding mine for now. i should've waited and bought a Sierra Denali which i really wanted. but now that the new models are debuting in the next year or two, i'm going to be paitent this time and wait to see what they look like.

one of the first things i did was add the rear wheel well liners, just $100 and install within half an hour, but really tie in the look of the truck!

are you thinking about getting a nav unit? i got the Advent OGM1 and love it! the iGo mapping software is awesome! check out the gm-trucks forum for more info on it! its about $1000 from ADC Mobile.