Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Guy Question re: Porter Cable Usage

jeffrec

Question

New guy to this forum and I have a question that I hope you won't mind answering.

I bought several Adam's detailing products including their paint finishing polish from a car detailer. This is the most abrasive polish I have in my arsenal. I have been using nothing by Zymol (hand applied) on my silver 2009 911 Carrera S since I bought it in 2012 and have noticed lately that I have very light swirl marks and scratches on the hood of my car. I only see this under fluorescent lights when in the parking garage at work.

I recently used my Porter Cable and the Adams product on a neighbors truck that was badly scratched and it took the swirl marks right out of the paint.

My question is this, I assume that this product is also safe to use on my 911, even though I have been hand waxing with Zymol on a quarterly basis. I don't want to risk any clear coat damage by waxing too frequently, although I don't think Zymol really digs into the paint whatsoever. It appears to me to be far more topical in nature.

Also, I trust that I need to apply some type of sealant wax after the paint finishing polish? Should I use my Adams Buttery Wax for that?

Thank you in advance.

12 answers to this question

The Paint Finishing Polish isn't very aggressive and will be fine on your Porsche. If you see the PFP didn't remove the swirls or scratches you've noticed you may need to try the PCP which is more aggressive. The pad choices can make a difference with the microfiber ones having a bit more cut than the foam ones.

Waxing your vehicle lays a layer of protection over the paint, unless it's a cleaner type wax.

After you polish you have no protection on your paint what so ever, and yes a wax or sealant should be applied. Adam's Buttery Wax would be fine, or step it up to Adam's Americana Premium Paste Wax.

The only way you are gonna damage your paint with the PC is if you flip it over and beat your car with it. You can crank the speed to the max setting, put all your weight on the PC and keep it at one spot and it wont do anything. I recommend the PC for anyone who has the "buffing fear" from hearing buffing horror stories on the internet.

As BZRN said, the wax is something you apply ON the paint, you are not working the wax INTO the paint as you would do with a polish/swirl remover.

The normal order of doing things is: 1) Fix the paint with paint correct. 2) Polish with fine machine polish to make the paint pop. 3) Protect all your work with a wax/sealant

You are right in line with what you need to do. Everyone has provided you with excellent information.

The only thing I would add is this: you might not see the results you want after just one pass of PFP. Don't panic and think you have to go out and purchase a heavier cut product, simply do another pass or 2 to see if that does the trick. At this point, if you aren't making headway, is when I would say you should consider stepping up to a better cutting product.

Edited by egott_91

Thanks again, one last question, as I said I have never used the PC on the Porsche, only hand waxed. I trust that I don't need to worry about buffing too deep into the clearcoat or clearcoat damage considering I hand waxed every couple of months?  In otherwords I would imagine that I have plenty of clearcoat on the car given that I have never used a polishing tool on it.

Short answer, No worry at all.  Your machine will not rotate when you use too much pressure, or no pressure at all.

In order to take enough clearcoat off that you burn through the paint, using a PC7424XP, you'd have to be applying enough pressure to creat enough heat to burn through the paint and cut through.  The PC if applied enough pressure will stop rotating, you'd literally have to be on speed 6 with enough pressure to have the pad rotating and be basically sitting on a panel that is being heated by a heat gun and do this for about 20 minutes straight to burn through with a PC.

The best thing to remember when you're using the Adam's is to not put TOO much on the pad.  Watch the videos and follow what Adam tells you in the amount to apply.  Anybody who has had any problems with these type of products from Adam's have been found to be using too much.  Less is more.

Thank you again to all who responded to my questions this week. I spent Saturday afternoon washing my car, using Adams paint finishing polish and finishing with Adams Buttery wax. Let me tell you, my Arctic Silver 911 looks better than it ever did using Zymol by hand. The combination of the PC and the Adams products really makes the paint pop.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's guidance with this process. This was about as simple as it gets once I got the hang of it and knew that the PC could in no way damage my clear coat or paint. Adams products are simply the finest I have used to date!!! Two thumbs up for Adams!!!   

Thanks again, one last question, as I said I have never used the PC on the Porsche, only hand waxed. I trust that I don't need to worry about buffing too deep into the clearcoat or clearcoat damage considering I hand waxed every couple of months? In otherwords I would imagine that I have plenty of clearcoat on the car given that I have never used a polishing tool on it.

Jeff, my Lexus has probably the softest paint (read easy to scratch and leave swirl marks) on any vehicle and I've used the Finishing Polish with a DA machine without any fear with great results. Try the Liquid Paint Sealant>Brilliant Glaze>Americana wax combination.

post-12119-0-18329400-1410736707_thumb.jpg

Edited by gapwedge