Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best Polisher in $100-150 range?

PT3

Question

I've never done any paint correction. I'm not sure how often I'll do it. So, for my intro I don't want to drop a lot of cash on a unit. If I get into it, etc... Then I'll step up and get a better unit.

So....the question... What's the best machine polisher between $100 and $150...?

Psssssst...hey Phil, if you bought a raffle ticket and won tonight, you could use the $250 Gift Card and $50 cash to buy a Cyclo...

After all, machine polishers are not just for paint correcting, I use the Cyclo for every step: sealant, glaze, wax.  It is much less work than applying by hand.

Raffle ticket?

Raffle ticket?

Dan was referring to this.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27455-raffle-fundraiser-for-250-adams-gift-card/

Take advantage of the BF14 discount and buy one of the two polishers Adams offers.  You won't regret it.  I have both and like both.  You buy a cheap one now and another one later.  It is going to cost you more than if you would have bought one of Adams polishers to begin with.

Dan was referring to this.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27455-raffle-fundraiser-for-250-adams-gift-card/

Take advantage of the BF14 discount and buy one of the two polishers Adams offers.  You won't regret it.  I have both and like both.  You buy a cheap one now and another one later.  It is going to cost you more than if you would have bought one of Adams polishers to begin with.

I understand your thought process... And that is typically how I approach things...except when I'm not sure if or how much ill be committed to the hobby/etc... I don't mind paying more if it's something I really get into. But, if I don't get into it, then I'd rather save the cash.

Thanks Chris.

Sorry for the confusion, Phil.  The raffle had a short timeframe on it so I was trying to spread the word around the forum so members could participate if they were interested.  The winner was already selected.

No worries! Thanks for the heads up.

Phil, there are options in the upper end of that price range, and they will take you to China.  However, the Griots is probably the best option in the ultra-low-cost category.  The Meguiar's unit is not bad either, but somehow, the Griot's seems more balanced. I suggest buying it from our man Phil, who is in Norwood, NJ, a 1-day transit to you there in PA.  

Here is the link: http://www.detailersdomain.com/Griots-Garage-6-inch-Random-Orbital-Polisher-3rd-Gen_p_682.html

Try that machine with this kit, and you will get excellent results: http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/polishing/adam-s-7-pad-polish-kit.html

DISCLAIMER:  In my experience, once I buy the starter/ discount item, it seems that I am dissatisfied, then desire the premium or upgraded option.  Then comes the realization: I have not saved any $$!  Just spent more, and now, I'm looking to sell the starter item at a discount, barely used, after acquiring the nice one.

In my experience, anything worth doing, is worth doing right from the get-go.  While you may find the Griot's machine completely acceptable, you may also fall quickly out of love, and call a detailer to come dial your Bavarian.   Had you picked up a nice tool, your initial experience would have been more positive, and your decision different. (Maybe a nice German Flex unit, from the same zone as your vehicle?? Maybe the ultra-easy-to-use Cyclo Polisher?)

I've read your posts, love your car, and find you to be a man of reason, so I offer you my $0.02.

Phil, there are options in the upper end of that price range, and they will take you to China.  However, the Griots is probably the best option in the ultra-low-cost category.  The Meguiar's unit is not bad either, but somehow, the Griot's seems more balanced. I suggest buying it from our man Phil, who is in Norwood, NJ, a 1-day transit to you there in PA.  

Here is the link: http://www.detailersdomain.com/Griots-Garage-6-inch-Random-Orbital-Polisher-3rd-Gen_p_682.html

Try that machine with this kit, and you will get excellent results: http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/polishing/adam-s-7-pad-polish-kit.html

DISCLAIMER:  In my experience, once I buy the starter/ discount item, it seems that I am dissatisfied, then desire the premium or upgraded option.  Then comes the realization: I have not saved any $$!  Just spent more, and now, I'm looking to sell the starter item at a discount, barely used, after acquiring the nice one.

In my experience, anything worth doing, is worth doing right from the get-go.  While you may find the Griot's machine completely acceptable, you may also fall quickly out of love, and call a detailer to come dial your Bavarian.   Had you picked up a nice tool, your initial experience would have been more positive, and your decision different. (Maybe a nice German Flex unit, from the same zone as your vehicle?? Maybe the ultra-easy-to-use Cyclo Polisher?)

I've read your posts, love your car, and find you to be a man of reason, so I offer you my $0.02.

Thanks Adam. If I understand what your saying... The lower quality unit may affect my impression of the hobby...correct?

Appreciate your feedback.

This is my opinion, some may agree and some may disagree.  I used a Porter Cable 7424 the first two years I started paint correction and machine polishing, with the back-then products of Adam's Severe Swirl Remover, Swirl & Haze Remover, and Fine Machine Polish.  The products worked as advertised, but the PC literally left my fingers tingling and numb and forearms hurting from the vibrations.  If I worked for 10-20 minutes or so and took a break, it wasn't as bad, but that sucker sure does vibrate a lot...at least mine did...maybe I had a bad counterweight, but I know others have mentioned the vibrations too.  I loved seeing my vehicles perfect and making other people's vehicles look great too, but the fatigue of the machine actually made me not look forward to doing larger vehicles for people.

Then I purchased the Flex at a Grabiak Chevrolet Detail Clinic a few years back when Adam's began to offer it.  I immediately noticed how much more manageable the machine was, less vibration, and it had better correction capabilities, allowing me to work faster and easier.  My fingers were no longer tingling and my forearms didn't feel like they were playing tug-of-war with a brick wall for several hours.  Yes, the Flex can 'walk' on a panel more than say the PC, but it is still completely controllable once you practice a bit.  The pressure sensitive trigger and the way the internals gradually bring the polisher up to full speed also helps in having better control when you flip it on and prevents from slinging product where you don't want it - like your clothes, windshield, floor, etc.  I love the trigger lock too.  The Flex gave better results overall than the PC, no question.

Finally, this past summer I purchased the Cyclo after trying it out at the Carlisle Truck Nationals.  To me it's simply AWESOME.  It's perfectly balanced with the two rotating heads, so there's literally almost zero vibration.  Yes it's a little oddly shaped, but polishing with it feels natural almost instantly.  While it may not have as much correcting power as the Flex on the first pass on a panel, it still works fantastic.  I have brought 1500 and 2000 grit wet-sanded areas back to a perfect finish with the Cyclo, orange pads, and Paint Correcting Polish.  It can get into tight areas that the Flex simply cannot fit into like A/B/C pillars, and it vibrates plastic bumpers far less than the other options. It might even have a slightly less noisy operating volume (I'll have to borrow a dB meter from work to be sure).

For me, polishing on a vehicle is great therapy.  I love seeing the reactions and faces of a customer when they come to pick it up and say it looks like I repainted their car or that they haven't seen that much color in the paint since they bought it new.  A more affordable polisher can eventually give you near the same results as a more higher-end polisher, but at what cost to your body and sanity ;)

Edit: Check out the videos section up above for lots of great videos where Adam explains machine polishing in great detail.  This one here is great at explaining the differences between the different types of polishers. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM55kroCAAs&feature=player_embedded&list=UUzpvSWz3VFZpeFeitVsybWg

Edited by psu goat

Here's my $.02 when it comes to polishing BMW's: you want a powerful machine!

The 2 BMW's I've done paint correction on had an extremely hard clear coat and took a good amount if time to correct the swirls with a PC7424. The first one I used Adam's old 3 step polishing system and the second one I bought a heavy cut compound and that didn't really improve the process time.

I personally have 3 machines, even though I don't do a lot of paint correction, but each one is used for a different reason.

I started with the PC7424 and found out that it takes too long to achieve desired results, is loud, and vibrates like no other. Then I got the Rupes 21. This thing is WAY better than a PC. Large throw, powerful, quieter and well balanced. However, the large throw is also a con as it doesn't do well on smaller panels. Therefore, I ordered a Cyclo. Great all around machine. It's quieter, extremely well balanced, you're able to use it on small panels and large ones. It's not as powerful as the Rupes, but it is more powerful than the PC.

However, you might not want to take my advice as I seem to have a polisher obsession and am considering ordering a Rupes 75E mini to dedicate to small panel polishing. Lol.

The thing is: each polisher has it's pros and cons and I find that it's better to have more than 1 polisher as they are able to achieve different tasks.

I understand your thought process... And that is typically how I approach things...except when I'm not sure if or how much ill be committed to the hobby/etc... I don't mind paying more if it's something I really get into. But, if I don't get into it, then I'd rather save the cash.

It isn't necessarily a hobby for me personally.  I'am married to my job and have no hobbies.  And other things that consume my time.  Not that I don't have the desire.  I bought a shaper about 10 years ago to teach myself how to make cabinets.  Have all the tools and cutters, just no time.  Haven't used it once, but not going to get rid of it.  There will always be plenty of time eventually.

I myself enjoy having a clean car and having the tools to do it at my convenience.  I find it relaxing to clean up the car and think.  It is something that I do in the spring and fall, as far as breaking out the polisher.  And having a good quality tool makes the job that much more enjoyable and easier, as Adam mentioned.

I am a health care professional, not really a tool guy. For what it's worth, (coming from someone who has never used anything else before,) I found the Cyclo to be very effective and vey easy to use. The balanced design allows for fatigue free, easily controlled maneuvering and operation. I don't regret spending a few extra bucks for a quality tool that made the job easier for me and will last forever. I also like the fact that for a noob, I can't really hurt anything with the Cyclo. I would highly recommend it for anyone just starting out. After getting my cars done for the winter, I, like you, don't see myself using it more than a couple of times a year from here on out. But, knowing how well it works when I do need to use it made the investment worth it to me.

I've never done any paint correction. I'm not sure how often I'll do it. So, for my intro I don't want to drop a lot of cash on a unit. If I get into it, etc... Then I'll step up and get a better unit.

So....the question... What's the best machine polisher between $100 and $150...?

I did the same thing. I started with a porter cable. Wasn't long I was looking for more power and speed, so I bought a flex. Now I keep the PC setup for small pads. I really wish I would have got the Flex to begin with.

Phil, you have a new vehicle, here is my opinion, especially since you just said you are new to machine polishing, and here are some Q's:

1)  How often and on how many cars do you plan on using it per year?

--Personally I have my 2003 X5 which is well corrected by now, and my wife's 2011 Rav4, and my Triumph Thunderbird (2011), and a few cars for friends/family and the occasional side job.  I only use my machines once a year, twice at most on my vehicles, to keep rid of swirls and keep a great finish.  Once you are "caught up" with the heavy defects, honestly unless you scrape something or run it through the car wash, you should be able to maintain the finish with a finishing pad and finishing polish once or twice a year before applying your LSP, and after claying.  In my case, its about once a year, so I'm not using my machine as much as I'd like to.

2) Would you plan on adding to the stable, or are you looking for "one machine to do it all"?

--I had the original PC7424 for years, recently relegated it to 4" pad duty only, because of the limited power.  I ask though, because the Flex is a great machine, but its big, and you can only get it down to 5.5" pads with a smaller 4 3/8" backing plate.  With the Griots 3rd Gen, I have it setup for 5.5" and 6.5" pads (although I never use 6.5" pads), the 5.5" pads work and correct the best.  If looking for one machine, I'd say the Cyclo is probably the best do it all because of the maneuverability, but honestly you could always relegate the Griots machine to small pad duty and wax application, if you ever decided to "drop the coin" on the Flex.

3) Are you truly new to machine polishing?

--Anyone can learn, but honestly, the Flex and the Rupes are both precision, professional tools and I always recommend someone "learn" to polish by machine and hone their skills with a DA type machine.  It's similar to not recommending someone start riding motorcycles on a 1000cc (or even todays 600cc) sportbikes, if you are 100% proficient on a DA (and not many are), then start looking into adding to your arsenal with a professional tool.  Again, the Cyclo is great for beginners and experienced users alike, the correction power of the machine however is slightly less or on par with the GG6 with a 5.5" pad setup

4) Do you plan on applying LSP by hand or machine?

--Personally, I don't use a machine for LSP application, much more therapeutic for me to do by hand.  But the Flex is certainly a big honker of a machine if you want to use it for applying sealant, take that into consideration, and remember my point about having a DA machine with a 4" pad setup for LSP application as well (another great use)

5) Lifetime warranty on the GG6 if you want to buy one from Phil as Adam linked

--Email Phil @ DD, but yes its a lifetime warrantied tool, and Phil is the man when it comes to product support.  Only tool I know of that is lifetime warrantied at the moment.  Good to know, I've had mine a year now and my original PC7424 for almost 10 years.

I will go off on a limb and I will recommend using the GG6 with the Orange/White polishes kit from Adam (the one with Detail Spray and the conditioning brush), but I recommend the "Griots Premium kit" from Phil @ Detailers Domain, he includes a vented 5" backing plate and 10 5.5" Foam pads, which is more than you'll need in a few years.  If you need more cut than the Orange foam pads allow, then step up to the MF cutting pads. 

But honestly on a 2014 BMW finish, I can't imagine you would be needing anything more than the Orange Foam with the Orange polish, it can't have gotten that hammered yet!  Good luck with your decision, any of the tools mentioned will serve you well but I always recommend DA's for "beginners" as they are easier to learn and become more proficient in your finishing.

Phil, you have a new vehicle, here is my opinion, especially since you just said you are new to machine polishing, and here are some Q's:

1)  How often and on how many cars do you plan on using it per year?

--Personally I have my 2003 X5 which is well corrected by now, and my wife's 2011 Rav4, and my Triumph Thunderbird (2011), and a few cars for friends/family and the occasional side job.  I only use my machines once a year, twice at most on my vehicles, to keep rid of swirls and keep a great finish.  Once you are "caught up" with the heavy defects, honestly unless you scrape something or run it through the car wash, you should be able to maintain the finish with a finishing pad and finishing polish once or twice a year before applying your LSP, and after claying.  In my case, its about once a year, so I'm not using my machine as much as I'd like to.

2) Would you plan on adding to the stable, or are you looking for "one machine to do it all"?

--I had the original PC7424 for years, recently relegated it to 4" pad duty only, because of the limited power.  I ask though, because the Flex is a great machine, but its big, and you can only get it down to 5.5" pads with a smaller 4 3/8" backing plate.  With the Griots 3rd Gen, I have it setup for 5.5" and 6.5" pads (although I never use 6.5" pads), the 5.5" pads work and correct the best.  If looking for one machine, I'd say the Cyclo is probably the best do it all because of the maneuverability, but honestly you could always relegate the Griots machine to small pad duty and wax application, if you ever decided to "drop the coin" on the Flex.

3) Are you truly new to machine polishing?

--Anyone can learn, but honestly, the Flex and the Rupes are both precision, professional tools and I always recommend someone "learn" to polish by machine and hone their skills with a DA type machine.  It's similar to not recommending someone start riding motorcycles on a 1000cc (or even todays 600cc) sportbikes, if you are 100% proficient on a DA (and not many are), then start looking into adding to your arsenal with a professional tool.  Again, the Cyclo is great for beginners and experienced users alike, the correction power of the machine however is slightly less or on par with the GG6 with a 5.5" pad setup

4) Do you plan on applying LSP by hand or machine?

--Personally, I don't use a machine for LSP application, much more therapeutic for me to do by hand.  But the Flex is certainly a big honker of a machine if you want to use it for applying sealant, take that into consideration, and remember my point about having a DA machine with a 4" pad setup for LSP application as well (another great use)

5) Lifetime warranty on the GG6 if you want to buy one from Phil as Adam linked

--Email Phil @ DD, but yes its a lifetime warrantied tool, and Phil is the man when it comes to product support.  Only tool I know of that is lifetime warrantied at the moment.  Good to know, I've had mine a year now and my original PC7424 for almost 10 years.

I will go off on a limb and I will recommend using the GG6 with the Orange/White polishes kit from Adam (the one with Detail Spray and the conditioning brush), but I recommend the "Griots Premium kit" from Phil @ Detailers Domain, he includes a vented 5" backing plate and 10 5.5" Foam pads, which is more than you'll need in a few years.  If you need more cut than the Orange foam pads allow, then step up to the MF cutting pads. 

But honestly on a 2014 BMW finish, I can't imagine you would be needing anything more than the Orange Foam with the Orange polish, it can't have gotten that hammered yet!  Good luck with your decision, any of the tools mentioned will serve you well but I always recommend DA's for "beginners" as they are easier to learn and become more proficient in your finishing.

Jason- WOW.... thank you for taking the time to put some thought into my question.  It's much appreciated!  Too bad you're not local...I'd simply take the money i'd spend on machines and product and pay you to keep my baby shining.  lol

To answer your questions...

1. I'm only going to be working on my M5 and eventually a 'to-be-added' (6-18 months) toy car.  As for how often...?  I would imagine only a couple times a year, just to keep the car 'corrected' and shining.

2. Yes, would prefer to have one machine to do it all.  At least for now.

3. Yes...ABSOLUTELY a NEWBIE when it comes to polishing/waxing.  Never done either by hand or machine.  My level of detailing has always been regular thorough washing of the interior and exterior of my vehicles.  I like my cars to be clean.  But I've never gotten into paint correction or protection in ANY way before.  

4. I had PLANNED on applying the LSP by hand... but I didn't know I could apply it by machine.  So I'm open to either method now.

5. Lifetime warranty is a nice bonus for sure!  

Thanks again for your advice.   

And thanks to everyone here as well.  It's funny...this forum seems to be a bit 'nicer' to newbies...when comparing to some other forums I've been on.

Thanks again for your advice.   

And thanks to everyone here as well.  It's funny...this forum seems to be a bit 'nicer' to newbies...when comparing to some other forums I've been on.

We were all beginners once!  And Adam's color-coded polish & pad combinations make the learning process much easier.

If you get a 100-150 polisher and you polish you car once and never again you made the right choice.  If you start doing your other car etc. you will wish you had a different machine.  I would suggest the Cyclo.  It can do the large and small areas, will not make as much racket and will not fatigue your arms nearly as much.  

Most that start out with the porter cable pc move up to a Flex, Cyclo. or Rupes (or maybe all  three).  

Edited by Feets31

If you get a 100-150 polisher and you polish you car once and never again you made the right choice.  If you start doing your other car etc. you will wish you had a different machine.  I would suggest the Cyclo.  It can do the large and small areas, will not make as much racket and will not fatigue your arms nearly\y as much.  

Most that start out with the porter cable pc more up to a Flex, Cyclo. or Rupes (or maybe all  three).

Thanks Jim!