Customer Service 866.965.0400

Windshield Washer Fluid

kitt1987

Question

17 answers to this question

Just curious if regular windshield washer fluid (which usually contains ethanol and/or ethylene glycol) breaks down glass sealant?

i.e., should I avoid washer fluid on my freshly sealed glass?

Really not a market we've got much interest in playing in as its more a commodity. A trip down the auto supply aisle at any store will show you the "Premium" gallons around $5 and the cheap ones under $2. Even looking around online its a space occupied by a ton of products that get the job done and at a price I doubt we could even manufacture and package something to compete.

Thats not to say I haven't tested a concentrate product, but wiper fluid is one of those things that works or doesn't. Its hard to create a premium solution and we're not much in the business of creating 'so so' products just to have a presence in the category. If we can ever come up with a solution that justifies a spot in the line b/c it does something better than the existing options we will, but so far not really a priority.

On a personal note - wiper fluid is one of those thing that I just pick up something reasonably priced and offers the right level of freeze protection for my climate. I've never noticed a dramatic performance benefit from one product vs. another.

I've seen another brand have a windshield washer booster fluid that is added to the existing fluid.  It's supposed to clean better. 

I use 1Z Kristall Klar in my "regular" blue or Rain-X orange gallons of fluid.  Does a good job of cleaning for sure much better than just blue fluid, with 1 bottle having enough to treat 8 gallons.  I would think if anything Adam's should come out with a concentrate additive, again though, not a hot seller, as P21S also has their own "booster".

I definitely DONT think they should sell pre-mixed gallons, shipping $5 gallons of washer fluid would kill them in shipping costs alone, and since washer fluid is 90% water it makes no sense for Adam's to sell water.

If you wanted to make your own washer fluid at home without the glycol and methanol there are plenty of DIY recipes online, most involve approx 1 gallon of water, an ounce of dish soap, a few ounces of alcohol, and a few ounces of glass cleaner.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

I've always used wiper fluid sparingly so its not a big deal when I go to buy some.  Pretty much the only time I use it is 1. when it is snowing and it starts freezing to the windshield (it seems to help melt the ice off), or 2. just after a rain when that road grime is spraying up from all the cars (which constitutes a wash the next dry day anyway). 

Other than that, I hate the line it leaves on the windshield where it goes from clean to dirty, I'd rather just have a slightly dirty windshield and clean it when I get home or whatever.  And it drives me insane when I'm rolling down the highway and the car in front of me sprays it and mists all over my clean truck.  In my opinion, I don't think it would be a worthwhile product in the Adams lineup.

On a side note, I saw a guy at the gas station cleaning the INSIDE of his windows with that dirty squeegee thing they have next to the pumps.  I almost passed out.

Edited by red94chev

I use 1Z Kristall Klar in my "regular" blue or Rain-X orange gallons of fluid.  Does a good job of cleaning for sure much better than just blue fluid, with 1 bottle having enough to treat 8 gallons.  I would think if anything Adam's should come out with a concentrate additive, again though, not a hot seller, as P21S also has their own "booster".

I definitely DONT think they should sell pre-mixed gallons, shipping $5 gallons of washer fluid would kill them in shipping costs alone, and since washer fluid is 90% water it makes no sense for Adam's to sell water.

If you wanted to make your own washer fluid at home without the glycol and methanol there are plenty of DIY recipes online, most involve approx 1 gallon of water, an ounce of dish soap, a few ounces of alcohol, and a few ounces of glass cleaner.

Bringing this back.  Have you continued using the 1Z in your washer fluid and if so how do you like it?  obviously not a good option during winter months here in NE WI but perhaps would be nice for summer.

Per forum rules I won't endorse it - but yes the "washer additives" work well - there are at least 3 on the market and I'm not currently using the brand I used in March but its a great cleaning booster even to add a dose to a regular gallon of washer fluid

I'm not a forum mod, but I think since Adam's doesnt have a product in this space you could speak freely about what you're using. Let's be honest, I think the spirit of not talking about non-adams products, is people coming on here, asking about a product does have, and someone steering them to a competitor of a same/similar product. I would be a little disappointed if we can't "help each other out" on THIS product since it competes with NOTHING in the Adam's line up. 

Well I mentioned earlier in the year I was using 1Z's product - I was happy with it - when it ran out, I noticed Sonax also makes a similar product, so I purchased it - both work equally well - as I mentioned earlier I have not tried the P21S version but it looks similar to the 1Z

I recommend the washer additives because they give the added cleaning power to your washer tank, even if just popping a dose into the regular blue/orange/green fluid that has the antifreeze additive.  If Adam's came out with an additive I would probably buy/use it as well.

If I lived in a southern state that didnt see freezing temps, I'd use the washer additive in distilled water only and not buy regular washer fluid ever.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Thinks Jason for the comments.  I will be trying the 1Z this upcoming winter as an additive to my antifreeze washer fluid.  I would go with the 1Z antifreeze, however you need like 2.5:1 product:water.  That would add up price wise in a hurry.

I use the El cheapo 1-2 dollar washer fluid and add about an ounce of rinseless wash to help with cleaning and breaking down bug guys etc. Best part is rinseless wash won't harm the paint by sitting on it until next wash.

Edited by Zach5.9CTD