Customer Service 866.965.0400

How Far is Too Far?

Grey Ghost

Question

I manage my 13 year old's baseball team.  Since we try to get to our field an hour before the game starts, my wife drives separately with the rest of the kids.  After last night's game, I walked my lovely wife to her van to help load up the kids.  She looked around and asked "Where did you park?"  I pointed over to the middle school parking lot about 100 yards away and said "There's no way I was parking in this dirt lot tonight.  My car is too clean and this dust gets everywhere."

She simply shook her head....nothing more.

24 answers to this question

:waveshand: Same here bro.  And the best part is I'm driving 80% of the time so the wife has learned to live with where I want to park.  Best is at the mall, because you know broads love to try and get close as they can as if they are going to miss a sale if they park far away.  When I do a beeline for the farthest back corner, I can feel the grip tighten on the straps of her pruse.

I drive closer to 99% of the time when we are together but I drop her off if we're doing anything at a major retail outlet.  That way I can scope out as many of the "far corners" as I can without guilt.  

Another gem.....when we got home she looked at the work bench and thanked me for clearing it of all my products.  I excitedly told her that I came up with a storage solutions in our upstairs air handler closet (biggest waste of space in the house until now).  She looks at me and asks why would I put it upstairs when the laundry room has space on the shelf and it's right across from the garage door.  I didn't have the heart to tell her that there is no way all of my stuff fits on that wee little shelf. 

I drive closer to 99% of the time when we are together but I drop her off if we're doing anything at a major retail outlet.  That way I can scope out as many of the "far corners" as I can without guilt.  

What guilt?  she should be thanking you because you are encouraging exercise LOL

Edited by Ricky Bobby

There are days I don't go into the office because I don't want to get my car dirty. My boss and I get a good laugh out of it when I work from home on days when it is raining a little bit.

I feel like you almost have to park that far away from people to keep your car from getting door dinged. Even then some asshole will always decide to park RIGHT next to you.

Our employee parking lot used to have 175 spaces until about 6 months ago when they added another section with another 172 spots.  This was the first step of an expansion where we will add about 40% headcount over the next 4 years.  Well, a few of us who take pride in our vehicles began parking on the new section, which happens to be the furthest area from the main entrance.  Unspoken rule was no one parked in the spot immediately next to anyone else.  All has been well until recently when more people were parking there.

Fast forward to this morning and as I'm grabbing my laptop bag from the trunk, one of the office admins drives past at least 30 spots to park right next to me in her Buick Rendezvous.  When she got out I told her that her car was too dirty to be back here.  She laughed until she saw I wasn't laughing then she pulled away. 

I will probably have a meeting with HR but oh well.

Our employee parking lot used to have 175 spaces until about 6 months ago when they added another section with another 172 spots.  This was the first step of an expansion where we will add about 40% headcount over the next 4 years.  Well, a few of us who take pride in our vehicles began parking on the new section, which happens to be the furthest area from the main entrance.  Unspoken rule was no one parked in the spot immediately next to anyone else.  All has been well until recently when more people were parking there.

Fast forward to this morning and as I'm grabbing my laptop bag from the trunk, one of the office admins drives past at least 30 spots to park right next to me in her Buick Rendezvous.  When she got out I told her that her car was too dirty to be back here.  She laughed until she saw I wasn't laughing then she pulled away. 

I will probably have a meeting with HR but oh well.

That sounds like a similar issue that we have had at the office here. We have a huge building but it was less than half capacity until a couple months ago. Now even if you park far away where we had the unspoken rule of every other space, someone will just park next to you. I've been tempted to leave notes when people do it to me. Just trying to figure out how to word it without HR or building management called on me.

Nothing wrong with that.  I do it.  My wife does it too.  She sees how hard I work on the cars and appreciates it enough to try and keep the cars clean as long as possible.  I've even seen her change dr. appointments if it's raining just so she doesn't get the car dirty.  I think she's worse than I am.

Nothing wrong with that.  I do it.  My wife does it too.  She sees how hard I work on the cars and appreciates it enough to try and keep the cars clean as long as possible.  I've even seen her change dr. appointments if it's raining just so she doesn't get the car dirty.  I think she's worse than I am.

Nice.  She's a keeper.

That sounds like a similar issue that we have had at the office here. We have a huge building but it was less than half capacity until a couple months ago. Now even if you park far away where we had the unspoken rule of every other space, someone will just park next to you. I've been tempted to leave notes when people do it to me. Just trying to figure out how to word it without HR or building management called on me.

Some of us have resorted to taking 2 spaces to try to send a subtle message.  What gets me is that until about 4 months ago, no one parked out there and the lot was expanded long before that.

031015 1

031015 2

I usually like to park directly next to the curb on the non driver side in a parking lot, the only time I'd ever "park close".

My reasoning is that if I'm close enough on one side to the curb even if someone parked next to me and swung their door open all the way they couldnt ding my door unless they were markedly trying to.

Nice. She's a keeper.

Some of us have resorted to taking 2 spaces to try to send a subtle message. What gets me is that until about 4 months ago, no one parked out there and the lot was expanded long before that.

See now I'd park in the spot right next to you where there's the cross hatch marks on the ground next to the curb. I'd park over the line just a tad to where I would be on the cross hatches. That would give you plenty of space.

I'm not a fan of taking two spots. I used to be. But then you are asking for someone to mess with you IMO. You're drawing unnecessary attention to your car in that situation. And even worse if you're driving a perceivably expensive car. Then you have to be worried about envious/malicious pricks. Just my 02.

Edited by PhilT3 2014 BMW M5

I usually go for a nice corner spot.

IMAG0135_zps476d26d1.jpg

If the wall was on the other side it would be my perfect spot.  Less of a chance that someone is in the passenger seat and swinging that door open, rather than the driver's side of the other car.

If the wall was on the other side it would be my perfect spot.  Less of a chance that someone is in the passenger seat and swinging that door open, rather than the driver's side of the other car.

I always back in though. If the wall was on the other side, I wouldn't be able to get out.

My work parking lot is very quickly hitting it's max occupancy. Yesterday was the first time in 10 years that I walked outside at lunch and there were cars parked on each side of mine...one very crooked with its' front end about 8" from my back wheels on the GS. I was not pleased, lol. I moved my car to a different space that was much wider since it's at the curved end of the lot...I've seriously parked in the same space for at least 4 years.

I went in and talked to the facility manager. "So about the parking lot situation..." He immediately started chuckling and said I know I know, we're running out of spaces fast. Then I asked him what we're going to do with 7 new hires and 15 or so interns coming this summer. If they don't expand the current lot or put down a second one, I'll be parking 3/4 of a mile down the road in our tech park to a closed business with a completely empty lot and getting some extra exercise every day...or maybe it would be smarter to ask the state police next door if they could save me a space :)