Customer Service 866.965.0400

Feedback on New Car Shampoo......

Guest washemup

Dylan recommended the 36 oz bottle with squeeze top to me on my first order of soap. Much easier to use.

I use 2oz in the gun and bucket. 

2 oz is same as a 1/4 cup. I can get this with 2 squeezes of the 36 oz bottle. It may take you 3, I have XL hands. Do it in a measuring cup the first time, and you'll have it close every time if you repeat the same amount of squeezes when putting it into your gun or bucket.

I don't have the Adams gun, I have a Gilmour that I set on max foam. The amount of product mixed using the Adams foam gun is based on metering tip selection. The new soap is more concentrated than the old, so be sure it's mixed well in your

gun, the color should be consistent, if it's darker at the bottom it's not mixed enough.

I would switch out the tip if your not happy with the amount of foam your getting. A larger tip will introduce the solution at a faster rate.  

Once you get the right one I'm sure this gun will do everything you could want from a foam gun.I wish mine had a tip instead of a plastic dial outside! Kind of hard to damage a tip that's inside a bottle!

3 gallons of water in my 5 gallon put 2 oz on mitt, I probably only get another gallon in when spraying hose to activate shampoo. I have a gallon of suds on top! Lasts for 30 minutes. If it dries on cool paint, no problems, rinses away clean. My mitt glides the same way using double this amount with the old soap.

Gave it another shot earlier tonight and had better results. I went with 16 pumps to get a true 4oz ratio. Filled with water and gave it a good shake. The foam was thicker and stayed on the panels longer. 

I don't know if it's just my imagination or not, but I seemed to use more product with a single wash of my truck. I looked at the reservoir and it was a little less than half empty after my foaming. Is everyone getting the same results with a full size truck/suv? Should I expect to use 16-18oz of foam per full size wash?

I will say I still miss the cherry bubblegum smell of the original car shampoo, but I have to get over that.

I felt like a convict washing my truck at 10PM in my driveway with the spotlight on overhead :lol:

Even though today was a permitted wash day for my address and it was after 6PM and technically still Monday, I never know if the neighbors will rat me out to the city water authorities, thinking I'm not following the allocated wash/water days.

I will say one gets to really know the panels and contours of his/her vehicle while washing at night, since it's not easy to see around the entire vehicle. Pretty sure I can wash my truck now blindfolded, 

I hope this CA drought goes away this Fall/Winter, I'm not liking this schedule of not being able to wash my vehicles when I want to. Pretty soon I'll be out there at 3AM washing, just because I have the itch :lol:

^I'd say with the foam gun full and based on the size of your truck I would expect to get 2 "foamings" out of a full one.

Which foam gun do you have, Adams, Griots, Gilmour?  Griots/Gilmour have 32oz reservoirs but IIRC the Adams gun has a smaller bottle, don't quote me on it.

Unless you changed the metering on your foamer in some way from one product to the next it couldn't realistically use the soap any faster. The draw rate of a hose end foamer is entirely dependent on the metering used and the PSI/GPM of your hose.

Glad you got it figured out and it turned out to be an issue of not using enough based on the per / pump amount. :cheers:

^I'd say with the foam gun full and based on the size of your truck I would expect to get 2 "foamings" out of a full one.

Which foam gun do you have, Adams, Griots, Gilmour?  Griots/Gilmour have 32oz reservoirs but IIRC the Adams gun has a smaller bottle, don't quote me on it.

I have a HydroFoamer that I've used for about 9 years now, it's the same gun I used with the old soap. 

Maybe I was a little trigger happy. 

Unless you changed the metering on your foamer in some way from one product to the next it couldn't realistically use the soap any faster. The draw rate of a hose end foamer is entirely dependent on the metering used and the PSI/GPM of your hose.

Glad you got it figured out and it turned out to be an issue of not using enough based on the per / pump amount. :cheers:

Yeah much better results, I don't know why I thought 1 pump was an ounce, when I talked to Benjamin yesterday, he informed me 1 pump is anywhere from .20-.25 of an ounce.

I have a HydroFoamer that I've used for about 9 years now, it's the same gun I used with the old soap. 

Maybe I was a little trigger happy. 

Yeah much better results, I don't know why I thought 1 pump was an ounce, when I talked to Benjamin yesterday, he informed me 1 pump is anywhere from .20-.25 of an ounce.

Glad to hear it man.  That HydroFoamer comes with 3 tips right?  I have the same one, and to be honest I yanked the metering tip off completely so it runs full boar, and when the 32 oz reservoir is full, I am able to soak my X5 for a "pre-foam", rinse, and then soap up the panel before I touch my mitt to it l and I still have a bit leftover when done which I just use before the final rinse. 

Glad to hear it man.  That HydroFoamer comes with 3 tips right?  I have the same one, and to be honest I yanked the metering tip off completely so it runs full boar, and when the 32 oz reservoir is full, I am able to soak my X5 for a "pre-foam", rinse, and then soap up the panel before I touch my mitt to it l and I still have a bit leftover when done which I just use before the final rinse. 

Mine came with literally a dozen tips or more. I still have all the tips. I believe I'm in the middle to upper range as far as foam dispersion.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did a wash with the new blue stuff. I am impressed with the slickness as well as how long the foam seemed to cling to the paint. Sometimes with the old stuff I would tend to see water spots during the drying process, but with this new edition, I saw few if any. I think you guys have a winner with this one. Is anyone surprised by that?

• 2 months later...

I finally finished up my other branded soaps and used the Adam's car shampoo (red) last weekend on my garage queen. The paint on the GQ was slick to the touch prior to the wash. After the wash, the paint does not have that slick feel; feels like I washed it with Dawn dish soap. Did the shampoo strip the wax?

Is this normal?

Edited by Ford Fest

The shampoo did not strip the wax whatsoever.

However, Adam's Car Shampoo does not have a wax additive in it so it is not going to be a "gloss enhancing" or "wash n wax" shampoo in one step.  If you want slick feel after the wash and while the car is wet, mist the Detail Spray on the surface as you are drying for a streak free finish and a slick feel.

Sounds like you are due for another coat of whatever LSP you are currently using.

Well I pretty much have given up on this new formula. Results have been poor for my liking, even with the 16 pumps per 32oz water. I'm just not getting the amount of lasting foam I once was with the old formula. I miss the old red cherry smelling soap so much!

I switched to another brand of car soap and bought an MTM foam cannon and electric pressure washer. 

I'm getting much better coverage with the foam cannon vs my foam gun. Gives me more time to move around my entire truck to wash it, without the soap dissolving so quickly.

Live and learn I guess. 

Edited by Mark L

Appreciate the honest feedback Mark!  Remember to use our 110% Guarantee.   Also, we have some of the Old Red hanging around, talk with Ben or Kourtney at the HQ and we can make some find it's way to you! 

Well I pretty much have given up on this new formula. Results have been poor for my liking, even with the 16 pumps per 32oz water. I'm just not getting the amount of lasting foam I once was with the old formula. I miss the old red cherry smelling soap so much!

I switched to another brand of car soap and bought an MTM foam cannon and electric pressure washer. 

I'm getting much better coverage with the foam cannon vs my foam gun. Gives me more time to move around my entire truck to wash it, without the soap dissolving so quickly.

Live and learn I guess. 

did you try the blue Adam's soap with your foam cannon? The foam cannon is going to produce way better results than a foam gun. Although I have seen some people get very good results from their foam guns as well.

Live and learn I guess. 

Try adding a little more or change the metering tip to one that suits your needs.  I've had good foam with 2-3 oz's of the new soap in the foam gun.

While I haven't used the new shampoo, my understanding is that you need to shake up the solution a bit more as it doesn't mix as well as the red stuff. Ignore tip if you are already doing this.

I think I'm going to miss the sweet cherry smell when I run out of my gallon :(

Edited by goheels

Try adding a little more or change the metering tip to one that suits your needs.  I've had good foam with 2-3 oz's of the new soap in the foam gun.

i usually use a good 2+ oz's of soap in my foam gun, with the recommended metering tip... would changing the metering tip really change my results that much? I get good foam but not comparable to my foam cannon at all.

Way too much thought going into this in my opinion. Foaming down the paint with a foam gun prior to washing is a largely unnecessary step, it is mostly for enjoyment and to add a little extra foam to the paint. There should be no issues with getting good foam out of 2 oz of the new stuff vs the old stuff. I see barely any difference between the two soaps. More foam doesn't equal better cleaning or performance. 

Edited by lax

Way too much thought going into this in my opinion. Foaming down the paint with a foam gun prior to washing is a largely unnecessary step, it is mostly for enjoyment and to add a little extra foam to the paint. 

It depends.  I eliminated my soap bucket because of it.  I foam down the car, use my rinse bucket when needed, then spray the foam gun into my wash media to get fresh soap.

It depends.  I eliminated my soap bucket because of it.  I foam down the car, use my rinse bucket when needed, then spray the foam gun into my wash media to get fresh soap.

Probably .1% of people on this forum wash a car this way. Obviously I'm speaking of using it with a traditional 2-bucket wash. Larry's method is awesome as well, depending on the vehicle's need. 

Way too much thought going into this in my opinion. Foaming down the paint with a foam gun prior to washing is a largely unnecessary step, it is mostly for enjoyment and to add a little extra foam to the paint. There should be no issues with getting good foam out of 2 oz of the new stuff vs the old stuff. I see barely any difference between the two soaps. More foam doesn't equal better cleaning or performance.

I foam it twice. Gets as much loose stuff off prior to anything touching the paint.

I foam it twice. Gets as much loose stuff off prior to anything touching the paint.

The rinsing is what's getting off the loose stuff, the foam does very little extra. 

Can more than guarantee you the amount of dirt removed by foaming twice is almost identical to rinsing down once with my electric pressure washer. 

Edited by lax

I'm partially with Tim and with Matt above.

The foam gun (not cannon), saves me the additional bucket as I have been doing the Larry Kosilla traditional wash method, using a soap bucket with GG, rinsing it as needed, and using 2 wash medias (one for uppers and one for lowers) and foaming the surface just before the mitt touches it, totally slick.

However, I agree with Tim that foaming is mostly fun (especially with the hose foam gun), you may get a bit more cling and more cleaning action based on the volume you can put on the paint with a foam cannon, but largely giving a rinse with the electric pressure washer is going to remove most of the loose stuff on the paint.

Some days, I traditional wash with the foam cannon, then rinse with PW, then go into a traditional 2 bucket wash.  Some days, I'm too lazy to bring out the PW, and just use the foam gun for a pre-foaming, rinse, then foam up again panel by panel with my 1 bucket.  Depends on my mood.