Customer Service 866.965.0400

Super VRT running from trim

CooperS7777

Question

Is there anything that can be done to prevent SVRT from "bleeding" or running from trim?

AAA7E19E-0CAA-4134-B0E2-4671D3B46124_zps

I noticed it a few months back on the wifes Explorer, but its much more pronounced on my truck.  Ive tried cutting back the dose, applying thinner coats, etc. but it never fails - shortly after it rains, the SVRT runs down off the trim.

Thanks in advance! 

-Coop

20 answers to this question

That happened to me, all over my side windows. It was pretty hard to get off too. I think I used glass cleaner, APC, and I think clay finally took it off. I haven't used it since, but I'm going to try it again soon and be sure to wipe it after.

Clean the trim better. Use less product. Knock off any excess after application with a utility towel

I will try making a second pass with a clean utility towel - the trim is spotless and I don't know if I could go any less on the sponge and achieve full coverage.  Its odd in that I haven't had this issue in the past. 

Exact same thing on my freshly detailed MINI! I spent hours cleaning it and came out to find the windows all streaked from the roofline trim. I cleaned it meticulously beforehand and used svrt in very modest amounts. Then wiped down after to get any off the surrounding areas. I haven't had time to fix it yet so am hoping it's not as big a hassle as it sounds like.

This has happened to me since day 1. It only happens in rain though. What I mean is, when I hose the car down prior to washing it doesnt seem to happen. Its after a long rain when it happens? And I know its not too much product, as I apply it, then take a clean muliti purpose and whipe it down completely. Doesnt happen on my tires at all, just trim

I've never had the "Super VRT runs" but I can also think of the following:

-Shake it up well prior to dispensing, maybe the product is not adequately mixed

-Dilute it 1:1 with distilled water and literally on a bed rail like that, 2-3 mists MAX from a spray bottle would coat and protect the trim, and use less than applied with a sponge

I have a ton of lower black plastic trim on my X5 and yes some plastics are more porous than others, but I don't really get the runs.  Yes after hard rains it will look thinner in spots (the water repellancy only lasts so long) so it has some spots that will look darker than others if its been a month from application and it just finished pouring out.

Maybe In and Out is a better candidate for that piece of trim?  Or Quick Sealant?

Make sure the area is 100% free of old or other products and or containments by cleaning with apc.  And like Jason says if your diluting it make sure you use distilled water.  use less product and wipe down after application with a towel

With mine I don't think it was due to rain. I did the car on Sunday. Monday I did the interior. On Tuesday the news was freaking out about these storms we were supposed to get that were said to have caused heavy hail damage in neighboring states. I moved all our cars under shelter at our kennel for the night. Wednesday morning my daughter and I moved the cars back up to the house and when I parked the car I noticed the streaks down the glass, sigh.

I will sometimes apply trim dressings using a MF as opposed to an applicator. It allows me to rub the product in to all of the grooves and crevices and after dressing all of the trim you can easily come back using a cleaner side of the towel to buff it down. I find this helps to cut down on product usage/waste and because the MF will absorb some products allows you to apply only as much as you need to dress it and no excess.

I thought there is a new formula that is supposed to prevent running.  I was thinking about buying VRT so I am glad I saw this first.

i would still buy it if you haven't tried it.   it is good stuff and I believe it is trial an error.  different plastics react differently to amounts of VRT

i would still buy it if you haven't tried it.   it is good stuff and I believe it is trial an error.  different plastics react differently to amounts of VRT

I love it for the black plastic lower trim on my wife's CR-V.  But I used it for a second time on my GTI on all of the rubber trim around the windows and this time I made sure to go back and wipe it with a towel to make sure there wasn't too much.  But in the next rain storm, it still ran down all of the windows.  Luckily it wiped off much easier this time.  So maybe it just doesn't soak in well enough on the trim that I am using it on.  I also used a another brand's in & out type spray on the front mesh grills and that stuff ran down the bumper too.  So I probably won't be using those products on my car anymore but, yes, it's great for certain types of trim.

When washing the the truck the other week I did a little test for myself at least. 

I did the bed rails on each side of the truck and noticed that on side one I used a bunch of product (too much really) and then had to actually use it on some other trim to get the extra out of the foam block. 

On side two i used very little for it and just enough to barely coat the trim. After driving the truck around and getting rained on neither have run and both held up well thou the lightly applied side is not beading as well after the 3rd storm. 

My only conclusion is that you either got more of an oil to it and needed to really shake the product up or there was something in the trim that needed to be removed. 

A full strength APC wipe down/scrub with an MF towel is ALWAYS recommended to get the trim bare of any old dressings or products, prior to first time applying Super VRT.  If VRT is all you are using on the trim afterwards, you probably only need to clean it every few months or so, because you won't be building up oil or silicone based products on the trim.

Super VRT will not penetrate/soak in to any plastic or non-porous materials, so as noted, if you use too much, it's gonna run and smear because it just sits on top.  Try some Quick Sealant on hard surfaces.  It will darken things up just a bit (and you can do a second coat if desired) and if it's the ABS plastic with a texture, there isn't even a need to buff it off - just make sure you get it applied evenly with a foam block applicator.  a good scrubbing with APC  is a must prior.  I use old toothbrushes and have a dedicated cockpit brush for doing lower rockers and large pieces of trim prior to applying a final dressing.

- Darryl

I'm sorry to hear others have had issues with VRT, after my first few months of using Adam's products, it's turned out to definitely be one of my favorite products (that's saying something because I really enjoy all of their products other than a couple things I haven't tried and don't truly need).  With all the rain we've had in Ohio this summer I was personally surprised by the durability of it and how I've only had to touch it up 3 times since my initial application in May.  I've had no run off, spotiness, or anything.  I've even dressed my engine bay with it and still looks new.  As others have said, maybe it was an "off" batch or maybe it has to do with the plastic/vinyl on certain vehicles too.  Really stupid suggestion, do you think it might have something to do with the quality of rainfall you've experienced in your area?  I just wonder if it happens mainly during heavy rain.....