Customer Service 866.965.0400

You Help Me Pick My Polisher

csikx

Question

I hate to be this guy but after hours and days of searching the internet, I can't get a solid answer.  So, I trust you guys...

I am either purchasing the PC 7424XP or Griot's Garage Polisher.  If you were to advise on those two and those two ONLY which one would you go with?  I'd love to hear from people that experienced both.  I'm ready to pull the trigger and can't make up my mind

***DISCLAIMER: I will not entertain any other polishers at this point.  I don't mind spending the money now - becoming skilled and upgrading later.  You can never have too many tools.

Thanks for your input and time.

:)

23 answers to this question

I don't think you'll get much conversation on the GG polisher on this forum seeing that the sponsor of this forum is a competitor to GG. There's another forum where this conversation is had quite often and are viewed as equals. 

The Porter Cable 7424XP is a tried and true machine that apparently is bullet proof.

I have no personal experience to give you. That being said I have been reading about polishers for months and months on end. They are both beginner/entry level polishers that being said I doubt there is a huge difference from what I have read. The gg unit seems to fail compared to the pc unit from all the forums I have read about them on. Gg states a lifetime warranty but shipping a heavy machine isn't cheap and your down your machine while waiting repair. If those are the only 2 options your willing to explore I would go with the pc since adams has carried them for years. Adams has a pretty strict performance guideline they go buy, I know they don't make it but they stand behind it with the system they have designed for polishing. I would get a kit as you save money in the long run. Im not sure if the new clay comes with the kit since they just released it today maybe the godfather Dan can chip in on that.

Are you buying based on spec sheets alone?

I recommend that you try both (maybe some detailing buddies have one of each) and see which suits you the best. At the end of the day no matter which you choose it is going to be your go to tool and many hours in your hands.

Personally when I'm shopping for a new polisher I look at 3 things, build quality, power to pad ratio and user comfort.

I don't think you'll get much conversation on the GG polisher on this forum seeing that the sponsor of this forum is a competitor to GG. There's another forum where this conversation is had quite often and are viewed as equals. 

The Porter Cable 7424XP is a tried and true machine that apparently is bullet proof.

Didn't even think about that.  I assumed there is a reason Adam's doesn't carry GG.  I keep forgetting they sell detail items and not just polishers.  They are also made in China, I believe.

I have no personal experience to give you. That being said I have been reading about polishers for months and months on end. They are both beginner/entry level polishers that being said I doubt there is a huge difference from what I have read. The gg unit seems to fail compared to the pc unit from all the forums I have read about them on. Gg states a lifetime warranty but shipping a heavy machine isn't cheap and your down your machine while waiting repair. If those are the only 2 options your willing to explore I would go with the pc since adams has carried them for years. Adams has a pretty strict performance guideline they go buy, I know they don't make it but they stand behind it with the system they have designed for polishing. I would get a kit as you save money in the long run. Im not sure if the new clay comes with the kit since they just released it today maybe the godfather Dan can chip in on that.

You know.  I have seen that more often when compared to the PC.  Griot's seems to fail more often.  Although, the PC only has a 1 year warranty I think and according to some detailing videos I watched, you really only want to polish your car once, right?  The whole point is to no reintroduce scratches and swirls.  This is accomplished through technique and utilizing thr two bucket wash and proper towels, etc.  So essentially, I will use the polisher once in that year and BOOM warranty gone.

Lets put it this way..............Adam's has a 110% guarantee on every product they sell.  

Does the other guy? 

Go with Adam's and the 7424.

Very valid point.  I'm all about supporting Adam's.

Are you buying based on spec sheets alone?

I recommend that you try both (maybe some detailing buddies have one of each) and see which suits you the best. At the end of the day no matter which you choose it is going to be your go to tool and many hours in your hands.

Personally when I'm shopping for a new polisher I look at 3 things, build quality, power to pad ratio and user comfort.

Honestly, the junkman videos made me stick to the PC.  He states he doesn't recommend any other polisher for a novice/beginner since they are so safe.  He doesn't talk about the GG much, but says it's okay too.

I will say this much about the 7424.  There is MUCH less vibration with the new Adam's pads which is good for my old back and arms.  

That's good to know as that was a big complainant for the PC> 

Thanks for the replies everyone.  Very much appreciated.  Sorry my first post came off harsh.  I wrote it late and I was tired, haha.

I don't have any experience with the GG either, so I can't speak on its reliability. But I don't know that I've ever seen a PC fail. And that is 3 or 4 of them used at my dealership every day for many years. I think they are all at least 8-10 years old and one of them quite a bit older.

I can't speak for the GG machine however I can for the PC, it's a good entry level machine to get you into machine polishing. I would bet that most of us all started with PC including myself. Please let me know if you have any other questions and don't forget to check out the Gen5 pads as well.

They are already in my cart, haha.  Thanks for the reply!

Hi Nick!

Others have already touched on our 110% satisfaction guarantee, and we certainly stand behind it! Our friends at Griot's make fantastic detailing products as well, but we obviously cannot endorse or discuss them too much here since this is a forum paid for by Adam for discussion of detailing questions, tips, and techniques associated with the product line that we carry. We've had a lot of new members join our forum in the last few months, which is awesome and we are thankful for it, so it's probably a good time to remind everyone to review the user agreement under New Member Check-In :)

I will agree that the PC 7424XP is the perfect machine for beginners that are just starting out with machine polishing, due to its' price and good results, but it's not the only safe machine for beginners in my opinion. There have been great technology advancements in random orbital polishers over the last few years that have brought about several other great machines that I personally feel are great for beginners as well. The Rupes LHR 15ES is an incredible random orbital machine with very low vibration, smooth operation, great correcting power, and still very safe for a beginner to pick up and not cause damage to the finish of their vehicle when used with the proper pads and polishes. I've had people that have never held a polisher before try them out at shows and detail clinics after watching Adam or myself after a few minutes and they are amazed at how these machines work. Since they are not a rotary-style buffer, they are not going to generate anywhere near as much heat, which is one of the main causes of clear coat failure/strike-through when polishing. The same comments can be said about the Cyclo as well.

As for the 1 year warranty, the Porter Cable that I had was traded to me by someone that had already used it for about a year. I had it for 2 years before I traded it away to a third person about 4 years ago, and as far as I know it's still running strong.

For polishing only 1 time, that is the goal, but it isn't always a realistic expectation on a daily driven car, or show car either. Even with the safest 2-bucket wash method and proper drying technique, there is still a chance that you will get swirl marks in your car if your wash media or towel would pick up and drag a stray piece of contaminant...accidents do happen...that will need to be polished out again if you want it looking perfect. I usually machine polish my daily driver twice a year. All it takes is one "complimentary free wash!" at the dealership (after I specifically tell them not to wash the car) to bring back swirl marks, or something like an old coworker at my previous job doing a nice gesture and wiping snow off of my car with their nice rough winter gloves out in the parking lot when I was working late (happened one time, never again) - no matter how careful I am, I still usually end up adding a few swirl marks and imperfections here and there.

Since you said you don't mind spending the money now, excluding all other polishers out there other than the 2 you mentioned might be a quick decision that may not necessarily be the best one for you. When I first started polishing my car, I figured it would be the only one I worked on, but then me being a gearhead and really starting to enjoy paint correction, I started to detail a lot of other vehicles for friends, family, coworkers, etc. It got to the point where I was doing full details for 2 or more vehicles per month on the evenings and weekends. The entry level PC worked well, with the trade-off that it was somewhat slow and really wore me out as I worked - forearms would hurt and my fingers would swell up from vibrations, so I knew it was time to upgrade to a faster and better unit. Knowing what I know now, had a machine like the Rupes 15 been available back when I started, or if I knew about the Cyclo back then, well, if I could go back in time I would tell myself to spend a little more and buy one of those machines from the get go :)

If you're only going to polish 1 car once a year though, the PC will be more than adequate. We want you to make the right decision, so let us know if you have any other questions!

After all Dan's phenomenal response above, the point is the last 2 sentences are the most true. Yes a Rupes is great but like any precision tool it should be used often. Nothing worse than a shiny Ferrari that never gets driven :)

If you are polishing yearly or so and just maintaining your own cars, the PC with the 6" pads, plus a 4" pad and backing plate set will be more than adequate. Stock up on extra polishing pads and extra product, IMO

My PC is my tight area machine currently and is still going strong after 11 years

Wow... Dan!  Thanks for much for taking the time for your in-depth reply!  In a video I watched on YouTube from a person I already mentioned, he stated that they do not feel that the FLEX 3401 VRG is a novice/beginner polisher.  Is the Rupes comparable to the Flex or is the Rupes safer?  Thanks again!

I would save up and pick up a Rupes 15 MArk II.  I received mine a few weeks ago and it's a great machine.  No vibration unlike the PC.   

The PC vibrations would cause my hands to be fatigued and also to have them feel a tingling sensation after using it for hours during a paint correction. 

The Rupes and Flex are two different machines.  The Rupes is a dual action polisher where as the Flex is forced rotation.  That's a real basic answer.  The Rupes is user friendly. 

I agree with Guz-man. The Flex 3401 VRG is a different animal than the Rupes machines. My opinion, and others may disagree, is that the 3401 is best for more experienced users, as it does have forced rotation (RPM's) as well as random oscillations (OPM's). This means that it can "walk" on a panel with you easier and requires a little more technique and finesse to use properly.

I love the Flex and use it just as often as my Rupes machines, but a few friends that have tried out the Flex just to see what it's like, their initial impressions were basically "wow this thing is strong." Once you get the hang of it, it's controllable and corrects very fast and effectively, but since it is a hybrid between a rotary style and random orbital polisher, it can be more of a handful that you need to be a little more careful when using it.  

Dan really nailed it here with alot of comments. 

I started out with the PC and I can honestly say, it did a GREAT job, for the price wow it just wont be beat. Adams will stand behind it if that is your choice and will certainly make any issues right, this IS Adams we are talking about. 

I did as you did and upgraded later, now having a Cyclo and a Mini, Kinda wished I had just skipped forward and saved the money. Well over $200 invested into the PC and pads all sold after less than 6 uses for $100 because the vibrations just drove me nuts doing my F250. I know you said you were not interested in others and honing technique but really, spend a little more money now and save it later. 

Nick, The rupes is still very safe compared to the old school rotary you might be thinking of. Rupes invented a large throw orbital polisher so it can correct more damage faster when compared to the pc unit. Rupes is either 15 or 21mm throw compared to 8mm in a traditional da polisher. Im personally going to pick up the new rupes mark 2 15 from Dan in the coming weeks. If you do some research online beaides here you will see rupes is a highly talked about company. I don't see the point in spending 150 on a machine plus pads to fit it then grow out of it in a year, however you can still learn good technique if that's the route your more comfortable with. I like the idea of less vibration and faster correction speeds personally.

I've used the PC and it was a great learning tool.  Very rough on the hands due to vibration but overall it did the job as a beginner. I know you said you've made up your mind between the two but honestly, I would save the $120-$160 you're putting towards it and go for the Rupes Bigfoot 15.  That's what I use now. 

I have used:

PC 7424XP

Cyclo

Flex 3401 VRG

Rupes 75E Mini

Rupes LHR 21ES

and I personally prefer the Rupes LHR 21ES over the rest.  The FLEX is also great, but I would not recommend for a beginner.

It was a hard choice for me, and I asked on here with the same theory fans of each coming out to say why that one is best. 

Absolutely agree that the PC is Safe, Easy, and certainly performs well for a beginner. 

With that said I was really tempted between the bigfoot line and the Cyclo. I ended up doing the cyclo and mini for the simple thing of I only need to worry about 4 inch pads now. Either way asking around here many folks said that you cant beat any of them and none are significantly better than the other. The exception might be the Flex and there were quite a few that said it is a great machine but with the forced rotation while correcting faster than the others could also do more paint damage if you were not careful with it. 

Did my daughter in laws Ford Escape wit the Cyclo this afternoon, house was full of women for her baby shower ( granddaughter # 2!). Somehow she had scratches on hood, doors and roof, looked like she drove the thing through a hedgerow. Cyclo and orange pads followed by white pads and finishing polish did the trick and much easier on my shoulder than my PC. On the passenger door, I had my 10 year old granddaughter run the Cyclo, figured she should learn how to correct paint. I hope someday she can show up a boyfriend

Long post but the point is CYCLO ROCKS!