Customer Service 866.965.0400

Great White Drying Towel Causing Swirls

ouhockeyplayer

Question

I have two great white drying towels that I regularly use to dry off my car. They are not brand new, but they aren't that old either.  Lately I've noticed how rough these towels feel and how quickly they lost their plushness.  The towels are always washed after each use using only microfiber revitalizer in warm water and dried on extra low heat for approximately 40 minutes.  Lately I have been afraid to use the towels because I'm starting to notice swirl marks and scratching in the direction that I wipe the car down to dry it.  I've switched over to using an Uber Super Drying microfiber towel from detailers domain and have had good results with that.  Is there anything that I could possibly be doing wrong in caring for these towels to cause them to become rough to the touch?  I don't want to put these in the bin of towels that are designated for door jambs and wheels.  The car is also misted with detail spray after rinsing down to provide further lubrication while drying.  

22 answers to this question

I have two great white drying towels that I regularly use to dry off my car. They are not brand new, but they aren't that old either.  Lately I've noticed how rough these towels feel and how quickly they lost their plushness.  The towels are always washed after each use using only microfiber revitalizer in warm water and dried on extra low heat for approximately 40 minutes.  Lately I have been afraid to use the towels because I'm starting to notice swirl marks and scratching in the direction that I wipe the car down to dry it.  I've switched over to using an Uber Super Drying microfiber towel from detailers domain and have had good results with that.  Is there anything that I could possibly be doing wrong in caring for these towels to cause them to become rough to the touch?  I don't want to put these in the bin of towels that are designated for door jambs and wheels.  The car is also misted with detail spray after rinsing down to provide further lubrication while drying.  

I would caution against posting specifics about competitors products or reviews of them as this goes against the community rules for Adam's Forums. 

As far as drying the towels, it is best to wring them out after washing and allow them to air dry in a clean environment rather than using the dryer.  The heat is not particularly good for the towels and the reason they are not as effective could be from them picking up media from other wash loads that is left behind in the dryer.

Use a lubricant while drying. Adam's Detail Spray works wonderfully for this!

I used to dry using a fresh towel and nothing else. And no matter what I used, I found tiny swirls afterwards (my clearcoat is very soft). I corrected and polished and, taking advice from these forums, started using Detail Spray as a drying towel lubricant. Just spray on while the car is wet and dry normally. Not a single swirl since, using the same GW towels that previously swirled my paint.

Not the towel causing swirls. Technique is everything

EDIT:  Use your best judgement on your towels, I have 3 of the towels you mentioned and when you want the absolute softest touch, they work great.  Also, I have seen some waffle weave towels updated recently with silk banded instead of overlock stitching - I think this is a huge plus.  Perhaps in a GWDT update they will get them banded with silk.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Guest washemup

If your towels are completely dry after the 40 minutes in the dryer, even on lower heat settings, it's not good for them. Microfiber is very small, and can be damaged from heat easily.

Put an ounce of distilled white vinegar in your next wash during the rinse cycle. This should help soften them. Only run them in the dryer for 10-15 minutes, lowest heat setting, they should still be lightly damp, allow them to air dry in an area free of dust/dirt.

EDIT- I'd also recommend if your not currently doing it, a pooling rinse after rinsing your soap off the car, this will remove much of the water that is on the car, making drying quicker, easier and safer.

Microfiber absorbs best when it's slightly damp, you can also give the towel a shot of detail spray, or distilled water. 

I usually spray 1/2 of the towel, then fold it together like a sandwich to get it very lightly damp.

Edited by BRZN

The only Adams microfiber towel I have ever had issue with is a single soft that I wrapped over the head of my steamer to clean a really nasty carpet issue. The steam must have fused the microfiber in the pattern of the steamer head, as the outline of it is permanent in the towel and feels very rough. It's not the towels fault, it's my fault for using a good towel for a steamer job. Now I have an expensive parts towel. Never had any other issues and use great whites for drying. Like others have said, wash and then dry a little in the dryer, hang them up damp to finish drying.

As stated above, be sure to use some type of lubricant when using the drying towel; Detail Spray, Rinseless Wash mixed up as a Waterless Wash, or plain old Waterless Wash are a few good ones.

If the towels may have some mineral deposits in them, adding the mentioned distilled white vinegar to either the rinse cycle of the washer, or water to boil them in will help remove it.

FWIW:

I dry my microfiber towels (all of them) in the dryer with no adverse effects; medium heat and no fabric softener dryer sheets. They dry softer this way than hanging them to dry. If you do decide to try hanging them to dry I'd recommend/suggest running them for 10 minutes or so in the dryer on the no heat/fluff cycle. a few of my towels are more than ten years old, yea they're pretty thread bare and used primarily for door jams and wheels, but still dry soft and in great shape.

Not the towel causing swirls. Technique is everything

I would have to respectfully disagree there my friend.  These drying towels get rough just as the OP has described.  Which is why many detailers have moved to a plush drying towel...

For what it is worth OP, the great whites make great shelf liners for your detail cart.

I would have to respectfully disagree there my friend.  These drying towels get rough just as the OP has described.  Which is why many detailers have moved to a plush drying towel...

For what it is worth OP, the great whites make great shelf liners for your detail cart.

No worries my friend - I edited post to clarify further as I do have 3 of the ultra plush towels which I also use to dry with (for softer paints and black paint especially you want a plush drying towel) - also have seen waffle weaves now getting banded in silk which is hugely helpful.  I do agree that the waffle weaves have less of a life cycle than a plush towel.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

I like to think it's a bit of both.  I've got some great whites, but I use a plush towel and do more blotting than wiping.  I figure the less wiping of the paint there is, the chance of inducing scratches reduces as well.

I'd agree with that, this is one case where less wiping is better. And I would also agree with the earlier post and boil with a little vinegar in the water and air dry see if they soften up a little. Mine are old and i still think they are soft but I blot more then wipe with them.

What would be the best method for cleaning out a washer and dryer to clean the towels?  Sounds like I almost need to invest in a separate washer and dryer just for my towels lol.  Hopefully it is only a matter of time before Adams introduces a super plush drying towel as the idea seems like it would be safer. 

They are not brand new, but they aren't that old either.

How old is not old?  Two Adams towels are $50.00

I expect to get lots of use out of them (with proper care) or I wont be happy.

I have been using the double soft towels to dry with as they seem to feel safer to me.

Guest washemup

What would be the best method for cleaning out a washer and dryer to clean the towels?  Sounds like I almost need to invest in a separate washer and dryer just for my towels lol.  Hopefully it is only a matter of time before Adams introduces a super plush drying towel as the idea seems like it would be safer. 

If you wipe down the inside of the dryer with IPA 10%-15%, you'll be fine, For your washer, check the inside with your hand, most residues are removed during the rinse, if residues are present, wipe down with APC and run a rinse cycle.

I use cheap cotton washcloths for this, as I don't want to introduce fabric softeners to microfibers.

If the drying towel you bought from Phil at DD is working, I'd continue to use it, Phil also sells Adams products, so I don't think it's against the rules to mention a product he sells that Adams doesn't carry.