Customer Service 866.965.0400

What are you doing to try and stay healthy?

LFairbanks

What are you doing to try and stay healthy?

Having a job with lots of physical activity and walking I think has helped me stay somewhat healthy to this point.  I also realize that I'm getting older and need to do better job of eating healthier, and finding ways to stay healthy.  My question to all of you on this forum is what do you do?  Whether it be dietary or exercise?  Share your thoughts so that someone may benefit.  

For me I have recently started using the countertop weight that my wife purchased several months ago.  I have been hitting the store on the weekends and loading up on fresh fruits and vegetables for the week.  I just throw whatever in there and blend it up and drink it.  I have found that eating healthier is also more expensive.  I can see where some may make poor dietary choices due to price and value.  

My favorite thus far was a mix of spinach, broccoli, green grapes, plain greek yogurt, some frozen fruit that contained peaches and melons, fresh walnuts and scoop of protein powder some pineapple juice and some water.  I have tried recipes and have found it to be easier to make my own concoctions.  I don't measure anything, just throw some stuff in there and blend it.  Haven't had anything I didn't like yet.  

With my girlfriend being in nursing school, we have talked about nutrition at great length.  The main thing to think about is moderation and variety.  

I did a 50lb weight loss last year while eating as much as I wanted.  I just basically limited my carb intake to next to 0 and ate plenty of vegetables and meat.  I try to skip red meat as much as possible, due to the negative health that can be related to it.  Once again, I do eat it in moderation.  I also made sure I ate as many healthy fats as possible.

Instead of eating sweets, I substituted fruits.  As most of us know, Americans eat far too much sugar in a day.

Exercise is important and I make it mandatory to get my heart pumping for 30 minutes a day.  That is usually running the track or some other cardio at the gym.

As far as the price reference, I shop my local farmers market or I go to a chain of stores called "Sprouts" that is basically a cheaper Whole Foods.  I find my normal meal cost to be between $4-$6 per person.  Typically that is much cheaper than eating out.

I just turned 70 in September.  I lost 40 lbs, get exercise, keep up with my routine dr. appointments and never miss my meds ( high blood pressure and cholesterol ), and watch the amounts of sweets I eat.  I'm doing pretty well.

I am 51 years old.

I run, bike and swim weekly along with healthy eating and annual doctor visits.

I run about 25 miles a week, bike 100 miles a week and swim about 2 miles a week.  These amounts increase when training for a running race or triathlon.

I still would like to be 5 pounds lighter, as I feel better when I am at that weight.

On 21 January of this year I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. A lifetime of excessive carb intake made my body resistant to the insulin my pancreas produces in response to the food I eat.  This was my wake up call. Being the father of a Type I diabetic I was already versed in counting carbs so I put myself on the Abby (my diabetic daughter) diet. I limit myself to about 55 g of carbs per meal and a 20 g carb snack in between. I do the snack to keep my blood sugar levels consistent throughout the day.  I have also made myself get off my a** and not park in front of the internet unless I've done quite a bit of movement to offset it.  Net effect is 53 less pounds of me with more to come off. My A1C went from 8.5 to 6.2 at my first checkup. Looking at my daily numbers I'm hoping for an A1C in the upper 5 range at my next checkup later this month.

One thing I do want to point out to anyone reading my post is that ALL fruits and vegetables have some carbs in them. We use the app. Calorie King to look up how many grams of carbs are in food Abby is eating. We count the carbs and use that to input the amount of insulin her pump will give her. As an example a cup of asparagus contains 5 g carbs, a cup of strawberries 11 gcarbs. If we don't count that it can make her blood sugar from 25-50 points higher.

A really good book on sugar was published in the U.K.in the early 1970's by John Yudkin. He correctly predicted the obesity epidemic the industrialized world is now experiencing. Pure, White and Deadly is the title and I got my copy off of the site named after a big river in Brazil.

Over on YouTube I found this lecture on sugar by Dr. Robert Lustig, Professor of Pediatric Endocrinology at University of California, San Francisco. Long talk but very well worth the time to listen.

Paul.  Is there foods or a particular food that is beneficial to a diabetic?

Proteins, natural carbs such as whole grains, vegetables and fruits. One of the keys I've found is my small mid morning and mid afternoon snacks to keep my blood sugar consistent. Both my daughter and I try to avoid spikes in our levels. We both stay away the best we can from processed sugars, especially high fructose corn syrup.

I started doing cardio 3 days a week 4 years ago.  Cut out soda, and only one glass of sweet tea a day, and drink several bottles of water day.  Lost 30 pounds, and guess what, made no difference to my cholesterol and blood pressure.  But I kept up with the cardio, switching from stationary bike to stair climbing.  I think climbing stairs or using a stair master machine is the most efficient cardio you can do - for me I burn over 500 calories in a 30 minute workout, and heart rate is in my 'work' zone for 25 minutes.

Unfortunately,my work schedule has been very hectic the last several months, so I am down to 1 day a week of cardio.  In the next few weeks, I will be back to 3 days a week, and adding some weight lifting and stretching too.   

I do my best to go to the gym at least 4 days a week and incorporate cardio at the end of my workouts.  Gave up soda a few years ago. Drink plenty of water. I still enjoy on occasional Redbull though haha. About 8 months ago I decided to eliminate all animal products from my diet.  Haven't looked back since and I feel great.

Good Morning!!

As your resident Florence Nightingale, I would like to encourage you all to seriously consider getting a Flu Shot!!  It  is one of the simplest ways to stay healthier from the months of October to May.  Please consult with your PCP if you have allergies to eggs and are unable to get the flu shot- there are alternatives!! 

I am very happy to read all the great ways the Adams Community is trying to stay healthy!!  I will re-iterate a few great ways to stay fit:

1.  DRINK WATER!!  avoid the sodas, fruit juices.....they are filled with nothing but sugar and fructose

2. Try and eat fresh!  Fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables

3.  Avoid Processed Foods- "Foods in a Box" they are packed with preservatives and artificial dyes, loaded with carbs, salt, sugars.

4.  Eat quality proteins- wild fish- salmon, cod, free range chicken, pork, scallops, lean beef, turkey

5.  Healthy snacks in between meals to avoid the "crash"...hummus with carrots, grapes, an apple with peanut butter...

6.  Follow this rule - "eat like a King for Breakfast, like a Prince for Lunch and like a Pauper for Dinner....

7  LAY off the Bread!!

8. Get up and move!!! Walk for 30 mins each day, take the stairs when you can, park a little further from the entrance to a store

9.  Everyone should see their dentist at least once a year for a cleaning and check up

10, Everyone should see their PCP once every 2 years for exam an physical- get screening tests and baselines to get ahead of disease and problems before its an emergency!

I hope everyone as a great Friday and stays safe!
Laura

when I had my physical a couple of months ago my dr said so I see you have gained some pounds over last year.  He asked if I have been exercising any and I said I play 2-3 nights of softball but then usually go out for some beers afterwards.  His response, so what exercise are you doing again?!?!?!

when I had my physical a couple of months ago my dr said so I see you have gained some pounds over last year.  He asked if I have been exercising any and I said I play 2-3 nights of softball but then usually go out for some beers afterwards.  His response, so what exercise are you doing again?!?!?!

Those beers are not helping you!! LOL....it is more difficult as we get older to lose the weight....

try to increase the cardio and do some resistance training.  It will take some work- but you can do it!!!

L

I joined a crossfit gym this summer.  Workout M-W-F.  We have great trainers which makes all of the difference. I've always exercised a decent amount but have got to the point where it is worth it for me to pay someone else to tell me what to do.  I just show up and all of the workout decisions are made for me.  Plus, correct form, warmups, and stretching are emphasized.  They push me in a way that I am no longer capable of pushing myself.  

I also make sure to get outside as much as I can with my kids and play with them.  I run with them.  Tackle them.  Wrestle with them.  Go down slides with them.  Ride bikes with them.  This can be hard at times, but I make sure to play with my kids regularly.  So many benefits of doing this. 

Eating well is tough   Sunshine has great advice above.  I do feel much better when I try to avoid eating out as much as possible.  

Get away from the screens.  We turn the TV and mobile devices off a few nights a week and figure out other things to do.  I spend more time in my garage now that I invested in all of these auto care products.  Its a great hobby.  Its better than sitting on the couch playing on my iPad and I get a lot of satisfaction from having clean shiny vehicles.  

Brian- you are right- eating out can be tough.  Food is enticing!  I try not to eat out much and leave it for that special occasion where its the experience of dining out and being taken care of more than or the convenience of getting food quick.

When dining out you can try asking for half portions or share your meal with someone at the table. - Avoid the bread!, - ask for your protein to be baked or grilled versus fried, get double vegetables or a rice instead of French fries.

these diet choices will have you feeling wonderful in just a week or two! 

Laura

I've ate like **** my whole life. 310 lbs by April of this year. I'm only 5'9. I'm long haul truck driver and gaining weight was easy when you don't get much excerise and lots of bad food choices at truck stop. My wife and I were having our first child so I decided I needed to change and set a good example for my son as I didn't want him to grow up fat like me. I weighed in at 310 lbs April 8th,2016. I completely changed my diet. Went from averaging 3000 calories a day and who knows how many carbs and sugar,to 1200 calories a day,60-100 carbs,60g of sugar or less. First 4 months no fast food or soda. That was hard. I ate at least 5-6 times a week before and drank at least 1-2 pepsi a day. I added in cardio and worked in some weight training just doing it all in my basement. As of today I've lost 100 lbs. weighed in at 210lbs. Havnt been that weight since 15 years old. Im getting my first gym membership Saturday as I need more equipment and I actually like working out. Hopefully be down to about 175-185 by spring. If any of you guys are truckers and your overweight, no excuse for it. I've used them all. I work 70-90 hours a week and found time to do it.

I've ate like **** my whole life. 310 lbs by April of this year. I'm only 5'9. I'm long haul truck driver and gaining weight was easy when you don't get much excerise and lots of bad food choices at truck stop. My wife and I were having our first child so I decided I needed to change and set a good example for my son as I didn't want him to grow up fat like me. I weighed in at 310 lbs April 8th,2016. I completely changed my diet. Went from averaging 3000 calories a day and who knows how many carbs and sugar,to 1200 calories a day,60-100 carbs,60g of sugar or less. First 4 months no fast food or soda. That was hard. I ate at least 5-6 times a week before and drank at least 1-2 pepsi a day. I added in cardio and worked in some weight training just doing it all in my basement. As of today I've lost 100 lbs. weighed in at 210lbs. Havnt been that weight since 15 years old. Im getting my first gym membership Saturday as I need more equipment and I actually like working out. Hopefully be down to about 175-185 by spring. If any of you guys are truckers and your overweight, no excuse for it. I've used them all. I work 70-90 hours a week and found time to do it.

THAT is simply FANTASTIC! Way to go!