Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cyclo Dual Head or Swirl Killer or Flex Random Orbital

slalom38

Question

19 answers to this question

​In MY opinion, of the (3) models you listed, I believe the Cyclo would serve you well.

​More money than the Swirl Killer, but will correct, polish, and can be used with accessories for other tasks as well, such as carpet cleaning, etc.

​Made in USA, but very durable, and the least vibrations from any polisher.

I have a Cyclo and a Rupes 15 and a SK mini. They are all really nice but if I had to get rid of one it would be the Cyclo. It just doesn't have the correcting power of the long throw 15mm machines. It is great for putting Sealant on because it covers a big area and small ones alike (8" forward - 4" turned sideways). But I have ran into clear coat that takes several passes with Cyclo to correct I am impatient and don't like spending that much time correcting paint.  The Cyclo is great if you don't mind doing a bunch of passes to get things done. 

I have a Cyclo and a Rupes 15 and a SK mini. They are all really nice but if I had to get rid of one it would be the Cyclo. It just doesn't have the correcting power of the long throw 15mm machines. It is great for putting Sealant on because it covers a big area and small ones alike (8" forward - 4" turned sideways). But I have ran into clear coat that takes several passes with Cyclo to correct I am impatient and don't like spending that much time correcting paint. The Cyclo is great if you don't mind doing a bunch of passes to get things done.

I agree. Of my polishers this is my least favorite even though it was my first. The Rupes correct much faster for me. When working with a partner I'll use the cyclo for finishing polish. But any heavy compound or correction goes to my Rupes 15 or mini.

The cyclo is a great machine. But I don't think it's the best.

I love my cyclo . It certainly get the job done . FYI the cyclo is a long throw polisher at 16mm . It was long throw before long throw was even mainstream . The cyclo may not be the most powerful but for your uses it will be perfect and it's easily the smoothist polisher out there . If u wanna have just one polisher imo it the best

I have the Rupes MkII 15, but would recommend you also look at the Porter Cable.  It comes with a 5.5" backing plate, but you can also add the 3" backing plate for smaller areas.  While it is not a smooth as the other polishers, it is more versatile.

Edited by mc2hill

I would have to agree that the SK is the best out there for the money. 

That said, I own a Cyclo and a Rupes Mini, and I love the combo, yes the Cyclo does not correct as fast as any of the others, but I really like how smooth it is to use. With the Mini in my arsenal I can use the same pads on both machines and keep pad stock down a bit. I did my mothers Jeep liberty last year and the cyclo handled most everything with just a bit of effort and the few nastier marks were easily handled by the mini. 

If I had to do it all over again.....I might end up with the same combo as I really like the 4in pads and the easy of use of the cyclo, plus the fact that I really like the ability to handle curves better than my PC did. 

I have a Porter Cable, Cyclo and now the Swirl Killer.  I haven't tried the swirl killer yet but in my experience, the Porter Cable offers better results for paint correction over the cyclo.  I've felt that I repeatedly went over an area with the cyclo and it never even budged on the swirls.  If it wasnt for the fact that I have the carpet brushes with it, I would have put it up for sale a while ago.  The porter cable has worked wonders for me but the vibrations just make me go nuts.  I even bought a set of anti vibration construction gloves and they helped but it still tingles the fingers.

So if the swirl killer gives me the correcting power of the PC with the no vibrations and balancing of the cyclo, then I'll be happy.  

I have a Porter Cable, Cyclo and now the Swirl Killer. I haven't tried the swirl killer yet but in my experience, the Porter Cable offers better results for paint correction over the cyclo. I've felt that I repeatedly went over an area with the cyclo and it never even budged on the swirls. If it wasnt for the fact that I have the carpet brushes with it, I would have put it up for sale a while ago. The porter cable has worked wonders for me but the vibrations just make me go nuts. I even bought a set of anti vibration construction gloves and they helped but it still tingles the fingers.

So if the swirl killer gives me the correcting power of the PC with the no vibrations and balancing of the cyclo, then I'll be happy.

smell like bs to me . The Cyclo is superior to a pc in every way except price Edited by PostalTwo

I just want to say thank you to everyone who gave input on this. I also am going to be stepping into the world of machine polishing in about a month and I was back and forth about either the two SK's or a Cyclo. This has helped to make up my mind on getting the SK's.

I have loved the Cyclo for a long time, still a great tool to use. That said, with the new line of Swirl Killer machines I expect to be selling fewer Cyclos. The SK is a great machine, at a very great price. I have some pro detailers who are using them now too, so, a great machine for novice or pro, at a good price point.

Bruce

Plural, as in Sk and SK Mini? That should be a really nice combo!

Well, I did say that and I meant it...right up until I saw a great deal on a used Cyclo in the Garage Sale Forum :wacko: . I couldn't pass it up. I'm sure I'll be happy with it and I might still pick up the SK mini since the price was good.