Customer Service 866.965.0400

Longevity of the different waxes

MikeSoFlo

Question

What is the estimated longevity of the different waxes offered by Adam's? 

For a daily driver, how long could one expect the different waxes to last before needing to reapply? I know there's a lot of factors that factor into the life expectancy of the wax on the paint but typically how long will they last? 

Americana Paste Wax -

Patriot Paste Wax - 

Ceramic Paste Wax - 

Buttery Liquid Wax - 

20 answers to this question

Those questions are all almost impossible to give a difinitive answer on because it is going to vary depending on where you park at home, at work, while just out and about. Is it a daily driver or a show car, is it a garage queen or sits outside. What is around where you work drive and live for industry how much driving do you do with it. This is just scratching the surface of the things that can effect its longevity. 

In general buttery is the shortest life span, and then the others can all vary slightly but it’s a fair jump to them from the buttery. That said the buttery is a nice product that can be regularly applied and goes on quick and easy and comes off just as easy. The others are all paste waxes and I can certainly say for patriot it easily comes right off. The Americana is usually quite easy but not as easy as the other two. Ceramic I have not used yet myself however I have heard it can require a bit more effort to remove, but certainly not impossible.

7 hours ago, pirahnah3 said:

Those questions are all almost impossible to give a difinitive answer on because it is going to vary depending on where you park at home, at work, while just out and about. Is it a daily driver or a show car, is it a garage queen or sits outside. What is around where you work drive and live for industry how much driving do you do with it. This is just scratching the surface of the things that can effect its longevity. 

In general buttery is the shortest life span, and then the others can all vary slightly but it’s a fair jump to them from the buttery. That said the buttery is a nice product that can be regularly applied and goes on quick and easy and comes off just as easy. The others are all paste waxes and I can certainly say for patriot it easily comes right off. The Americana is usually quite easy but not as easy as the other two. Ceramic I have not used yet myself however I have heard it can require a bit more effort to remove, but certainly not impossible.

Yes I understand there are a lot of variables that play into how long a wax will last but out of all the waxes that Adam's does offer, which one could potentially last the longest? 

The 4 waxes vary in make up, and price, but why choose one over the other? Let's put price to the side, why is one wax batter than another and will one outlast another? 

Buttery - carnauba blend liquid - $19.99

Americana - traditional carnauba paste - $49.99

Patriot - silica-infused carnauba paste - $99.99

Ceramic Paste - fully synthetic, 33% silica-infused paste - $99.99

48 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

If this is for a daily driver why not consider Paint Sealant?  Its about as easy to apply as wax and outlasts all off them.  Not ceramic longevity but longer than Americana.  If you like wax, put that on top of the paint sealant.

^^^ This!

If you assume we are talking about a daily driver thats outside, for all of them.  It would go like this

least amount of longevity

Buttery

American and patriot I'd think are similar, patriot might outlast a touch?

Ceramic wax

39 minutes ago, bjoeaull said:

American and patriot I'd think are similar, patriot might outlast a touch?

It's the other way around.  Americana is the longest lasting traditional wax.

Buttery is not something I would consider for a daily unless you like to wax monthly.

Let's say that my aunt has a Miata that she only drives on the weekends during the summer. She wants me to do a full detail. I am going to wash, clay mitt, polish, and wax. Would buttery wax be good for this and how often should it be reapplied? Or should I try some other kind of wax/sealant? 

What color is this hypothetical Miata?

BW will work and is easy to use, but it's not gonna give a "show car" shine like Patriot...which is hard to beat for a garage queen. BW will last about a month for a DD. So if she's not driving through bad weather and or in really hot, sunny days (which increases the surface temp of the paint and can burn off wax within hours), you could probably get by longer between applications. 

You could certainly also go the PS route which will give her months and months of protection. Then layer/maintain with HGG every few washes or so. You can also layer wax.

Whatever you use, pick up some BG and apply it for even more pop before she heads out on the road. It can be reapplied weekly without much issue at all.

7 hours ago, falcaineer said:

What color is this hypothetical Miata?

BW will work and is easy to use, but it's not gonna give a "show car" shine like Patriot...which is hard to beat for a garage queen. BW will last about a month for a DD. So if she's not driving through bad weather and or in really hot, sunny days (which increases the surface temp of the paint and can burn off wax within hours), you could probably get by longer between applications. 

You could certainly also go the PS route which will give her months and months of protection. Then layer/maintain with HGG every few washes or so. You can also layer wax.

Whatever you use, pick up some BG and apply it for even more pop before she heads out on the road. It can be reapplied weekly without much issue at all.

This Miata is black of course. The swirls are bad. I'll look at picking up some of those suggested items. Should I suggest that she get HGG and a double soft towel for when she washes it herself? Or just a double soft and have her just spray it off with water and dry it occasionally? I'll take a look at the FAQ page that you posted and watch some more videos. I have watched quite a few but I'll take a refresher. Thank you!

I think the HGG can be a little tricky personally and not something I would recommend to a "non enthusiast".

Since its a weekend summer only car I would probably go Americana if it was me.  If it was used more than that I would probably do LPS.  I am assuming the car is garaged. If not, you might want to consider other options.

If you want to recommend something for her after washing, a couple double soft towels and detail spray for drying would be good.

I would be careful with spraying it off with water and drying occasionally as its hard to get dirt off and drying without lubricity can be dangerous to the paint.

My recommendation would be apply Brilliant Glaze after you polish it, then protect it with Americana.  For a garage queen that should provide 4-6 months of protection.  

14 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

I think the HGG can be a little tricky personally and not something I would recommend to a "non enthusiast".

Since its a weekend summer only car I would probably go Americana if it was me.  If it was used more than that I would probably do LPS.  I am assuming the car is garaged. If not, you might want to consider other options.

If you want to recommend something for her after washing, a couple double soft towels and detail spray for drying would be good.

I would be careful with spraying it off with water and drying occasionally as its hard to get dirt off and drying without lubricity can be dangerous to the paint.

HUH?  Guard n Gloss is one of the easiest products to use.  Leave your car wet, spray on the G&G , and wipe off with a damp rag and wipe with a dry cloth.   I have my cars both waxed,  and every 3 washes or so, I hit it with the G&G and it still looks great.  

36 minutes ago, Rich said:

HUH?  Guard n Gloss is one of the easiest products to use.  Leave your car wet, spray on the G&G , and wipe off with a damp rag and wipe with a dry cloth.   I have my cars both waxed,  and every 3 washes or so, I hit it with the G&G and it still looks great.  

:iagree:

8 hours ago, Rich said:

Not for me. I have had issues with it streaking and so have others.

Not saying its a bad product, just not something I personally would recommend for a non enthusiast.

4 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

Not for me. I have had issues with it streaking and so have others.

Not saying its a bad product, just not something I personally would recommend for a non enthusiast.

same for me and it left some very difficult to remove chemical spots. if aunts car is black(or any color prone to high heat) HGG will require a refined application process to achieve desired results. i no longer use it as a drying agent because of this.

I don't have any issue with G&G on both of my black cars. Even in the Florida heat and humidity, I find it easy to apply and take off. I do 1 panel at a time; spray on while wet, wipe down with 1 borderless grey and then follow behind with another borderless grey. 

27 minutes ago, MikeSoFlo said:

I don't have any issue with G&G on both of my black cars. Even in the Florida heat and humidity, I find it easy to apply and take off. I do 1 panel at a time; spray on while wet, wipe down with 1 borderless grey and then follow behind with another borderless grey. 

I do the same thing 1 panel at a time . 2 borderless grey 1 wet 1 dry. I have black vehicles as well.  

My vehicles are all variations of Red from Bright Red to Cajun Red and range from 21 years old to one year old and I am strictly an amateur when it comes to detailing.  I used HGG for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with the outcome, it was very easy to use and the effect was excellent. 

Before I use any product I read the feedback from the forum members, watch the video's and hit google for insight outside of this forum.  I also tend to watch the video again the night before I use the product for the first time and again in the morning while the coffee is kicking in.  That reminds me, I really want some of the Cars and Coffee DS... I regress. 

I never get in a hurry and if I need to take a break and hit the web if something doesn't look or feel right, I most certainly do so.  This isn't to say that I have not messed up a few times, I'm still experimenting with some of the products and building my library of layering for each vehicle.  Maybe the difference is the black vehicles vs Red, I don't think I'll touch a black car until we my son-in-law returns from deployment in November and we do his 1971 Datsun 240Z.  For me, on the Red vehicles HGG is a winner and I expect it to be part of my long term regiment.