Customer Service 866.965.0400

Review - Adams UV Ceramic Coating and UV Spray Coating

The Guz

I wrote this on another forum and I am going to transfer it here.  

Products:

Adams UV Ceramic Paint Coating

Adams UV Ceramic Spray Coating

Adams Ceramic Boost

Adams UV Light

IMG_5281a.jpg.a359466f86ca4df6223aea5d9ba8954b.jpg

Short description of each product

Ceramic Boost is the maintenance product for the coatings.

SiO2 infused

Glazed Almond Scent

3-6 months protection

Can be used on paint, chrome, plastic, wheels and glass.

UV Paint Coating is new for 2019 with the UV attribute. Essentially the UV light is used to see where the coating has been applied. Adams calls it their patent pending ceramic glow technology.

9H

5+ years protection

50ml does 2 full sized vehicles

Can be used on single stage, clear coat, vinyl wraps, trim, bed liners,headlights, tonneau covers, canvas tops, floor mats, plastic trim

Temperature application 50 degrees

Cure time 12-24 hours

Max layers is 3

Can be seen with 395 UV light

Does not glow in the dark

UV Ceramic Spray Coating has been reformulated with the ceramic glow technology for 2019.

Solvent based ceramic spray coating

10-12 month durability

Can be used on paint, glass, headlights, tonneau covers, soft tops,chrome, trim, wheels, bed liners

Max layers is 3

Can be seen with 395 UV light

Does not glow in the dark

UV light is used for the coatings. It is 396 NM with 100 LED UV Blacklights. Requires 6 AA batteries.

I applied to a silver hood which is my test panel for the product. Prepped with 3D ACA finishing polish and prep wiped with Americana Global Stripper.

Application is pretty straight forward. Same technique used for any other coating.

This is one where I just spread the product and it can be seen under the light.

IMG_5257.jpg.ba148e5f35a0c77ecf4395257a165153.jpg

I divided the hood into three sections. The ceramic boost does not contain the glow technology. So it will not show any change under the light.

After pulling the tape back we can see that both the spray and paint coating react to the light. You will notice the darkening effect is more pronounced for the paint coating under the UV light.

IMG_5272a.jpg.676b562f36f28d64e4dc14501dd3237d.jpg

IMG_5274a.jpg.1fb52d20527a5d84b1fb5fe092544015.jpg

This is the transition point to the area where Ceramic Boost was applied.

IMG_5276a.jpg.4c8b2357a99f9b2d991bc13df5a7d8a2.jpg

From a distance the coated areas are clearly shown with the UV light.

IMG_5285a.jpg.5e242ec3156e6376f6acd9a055d8690b.jpg

Notice the over spray from misting onto the surface.

IMG_5286a.jpg.7877ac15ef413f2ca46114d9329b0f0d.jpg

Final thoughts on application:

From an application stand point the paint coating is pretty straightforward to use. Easy to spread out and easy to wipe off. Feels slick upon removal. It did take me a few extra passes to have even coverage of the coating. After that I understood how the product behaved at the temperature and humidity I was working with.

The spray coating is easy to work with. Simply mist the applicator and spread the product out. I misted on the panel and got a little overspray. This is always a concern and thus using an applicator is the best method to avoid over spray. It does not take long for it to flash for it to be wiped off.

The ceramic boost is very easy to work with. Simply wipe and wipe off. An easy product to maintain either of these coatings.

In terms of slickness it is ceramic boost, the spray coating and then the paint coating.

I was not sure how long the effect under the UV light stays around. But after reading more about the coating it appears that it will be visible under the UV light specked out by Adams. It will not be seen in the daylight or glow at night.

Overall it is a good way to see if the coating is applied to an area or the potential of a high spot being left behind. A good coating for anyone worried about those things especially first timers.

One thing about Adams is that their products are user friendly.

I can not comment on durability just yet. That test will come later.

It is an interesting characteristic and kudos to Adams for thinking outside the box to differentiate their coatings.

A couple application videos. Part 3 is a little long as it includes the application of the spray coating, ceramic boost and I share my final thoughts on application.

21 hours ago, RayS said:

Thank you Michael for posting the details and video's. 

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, mc2hill said:

Fantastic write up Guz!

Thanks.  Glad you enjoyed the write up.

5 hours ago, ObsessedDetailer said:

This is quite the write up! Thanks for the info! That’s awesome! I Can’t wait to use my coatings!

Thanks.  You will enjoy them.  They are nice to work with.  

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

One of the best write ups we've had on here. Excellent work.

Thanks.  

• 1 month later...

Alright I will start off with I’m a idiot. So I bought some ceramic coating and used it over the summer but I forgot to clean the top off before placing the cap on. I recently needed it again and I can’t get the thing open. I’m sure as you know it’s the press down and twist cap but the inner cap won’t twist as I think it sealed itself. Anyone got any tips on a fix?

23 hours ago, redimed said:

Alright I will start off with I’m a idiot. So I bought some ceramic coating and used it over the summer but I forgot to clean the top off before placing the cap on. I recently needed it again and I can’t get the thing open. I’m sure as you know it’s the press down and twist cap but the inner cap won’t twist as I think it sealed itself. Anyone got any tips on a fix?

You may have to use a significant amount of downward force as you twist the cap counter-clockwise, but the cap should "break" free from the threads of the bottle. If it is still giving trouble, you may want to wrap something like an old Edgeless Utility Towel around the cap and then use pliers - do not use a lot of force here, as the cap or bottle could break, which could be a real mess and potential injury with broken glass. Another option would be to see if you could carefully squeeze a bent paperclip into the underside of the cap to try to break loose the hardened coating, which may then allow the cap to spin freely and remove as you normally would.

Once the cap is free, use an old towel, paper towel, etc to carefully wipe off the top of the bottle and inside of the cap as much as possible. You want to remove as much of the hardened white coating dust off of the cap as possible. Wear gloves when doing this - some of the crystallized coating shards could be sharp, so please exercise caution!

If the cap still won't come loose, please let me know and I'll see what we can do to get a replacement out to you.

16 hours ago, Dan@Adams said:

You may have to use a significant amount of downward force as you twist the cap counter-clockwise, but the cap should "break" free from the threads of the bottle. If it is still giving trouble, you may want to wrap something like an old Edgeless Utility Towel around the cap and then use pliers - do not use a lot of force here, as the cap or bottle could break, which could be a real mess and potential injury with broken glass. Another option would be to see if you could carefully squeeze a bent paperclip into the underside of the cap to try to break loose the hardened coating, which may then allow the cap to spin freely and remove as you normally would.

Once the cap is free, use an old towel, paper towel, etc to carefully wipe off the top of the bottle and inside of the cap as much as possible. You want to remove as much of the hardened white coating dust off of the cap as possible. Wear gloves when doing this - some of the crystallized coating shards could be sharp, so please exercise caution!

If the cap still won't come loose, please let me know and I'll see what we can do to get a replacement out to you.

Thanks for the reply, currently im out of town but once I return I will give this a try. I will let you know if it works out! Thanks have a good day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I bought the uv ceramic kit with flashlight 2 years ago for an antique truck now sold. Never used and been in the garage cabinet since. Can I use it? What’s the shelf life if never opened?

Edited by Mik
Clarify