Customer Service 866.965.0400

Classic Car and Salt

Ferrari348

Question

I have a quick question. I just bought a new car to me, a 1966 Corvette. I'm having it delivered, but the truck can't get to my house because of small roads. I need to drive it a few miles.

What's the best way to get any salt and sand off the car? I probably can't use too much water because of the temp outside. Will the waterless system work for me? It won't be much grime, but I'd like to get it off if possible.

Thats what I,m Talking about:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I did get her home. It was dry enough out and rained the day before. Not much was sticking to the car. I did a waterless wash over the body, then I put her on the lift and wiped down her undercarriage. It was about 2 miles - all back roads and slow going.

Here's some pics!!!

I need a bigger garage now for sure.

What a beautiful 66. Too valuable to mess up, so I suggest hire a flat bed, most local body shops have access all the time to these.

Simply roll the Vette off the hauler and onto the flat bed and have the driver back up to your garage door and tilt the bed at the garage entrance, rolling the car right in the spot you want. From the hauler to the flat bed should not be more than 15 - 20 feet. Good Luck.

Matt,

That's a tough problem to have, having a '66 Corvette delivered. I did some research, I think the best solution is to have it delivered to my house and you can come visit it this summer.

Seriously, I'd be more worried about salt in the frame and possible long term problems. Mid years Corvettes were prone to rust in the frame kick up area. I think liberal amounts of WCW would work fine on the body. I'm still thinking about the frame. Maybe just drive real slow?

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride, we'll need pictures soon.

Bruce

Matt,

That's a tough problem to have, having a '66 Corvette delivered. I did some research, I think the best solution is to have it delivered to my house and you can come visit it this summer.

Ha! Thanks, I know the troubles I have :D

My major concern too was the frame and undercarriage. I do have a lift, so maybe I can put it on the lift and rub down every where I can get access to?

I had a 66 as my first Vette back in 68. I would be worried about the salt getting into the frame area and not being able to get it out. I assume the car is being delieved in a large semi transporter. Can you get a small enclosed trailer to your house? If so I would look into renting one and meet the transporter and switch the car to the smaller trailer for the trip home.

I'm hoping it will be dry the day it is delivered. We're just going to get a storm tonight so there goes the roads for the season.

Here's the car - it's a 66 with a 67 hood, which I like because the white stingers sets off the white interior. I have the 66 hood as well if I wanted to go back to stock:

Archived