Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leaf blower safe to dry with?

SSRaccoon

Question

ive been doing the two bucket wash like i saw the junkman do, but i havent been using adams products and been using microfiber towels from kragen (mistake?:().. i just ordered a complete 2 bucket wash kit from adams tho, Cant wait! :mail: .. but ive been drying my car just as the junkman instructed.. but im wondering, can a leaf blower cause swirl marks if too strong? i got a 2 speed 150/220 mph electric leaf blower.. i usually use it on 150 but i tried the 220 mode and cut the drying time in half but i saw a few more swirl marks than when i started :explode: .. thanks in advance..

Air will never cause swirl marks so don't stress over that. If you do use a leaf blower stick to electric. Gas blowers spit spent oil and exhaust which will settle on your car.

The reason I've never been a big fan of leaf blowers for drying vs. dedicated car dryers is the way they're designed. That big long tube on the leaf blower makes it much harder to work with around the car and the air is unfiltered.

With something like the sidekick or master blaster you get warmed (up to 60* above ambient) and filtered air and a much more manageable tool for the job.

The reason I've never been a big fan of leaf blowers for drying vs. dedicated car dryers is the way they're designed. That big long tube on the leaf blower makes it much harder to work with around the car and the air is unfiltered.

With something like the sidekick or master blaster you get warmed (up to 60* above ambient) and filtered air and a much more manageable tool for the job.

:iagree::iagree:

There was a thread on this a while ago. Someone pointed out the difference between the driers Adam's sells and a leaf blower is that a leaf blower is not filtered air. What this means is that whatever the leaf blower is sucking up, it is spitting out (dust, dirt, etc.).

There was a thread on this a while ago. Someone pointed out the difference between the driers Adam's sells and a leaf blower is that a leaf blower is not filtered air. What this means is that whatever the leaf blower is sucking up, it is spitting out (dust, dirt, etc.).

Very good point, I like my side kick but may get a master blaster. After a pooling rinse and some nice warm filtered air drying is a breeze.

The master blaster definitely wins if you can get one; I have a nice electric leaf blower and I can get the car dry in a fraction of the time with the master blaster. It's almost mandatory here in Florida because the water will dry on the car before I can get it dried on those unavoidable hot days so the faster I can work my way around the less chance of issues.

Master blaster is amazing. Just make sure you have enough juice to power that beast. When I have both switches on I always blow a fuse.

Yep, once it heats up, it will blow a 15 amp breaker every time. I'm having to get a 20 amp put in my garage.

I used to use my leaf blower before it caught on fire. I took it apart and cleaned it out with Adam's products until it was nice and clean all over, and it became my dedicated car dryer. Then my mom decided to not ask me and use it to blow some grass clippings and the thing started smoking and now it won't turn on. Long story short, I had a leaf blower and loved it, and now I don't, but I still recommend it.

I used to use my leaf blower before it caught on fire. I took it apart and cleaned it out with Adam's products until it was nice and clean all over, and it became my dedicated car dryer. Then my mom decided to not ask me and use it to blow some grass clippings and the thing started smoking and now it won't turn on. Long story short, I had a leaf blower and loved it, and now I don't, but I still recommend it.

It may be time to invest in a Master Blaster or at least a Side Kick.

From my own experience, I use an electric leaf blower (http://www.thegoodgears.com/Leaf-Blower/) because the gas blowers tend to spit oil out of the blower section. I use this method for every car I perform a proper wash on and it's the safest possible drying method available. Yes it's safe.

Edited by MatthewHopkins

I use my electric leaf blower.......works like a charm, however I do have a hand held air blower from another auto detail vendor that is easier to use. 

Edited by Geebee

Questions for those using leaf blowers:

What type blower (corded electric, battery, gas hand-held, gas backpack :o)are you using ?

Do you feel it has enough air speed and air volume to quickly dry the entire vehicle? 

I have both an electric (battery powered) leaf blower, and a more powerful gas one. Both are for yard work only.

After using both of them today to get the leaves cleaned up, I found that when they are used, there is typically a cloud of dust being kicked up, especially with the gas one, when blowing out the planter beds and clearing off the driveway and sidewalk.  All that dust, dirt, leaves, and other crud gets sucked right into the blower, and back out the nozzle.  And this is why I would never aim one at the paint on my truck.  Any bit of dirt, sand or other grit on the blower fan, or in the nozzle, that gets knocked loose and sent on a 200mph trajectory into the paint is a bad thing.

While people do use leaf blowers, and may not see an immediate issue, in my opinion it is just not worth the risk.  Especially when you are going to go back with a towel and finish the drying.  Any dirt blown onto the paint, that then gets picked up by the towel, is going to scratch.  It may not be a huge scratch, and not immediately noticeable, but over time these small micro scratches are likely to impact the appearance of the paint.

I suppose you could only use the leaf blower on the car, and not in the yard, to keep it clean, but at that point you would be better off with the Sidekick Blaster.  It has a filter to keep the air clean, and also heats the air.  Add a short hose, and it is also easier to use to get the water out of all the cracks and crevices, something that is much harder to do with a leaf blower.

20170326_160529.jpg

Ok ok ok. I will bite. I love Adams and will buy just about anything they make. I have been using an electric leaf blower since 1999.  It inly gets used for car drying, never anything else. I can see everyone's point about it kicking up dust but I really have never had any issues. After reading this thread I am interested/intrigued with sidekick. Price is good but I have a question. My leaf blower covers a wide area, does the sidekick cover a wide area? It seems like it would cover a smaller area thus taking it longer to dry larger areas. I have to agree using the leaf blower is a pain since it is so big and bulky. Any info would be great.