Customer Service 866.965.0400

CA Car Duster...?

PT3

Question

Okay guys.... I am sure there will be some passionate opinions here.

I personally have been using one for years. Nothing drives me crazier than a clean car with a layer of dust on it. ESPECIALLY if I have to look over a layer of dust on my hood. Drives me INSANE.

So, I am sure the CA duster introduces some level of damage to the finish. But for me, it's TOTALLY worth it.

When I do use it, I do my best to be as light as possible with it. And historically I keep a nice coat of detail spray (now LSP, plus DS) that the CA duster glides over the surface smoothly and easily removes the dust.

So, I was just dusting my M5 (yes after 12am here) and wondered what others here thought about it.

Discuss.......

If you like it, use it Phil!  We sell a bunch of Paint Correcting Polish to people who like to use the CA Duster.  So by all means, dust on!!!

Nice! I like your thought process! The more I dust, the more paint correcting I'll need to do! Lol.

; )

Some people swear by it.  I can't tell you how many fine scratches I've seen on dark colored cars from them, and if they're on dark cars they're on the light ones too but you just don't notice them.  One thing I've heard in using them is to never wash them. They apparently lose their ability to attract dust the more you wash them.

But like Adam said...........use on........and keep paint correcting.   :cheers:

I wouldn't use it.  I have one that's been collecting dust for years now.  It's best to rinseless wash for moderate to heavy dust of it's light dust waterless wash or detail spray.  Better to have less work for you when you are correcting. 

Let's see, the California Duster? A tool that's made up of cotton strands that on their own would scratch. But, they've been soaked in paraffin wax so they'll collect the dust better and drag the dust over your surface while it's attached to the cotton strands?

Don't do it!

Rinseless Wash, Waterless Wash, or Detail Spray should be your dust removing tools. Those along with one of Adam's Microfiber towels or Waterless Wash towels. No dust and much less chance of scratching.

Phil, no offense,

But when I saw the title of this thread why did I know it was your post?  Lmao

Adam has a good point, keep using it, you'll be ordering a ton of product from him.

Since I live by the credo of "its all about lubrication" in preventing scratches and swirls, isn't it more therapeutic to give a few spritzes per panel of your dust/dirt removal tool of choice, and a pass with an ultra soft Single or Double soft towel?  If its extremely light, use Detail Spray.  If the dust is a bit heavier, use diluted Rinseless at 16:1, and if you're basically waterless washing after a day on the road, use a little more spray of diluted Rinseless at a higher dilution of 8:1 or so.  The Rinseless does encapsulate the dirt and fine dust a bit better, Detail Spray is for short drive wipedowns or after a wash in my opinion, or after you've already removed the dirt via Rinseless and want to add some gloss.

As a detailer its something I can't recommend and never used.  Did you hit the paint with a swirl finder after you "dusted it" to see what it looks like?

While you are at it, throw out your California Water Blade as I know that's probably next question LOL

All in good fun and my .02...

A car duster is twisted wool yarn, dipped in paraffin wax. Thats it. You know what else uses that same technology? The mops they use to clean the hardwood floors of indoor basketball courts - do you want to treat the delicate paint of your car the same way they treat a floor people run, slide, and sweat on? The first use or 2 you won't notice much damage, the paraffin actually provides a level of protection from the yarn strands, but the trouble starts when the wax begins to hold dirt. They market many of these dusters with the line:

"The dirtier it gets the better it works!"

Its might be true in terms of picking up dust, but its not true in terms of preventing damage. The wax holds onto virtually every spec of dust and dirt it comes into contact with, so after about 10 wipe downs you're now wiping 10 layers worth of dust over your finish. Would you use a dirty floor mop to clean your car? Probably not. Well, a duster is essentially the same thing.

So you can argue - what if I clean it? - that will certainly remove the dust/dirt buildup, but it also takes the wax with it, leaving you with dry wool fibers, just as likely to cause swirls and scratches as the dirty wax covered yarn. Dry removal is never going to be a good idea if you're trying to maintain a swirl free finish.

Products like Waterless Wash and Rinseless Wash are designed specifically to encapsulate, lubricate, and remove those little particles without causing damage. Wet removal will always be safer than a duster. Ultimately its your car to maintain and go with what suits you best, but if you look at the big picture -

Is it easier to use a WET removal process that takes a little more time and reduce the amount of correction you need to do over a year to only a few times, or would you prefer to save a few minutes each day with a DRY duster only to have to spend 8 hours to fix the damage multiple times a year?

Nice! I like your thought process! The more I dust, the more paint correcting I'll need to do! Lol.

; )

A good friend who as run a very successful detailing business in SoCal for decades always says:

"I absolutely love Car Dusters. They are a guarantee that I will always have a schedule packed full of cars owned by people who would rather pay me $500 or more to fix their paint than spend a few minutes cleaning their cars themselves properly. Car Dusters are my job security."

One of the first things I discovered a couple of years ago when I decided to learn how to correctly care for the exterior of a vehicle was that California dusters are one of the worst things you can do to your paint. I had one. Ended up giving it to my wife to dust our living room with. B)

Ok, ok... I hear you guys! I KNEW this would be the response. Lol. I know how to stir the pot, don't i!!

But here's the challenge... I am in a suit a lot of the time during the week going to meetings. I can't be waterless washing or detail spraying in my suit... ESPECIALLY in the summer. I sweat in the shower! Lol

I'll keep using... But only in a pinch.

Phil, no offense,

But when I saw the title of this thread why did I know it was your post?  Lmao

Adam has a good point, keep using it, you'll be ordering a ton of product from him.

Since I live by the credo of "its all about lubrication" in preventing scratches and swirls, isn't it more therapeutic to give a few spritzes per panel of your dust/dirt removal tool of choice, and a pass with an ultra soft Single or Double soft towel?  If its extremely light, use Detail Spray.  If the dust is a bit heavier, use diluted Rinseless at 16:1, and if you're basically waterless washing after a day on the road, use a little more spray of diluted Rinseless at a higher dilution of 8:1 or so.  The Rinseless does encapsulate the dirt and fine dust a bit better, Detail Spray is for short drive wipedowns or after a wash in my opinion, or after you've already removed the dirt via Rinseless and want to add some gloss.

As a detailer its something I can't recommend and never used.  Did you hit the paint with a swirl finder after you "dusted it" to see what it looks like?

While you are at it, throw out your California Water Blade as I know that's probably next question LOL

All in good fun and my .02...

Lol! I love it! I appreciate what you're saying. And I get it. The duster is just super easy to use when I'm running out the door in my suit and can't stand looking at the dust over my hood. I'd rather fix the swirls later when I have time... Or pay someone to fix them.

And NO... The water blade is where I draw the line!! Lol.

I get it that it's super easy to use, but it's kinda like in winter. It's super easy to get that quick satisfaction taking the F10 to the car wash too isn't it?

It's one of those things you'll learn in time, I totally get it but at the same time I learned I can't have my ride 100% looking, 100% of the time. There are days it's gonna have some light dust and as much as I'd like to have a "quick fix" I know it's safer to just wait to the next day and do a proper rinseless or traditional wash when I have the time.

"Do it right or do it twice" trust me if you're running around in a suit I'm sure your partners and customers aren't worried about a light coat of dust on the M5.

Are you applying LPS or Quick Sealant nowadays or are you using traditional waxes? Polymer sealants are MUCH more anti dust than traditional waxes.

"Do it right or do it twice" trust me if you're running around in a suit I'm sure your partners and customers aren't worried about a light coat of dust on the M5.

I agree.  Your co-workers could probably care less.  If it was me I would rinseless in the morning.  You can even do it when you get home from work if you are super OCD.  Just remember the more you touch the paint, there is the chance of swirls.   

IYou are still a little new and right now you are on a detailing high.  In time you will learn. 

Typically any quick fix is going to result in long or more frequent polishing.

I'd rather spend more time protecting my paint than fixing it. Just from the point that it's easier and in the long run takes less time.

I agree.