Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clear coat on c5 soft hard or medium

redlust

Question

11 answers to this question

I had a black 02 and the clear was fairly hard.  I was able to maintain it just with Revive and Brilliant Glaze. Never used a machine on it, but then again, it was pretty much a garage queen and weekend driver. No track time.  Had it for 12 years and it looked nearly showroom new when I traded it in.

Z.jpg

Yep, nearly every C5 and C6 Corvette I have worked on have had hard to very hard clear coat, other than one Mag Red C5 that was a repaint from a wreck. Our blue Compound with a Microfiber Cutting Pad followed up with a White Foam Pad and our white Polish will get it looking great - you may need to use a Blue Foam Pad with Compound as a middle step, but on such a bright color like Torch Red, that may not be necessary. You can find the Compound & Polish Combo HERE if you are looking to purchase it.

Along the same topic, I detailed a centennial edition Z06 in Carbon Flash Metallic about 3 years ago now - that was one of the more challenging vehicles I've ever machine polished! Most of the C7's I've worked on have been more forgiving, and seem to have clear coat in the soft to medium range. I haven't had a chance to polish a C8 yet - @BRZN, myself, and a few others cleaned several C8's using Waterless Wash and Detail Spray at Carlisle and the National Corvette Museum last summer. We used a clay bar on two of them, but unfortunately there wasn't enough time to get a machine polisher out to see how they correct. One of our VP's just recently purchased a C8 in red, so I'll see if he will let me work on it whenever I'm allowed to travel out to Colorado again. Hopefully there will be a few C8's at Carlisle later this summer for us to work on too 🙂

13 minutes ago, Dan@Adams said:

One of our VP's just recently purchased a C8 in red, so I'll see if he will let me work on it whenever I'm allowed to travel out to Colorado again.

Not if I get to it first, Dan! Or maybe we'll just tag team on it. 😁