Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailed: 2013 Ford Focus ST (bye bye Veloster)

The Ryan

Yup... BYE BYE VELOSTER! :D

Say hello to my new 2013 Ford Focus ST(2), in Race Red:

STDirty.jpg

First off before I get to fun stuff, and to set the record straight about the Veloster. Its really not a terrible car, unless your a car nut. For anyone else that just needs a car to get from here to there in a fair amount of style, and with excellent MPG's it really isn't too bad of a ride... However with that said Emily and I have a new bundle of joy due in February.. I started looking for a FUN TO DRIVE 4 Door car. After much research, and driving everything in its class (MazdaSpeed3, VW GTI, WRX, Ect.) and a few true sedans (Audi A4, BMW 328i, 2013 Fusion, Cadillac ATS) I found a nice balance of Sport, Practicality, and Price within the Ford Focus ST (and I really wanted back into a American Car).

This thing is called a Focus but to be honest once you get inside it; it feels like a straight up race/rally car. With a 6 speed gear box, Recaro leather trimmed seats, polished pedals, and its 252HP 270lbs torque power plant; its officially a FUN car. This thing is a total sleeper in my eyes, 0-60 comes at a quick 5.9 seconds and well I'm just gunna say it... This car IS more fun than my 2010 Camaro.

On to the fun stuff, the detailing!

I started this morning with a few shots of the exterior:

STFrontdirty.jpg

DirtyDoor.jpg

STRearDirty.jpg

DirtyExhaust.jpg

Dirtybumper.jpg

Some grease spots caked into the paint:

DirtyGrease.jpg

Very heavy brake dust off the large rotors and pads (after only 3 days of driving, its reminding me of the Camaro :D):

Dirtywheels.jpg

DirtyWheels2.jpg

DirtyRearWheel.jpg

It was time to bring in the Adam's Arsenal to tackle the new car prep ahead of me:

AdamsArsenal.jpg

AdamsArsenal2.jpg

AdamsArsenal3.jpg

I started out with a APC foam down of the tires:

WheelsAPC.jpg

WheelsTires1.jpg

WheelsTires2.jpg

WheelsTires3.jpg

Then I primed Adam's Fender/Tire brush with a few pumps of APC and went to town on the rubber and fender wells:

WheelsAPCBrush.jpg

WheelsAPCBrush1.jpg

WheelsFenderBrush.jpg

After getting all the new gunk off the Goodyear Eagle F1's I moved on to the wheels and started with a foam down of Adam's Green Wheel Cleaner:

WheelsGWC.jpg

WheelsGWCapplied.jpg

After the foam bath, I cleaned the wheel barrels with Adam's Turbo Stick:

WheelsGWCTurboStick.jpg

WheelsTurboStickinuse.jpg

Today I thanked God for the invention of Adam's Wheel Woolies! The wheels have very tight corners and I would not have been able to clean them without them:

WheelsWoolie.jpg

WheelsWoolie1USE.jpg

I then used Adam's Lug nut brush and finished them off with Adam's Boars Hair brush:

WheelsLugBrush.jpg

And a final rinse with Adam's Fire Hose nozzle and the extra hardware:

DSC_0710.jpg

WheelsRinse.jpg

Wheelsrinsedclean.jpg

Time to get the bucket and foam gun ready for some heavy use:

WashFoamGun.jpg

WashBucketandsoap.jpg

Washtwobucketmethod.jpg

I rinsed the car off to do some product testing comparisons then moved along to the foaming! The fun stuff... I love foaming my cars down:

WashFoamGun1.jpg

WashFoamGun2.jpg

Washfoamgun3.jpg

I then used Adam's Lug Nut brush to clean the honeycomb grille and exterior plastic louvers:

WashLugBrush.jpg

WashLugBrush2.jpg

WashLugBrush3.jpg

On to a full blown hand job done with Adam's Merino Wool wash mitt:

WashMerinoWool.jpg

This brand new car couldn't need a clay job could it? Well after its long journey from Michigan, it did, BADLY:

ClayBar.jpg

A brand new clay bar was split up and then flattened out on the windshiled with some Detail Spray:

ClayBarNew.jpg

ClayBarflattening.jpg

This is actually the worst I have seen a brand new car!

ClayBarJustthehood.jpg

ClayBarjusttheroof.jpg

DSC_0735.jpg

ClayBarrearend.jpg

I gave the car another rinse, then it was on to the pooling method to knock off as much excess water as possible:

FinalrinsePooling.jpg

FinalRinsePooling2.jpg

DSC_0743.jpg

I then pulled my new sleeper into the garage, where it received a forced air treatment via Adam's Metro Blaster Sidekick:

DryMetroblaster.jpg

DryMetroblaster1.jpg

DryMetroblaster2.jpg

Another must have for this car's honeycomb grille:

DryMetroblasterGrille.jpg

I then moved on to a quick drying method via Adam's Great White Microfiber, and some Detail Spray:

DryGreatWhiteandDetailSpray.jpg

I gave the door jambs a DS wipedown with a Adam's Multi-Purpose Microfiber:

DryMultipurposeDoorjambs.jpg

At last! Washing was complete, it was time for a paint inspection as I was sure thing needed a once over with a polisher since I was sure a few kids with dirty rags had washed it at the dealership before I swooped it up:

Paintinspection-lights.jpg

Paintinspection.jpg

Paintinspection1.jpg

DSC_0753.jpg

NO FREAKING SWIRLS!! Hallelujah !! And this ladies and gentlemen has NEVER happened to me, but its exactly why when you take delivery of your new ride, you NEVER let them "Detail" it! I did find a few scuffs, a scratch in the rear Ford emblem, and crazy swirled plastic pillar pieces though:

PaintinspectionScratchhood.jpg

PaintinspectionPillars.jpg

Paintinspectionscratchford.jpg

I proceeded to polish the spot areas with Adam's 4" spot pads via a 18v Dewalt drill [Disclaimer, please don't polish like this unless you're familiar with rotary polishing, this can and will lead to a strikethrough if you don't do it correctly, I recommend using the 4" pads a PC 7424XP] I used a light polish as this was merely a scuff, white pad and Adam's Fine Machine Polish (love that stuff!):

Polishinghood.jpg

Polishinghood1.jpg

Much better:

Polishinghood2.jpg

Ford Emblem, I used a more aggressive pad and polish as this was a full blown scratch, not just a scuff:

Paintinspectionscratchford.jpg

PolishingEmblem.jpg

Finished with Fine Machine Polish on the white pad:

Polishingemblem2.jpg

Presto, like it never happened:

PolishingEmblem3.jpg

Side pillars were treated only with Fine Machine Polish and a white pad:

PolishingPilars.jpg

Viola!

PolishingPilars2.jpg

I went on thinking about how dumb the emblem placement was in the rear of the car. The "Focus" was low and in the driver side corner, and the ST was high and in the passenger corner:

STRearDirty2.jpg

The Focus had to go, I grabbed some fishing line for a fishing pole I don't own, and took it off with one quick swipe:

Emblemremoval.jpg

Emblemremoval1.jpg

Emblemremoval2.jpg

I then used a mild adhesive remover (clear coat friendly) and removed the rest of the adhesive:

DSC_0764.jpg

Much better, now no one will know its a Focus!

EmblemRemoval4.jpg

Moving along to the trim, I was actually surprised how dry and nasty looking the exterior rubber was on this car:

DryRubber1.jpg

DryRubber2.jpg

DryRubber3.jpg

DryRubber4.jpg

Have no fear, Adam's Super V.R.T to the rescue, here's a nice 50/50:

DryRubber5050.jpg

After treating the rest of the trim I knocked down the excess product with a Single Soft Microfiber towel:

DryRubberknockdown.jpg

DryRubberknockdown-1.jpg

Sooo much better:

DryRubberTreated.jpg

DryRubbertreated2.jpg

DryRubberTreated3.jpg

The front and rear louvers were treated with Adam's In & Out spray:

PlasticsIOS.jpg

PlasticsGrilleIOS.jpg

PlasticsRearIOS.jpg

Moving along to the heart of this little rascal, the Ford 2.0L "EcoBoost" turbocharged engine bay, it was pretty filthy for a new car:

EngineBayDirty.jpg

EngineBayDirty1.jpg

EngineBayDirty2.jpg

I wiped down the engine compartment with a black multi purpose towel and Adam's detail spray:

EngineBayDSWipedown.jpg

TURBO!:

DSC_0794.jpg

Back to the wipedown:

EngineBayWipeddown.jpg

I treated the plastics with a helping of Super VRT, another 50/50:

EngineBayVRT5050.jpg

The finished product:

EngineBayComplete.jpg

EngineBayComplete1.jpg

EngineBaycomplete2.jpg

EngineBayComplete3.jpg

EngineBayComplete4.jpg

I then moved on to the interior, I didn't let them remove some of the interior plastics on deliver as I wanted to remove them myself:

InteriorDirty1.jpg

InteriorDirty2.jpg

I love these Recaro leather trimmed seats:

InteriorDirty3.jpg

InteriorDirty5.jpg

Back to the interior:

InteriorDirty4.jpg

InteriorDirtyTouchScreen.jpg

InteriorDirty6.jpg

InteriorDirty7.jpg

I vacuumed it all up and moved on to a generous helping of Adams Leather and Interior Conditioner:

InteriorLIC.jpg

Here's a nice 50/50 of the treated leather:

InteriorLIC5050.jpg

Back to the treatment:

InteriorComplete2.jpg

InteriorComplete1.jpg

InteriorComplete.jpg

I wiped the fingerprints off the center display via a multi purpose towel and some Adam's Glass Cleaner:

InteriorScreenCleaning.jpg

I then knocked down the excess leather and interior conditioner with a multi purpose towel:

InteriorKnockdown.jpg

I cleaned the interior glass with Adam's glass cleaner as my 2 year old Claire watched Daddy "clean his new car"

InteriorGlassCleaner.jpg

All done with the interior:

InteriorcompleteFINAL.jpg

I then moved on to work on the exterior glass, all exterior glass got a helping of Adam's Glass Sealant:

GlassSealant.jpg

GlassSealant1.jpg

While the Glass sealant was curing I decided I wanted a mix of excellent protection for the paint, and a OMG thats RED look, so I started the exterior with a coat of Adam's Quick Sealant:

Sealant.jpg

I also treated the brake dust monsters with Adam's Quick Sealant:

SealantWheels.jpg

I went back and removed the Glass Sealant with a Adam's Glass Towel, and some more Glass Cleaner while the Quick Sealant on the paint cured (this really wasn't necessary to let the Sealant cure as AQS is generally ready for removal in minutes):

GlassSealantRemoval.jpg

I love Adam's Quick Sealant, even when its applied you don't know its there:

Sealantapplied.jpg

I buffed off the Quick Sealant via a Adam's Double Soft microfiber towel:

SealantRemoval.jpg

On to the wax! A coat of Adam's Americana was applied over the Sealant to give it that melt your face off shine:

Americana.jpg

AmericanaApplied.jpg

AmericanaApplied1.jpg

After buffing off the fresh coat of Americana, I treated the Goodyear Eagle F1's to a helping of Adam's Super VRT:

TiresVRT.jpg

And a 50/50:

TiresVRT5050.jpg

At last, my new Race Red ST had earned it's badge of honor:

AdamsStickerapplied.jpg

AdamsStickerapplied2.jpg

I was done!

Alldone.jpg

I pulled it down the street across from a park to take a few beauty shots:

Alldone1.jpg

Alldone2.jpg

Alldone3.jpg

Alldone4.jpg

Alldone5.jpg

Alldone6.jpg

Then I found a little more rural spot:

Alldone7.jpg

Alldone8.jpg

Alldone9.jpg

Alldone10.jpg

Alldone11.jpg

Alldone12.jpg

Alldone13.jpg

alldone14.jpg

Alldone15.jpg

alldone16.jpg

alldone17.jpg

alldone18.jpg

alldone19.jpg

And of course, some Von Kleisting:

alldone20.jpg

Hope it was a good read, I know I'm enjoying a Ford for the first time in my life!

Edited by The Ryan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. That Focus looks amazing. I actually like it. Is it front wheel drive? What size motor and whats the stock HP with that turbo? Ford has stepped it up a notch with this new Focus. Just imagine with with full turbo back exhaust, CAI, and a tune. 100 more HP most likely lol.

For a Focus, it's a pretty good looking car.

I love the new ATS's but I don't love the price tag that goes along with them for only a 4 cyl.

And I know you were just messing around when you said a FWD hatchback is more fun than a RWD sport/muscle car.....RIGHT?! Lol.

Nice work and write-up Ryan!

And thanks for doing my 'leg work' for me! I have been looking at that same group of cars and really like the looks of the Focus. Sounds like you actually like the paint on this one! :D

Very nice and complete write-up - very much enjoy the sequence of pictures! I'm sure you drove very slowly on the dirt road for your more rural pictures :)

Also, please tell me that dirtied-up clay is from just claying the windows and not from claying the paint of a new car. I mean, I know that you should clay after gettting it from the dealership, but damn....

Nice job!:thumbsup: I can't believe the clay was so dirty on a new car! Let that be a lesson to the rest of us.

Also, while I'm sure we all appreciate the pics, what were you thinking driving on a dirt road immediately after doing all that work?!:willy:

(P.S. Way to rep with the Adam's plate and decal. Now you're obligated to keep it up to those standards!)

Edited by Redbeard