Customer Service 866.965.0400

What's the worst that can happen: Clay Bar

shrktank

Question

24 answers to this question

There's nothing to claying. It's about as simple as you can get. If you don't have detail spray, you can use soap and water, just be sure to keep your area well lubricated. And like Tim said.......DON'T DROP IT!

Also - it kinda starts to fall apart.

I know a lot of guys here clay multiple cars and reuse the clay.  I just have one car I care for and toss the piece of clay after I use it.  Since I only clay once or twice a year it's better for me.

A little tip I've been using forever...fill your clay tub with HOT water, the clay will be like butter and much more pliable around body lines, and also helps with the needing and folding.

Like others have stated, pretty straight forward process.  My son helps me clay vehicles sometimes, just don't drop it. 

Edited by 07RS4

A little tip I've been using forever...fill your clay tub with HOT water, the clay will be like butter and much more pliable around body lines, and also helps with the needing and folding.

Interesting tip.  Thanks!

Claying just feels good once it's done.  If you do the baggie test before and after and can notice the difference, it's really worth it. 

Claying is like exfoliating for your paint, most important step before polishing or sealing but often gets rushed or overlooked.

Take your time, worst thing that happens is not enough lube and you have some light marring which will come out with a light polish anyway.

The DUMBEST THING you can do is drop it and say "looks fine" and reuse on your paint.  If you drop, throw it out, no questions asked.

How long have you guys had your clay bar until you had to replace it due to normal wear and tear? Also, how are you guys storing it? I just put mine in a zip lock bag. Good idea?

How long have you guys had your clay bar until you had to replace it due to normal wear and tear? Also, how are you guys storing it? I just put mine in a zip lock bag. Good idea?

How long it lasts depends on how contaminated the cars you are working on are.  If the clay becomes so dirty that you can't find a clean spot after kneading it, it is time for a new piece.  Also, if the clay becomes really dry and breaks apart when you stretch it, you likely need a new piece.

I store mine in the container it comes it with one mist of detail spray.

Edited by SYMAWD

Do an area and then baggie test it.  I did my entire car the first time and did a good job.  The baggie test said differently.  The second time I tested each section after doing it and had no problems.  You have to put some pressure on it.   

Some on here do multiple cars with one clay bar.  I use about 2/3 of one for one car.  

Use enough lubricant and throw away any you drop. 

Edited by Feets31

I've been storing it in a plastic Baggie for 10 years now no mildew. Squeeze most air out, and mist it with detail spray so it doesn't dry out.

I also keep it in the plastic tub the old Adams clay came in for a double seal. You replace it when it's visually dirty, no necessary time frame for wear and tear lol it's not brakes.

I only have one car that I care for so my experience may not be typical but I think it is silly to save used clay.  I break off enough to clay the car and store the unused clay, of course.  But the used clay gets tossed after the car is finished.

Saving it to reuse later seems a bit "Penny wise, pound foolish" to me.

If I was doing multiple cars I might have a different opinion.

I'm the same way, if I clay glass I just break a big enough piece to do it then toss it, ton of contaminants on glass.  I usually will clay my car and my wife's car (regularly clayed so well maintained) twice a year, usually whatever piece I use after doing both cars gets tossed.  I would use a piece about 75g or so for both cars, so in the Adam's 200g kit, I'd use 75g once on each car, and a 50 g piece once, maybe twice on glass.  One Adam's clay bar kit gets me through about year and a half of claying.

The worst thing that can happen is you don't use enough lubrication and you mar your paint. Or, you drop the clay bar on the ground, it picks up stuff that scratches your paint because you didn't throw it out.

For the love of god if you drop it on the ground throw it away!!!! Pet Peeve!