Customer Service 866.965.0400

Sell Me

GratefulDiver

Question

There are a few Adams products I really like, the waterless car wash being the biggest. From there it’s the interior detailing products mostly. Other than that I’m a Zanios guy. I think the polish (Z5 followed by the Z2) are incredible products and I always detail with Z8. When I go to car shows I get nothing but praise about the way my paint looks and shines and I typically get very high point from the judges. I know it’s a process to use their polish with the additive and all but I actually enjoy hanging out in the garage rubbing on my baby (that sounds a little strange lol) 

I know Zanio's polish isn’t really a "polish" because it doesn’t really cut; it’s more of a liquid wax. At least that’s my take on it. I never used a traditional paste wax on my car and always considered a paste suited for more of an everyday driver then a show car or toy. I know this is the Adams forum and I expect you to all back there product 100% BUT I’d like to know why. Real world experience not because thats what my buddies buddy uses, or I had swirls with Zanio (if you had swirls you did something wrong, sorry) or just other silly reasons that hold no merit. I’m open to trying new things but again just want to know why. 

Is my take on paste wax false on some level and a paste wax vs liquid polish the same thing? Is one better than the other for certain applications? Let’s hear what you have to say. Again I’m open to new things and am asking these questions because I want the best finish I can have for my GTO.  I hope this doesn’t come off neg as that’s not my intent, I truly want to know what’s best. Thanks

Below are a couple of pics, one from a car show and one from a photo shoot when my car was in Sear craftsman calendar

post-11684-0-90449000-1395340668_thumb.jpg

post-11684-0-33874400-1395340695_thumb.jpg

Zaino's a GREAT product and I'm sure Adam himself would tell you that.  What sells me over Z and others is the fact that Adams is easy to understand, works as stated, and offers a 110% guarantee!  They also don't have 14 products that do basically the same thing! Sure, they have 4-5 LSP's, but that's pretty common.  

I would recommend you buy a couple of products and test them out.  110% guarantee means they'll pay you to take them back!  

Also, polish is NOT an LSP (last stage product) like a "wax" or "sealant" is, and in NO way does polish protect your paint.  Think of wax or sealant as a ziploc bag for your paint, and polish as a VERY VERY fine sand paper.  One protects it, while the other removes an ever so slight amount of it.  Now, there are polishes like Adams Revive that is more of a paint cleaner than a polish as it doesn't remove any paint, only what's stuck to it. 

Polishes are meant to remove VERY slight amounts of paint to leave behind flawless swirl free paint. 

Your car, fully corrected, a layer of brilliant glaze topped with Americana or better yet Patriot wax would POP your eyeballs out!  

All of us here on the forum always back Adams for a few reasons.  Their customer service is absolutely amazing and are always willing to help and put the customer first, their products are extremely easy to use and produce amazing results, and they are backed by a 110% guarantee so if you don't like the product then you can send it back no questions asked and get a little extra for the trouble.

Personally I have just started using Adams products and I use them for all of the reasons I just said plus the fact that they have one product for each job and are not like some companies who make things confusing by putting out 4 or so products for the same thing.  In my opinion that is confusing and makes me wonder about the quality of the product if it takes them so many products to get one job done.  Another reason why I stay with Adams is because of this forum.  People are always willing to help out with any issues you have and are always willing to share their input on things.  Really the products will sell themselves once you try them and everything else is just a bonus, that is how I look at it.

As for your question about the wax, if I recall correctly the paste wax will last longer then liquid wax will but I could be wrong at that so anyone can correct me if I am wrong!

As for your question about the wax, if I recall correctly the paste wax will last longer then liquid wax will but I could be wrong at that so anyone can correct me if I am wrong!

No, you're right.  When it comes to carnuba waxes, the paste will most commonly last longer and give better visual results over a liquid.  Where Adams buttery (liquid) wax shines is its ease of removal and the fact that you can apply it in direct sunlight.  

If you want Daily Driver protection, ALWAYS go with a sealant.  I like a base of sealant on clean unprotected paint, topped with either Patriot or with BG and then Patriot. 

I was also nothing but a Z guy but I got tired of the price, & mixing.  I was all set to order more Z and my wife challenged me to try something else, then I found Adams last month or so.

Out came the credit card and I tried about 200.00 worth of stuff.  Did I think all of it was the best I have ever used, no.  I did have a few items that I was very impressed with and will continue to use.

No company makes all of the best products all of the time.  Z6 and Z8 are still number 1 detail sprays but the Adams detail spray and towel was just fantastic to the vehicles with.

Adams has #1 customer service.  I've not experienced better.  Try something different, besides you like shining the vehicle anyway.  :)

I don't have much to add to the pro-Adam's talk other than to say the whole adams process is basically "remove fine scratches and swirls" in 2 steps then "Add protection and shine" in 2 or 3 more steps. It's all designed to be easy to use, you can do typical car in a day, and it's a lot less work and cost than the multi-step Zaino process (which admittedly produces great results.). 

Oh, and I love that car of yours. Details on it?  :cheers:

I, too, started out as a "Z" user.  I actually got my shipment of products from ZAINO before my car was delivered in '09. I used them A LOT for a couple of years and my car always looked GREAT!  I have to admit that I was always a little confused as to what the "Z" polish actually did but I just chalked that up to being a NEWBIE.

One day I stumbled across a JUNKMAN vid on the web and he was talking about "paint correction" and using a hand-held polisher.  At first I didn't think it was something I needed/wanted but happened to look at my car's paint in extremely bright sunlight and saw the tell-tale signs of swirls.  I never really noticed them before and I'm quite certain few others ever did but it bugged me that I wasn't getting the info or products from ZAINO that would keep this from happening or correct it after it had.

So, following the Junkman's advice I checked out Adam's website and saw all of these videos that SHOWED ME EXACTLY how to care for my car's paint from washing to waxing and all the stuff in between.  I had no idea about 2 bucket wash, grit guards, machine polishing, sealant/glaze/wax, tire/rubber/vinyl cleaning and dressing, glass sealant but I was well on my way after watching the videos a few dozen times.

Now my car STILL looks fantastic (it'll be 5 years old in October) and I can get pretty much everything I need from Adam's along with (and this CANNOT be overstated) expert advise from Adam's reps, Adam's users and sometimes even Adam himself.

As far as the products themselves - everything is marketed pretty clearly by Adam's. Polishes are polishes.  Sealants are sealants.  Waxes are waxes.  Cleaners are cleaners.  They tell you EXACTLY how to use each product to get the best shine and protection on your ride.

Oh, and trust me.  You will STILL be doing a lot of rubbing on your car.

From your post, it seems like you are a little confused between polish and wax.  At the end of the day, polishes are there to remove defects from paint such as swirl marks, light scratches, oxidation, water spots, etc, and also provide a level of shine to the paint when finished.   Waxes are there to protect what you just did as most polishes don't have wax in them.  Sure, some companies sell a "cleaner wax" which kind of confuses both products.  I always tell people if they want some sort of paint cleaner, don't use a cleaner wax, but Revive Hand Polish.

Most of the time, polishes like Revive will not have grit in them (no corrective properties), but do provide great cleaning and shine qualities that allow you then to wax it when you are finished.

Traditionally, Paste Waxes will last longer than a liquid wax.  Paste is hard on it's own, much more durable and taller on the paint than something that has been turned into a liquid form for ease of use.  Paste will also provide more depth and yes some shine too, but remember the shine should already be there from polishing...more of a wet look in your paint vs a liquid wax.  From my experience with the Adam's line, Americana Paste Wax holds it's durability a LOT longer than Buttery Wax.  

I have very limited experience with Zaino, but have never heard anything but good about them.  The Portland Sales rep is a really nice guy also.

Edited by THE Mook

I'd love to get a shot of your paint where the camera is looking directly into the reflection of the sun, a real close up. It looks like a beautiful blue metallic, and that is sometimes the best way to see just how awesome the colour really is!

Adam's has 3 waxes, 1 glaze and 1 sealant, fairly simple lineup.   Of the waxes, you have a quick, easy to apply liquid, a high end paste wax, and an uber fine wax...you're choice, ultimately they'll be your top coat. 

Like Chris said, the polishes are a completely different beast, they are not shine inducing, or protecting your paint in any way.  They are simply their to perfect the finish prior to protecting it.  Perfect before protect.

Swirls are not typically created from waxing, but rather the wash process, those who take extra good care, use multiple wash mitts, multiple buckets, foam, etc will avoid swirls for the most part.

I never said that polishes aren't shine inducing!  They are one of the biggest inducers of shine.   

Putting your camera on "macro" with the flash on and putting your lens up close to the finish, take a shot.  That's the best and quickest way to see swirls IMO.  I have a special hand held light designed for just that, that I use when I'm correcting paint.  

post-19-0-12828700-1395347054_thumb.jpg

Most body shops have NO IDEA what correcting paint is.  They assume it's sanding and repainting.  lol  Most body shops put swirls in paint.  

:iagree:

Before I had a buddy recommend Adam's, I was washing (single bucket with used foam and wash rags), claying and then applying cheap wax with a rotary buffer from the 70's or 80's with the "tie on" pads.

This was all done on cars I previously owned and thank God I don't anymore for fear of ALL the damage "I" induced into the paint of those vehicles.

After countless hours of watching Adam's vol 7 and now 8 videos on youtube and here on the site, I was able to start "getting my hands dirty" with my buddy's collection and saw how much better cleaning my car can be with the right tools.

I will admit that my friend could have steered me to Mequ... or Zan... or (insert blank paint protection company) and I might have felt the same way.  But after researching some options, I will agree with those above that Adam's products are just K.I.S.S..  I don't have to worry about having every single product or multiple products to mix or measure out.  I also don't have to use 3 or 4 different products for the exact same step within a process.

I am not saying that any of the above brands are bad.  The contrary actually.  But for now, to get a swirl/haze free finish and protecting it "properly" with only a handful of products is awesome.  Also a real wallet saver as well.   (until you get hooked and then it doesn't anymore... BUT you will be one Happy person)

Edited by mtnbiker326

Tracy I can't speak for Z but I can speak for Adam's....I used to be a M user once I tried Adam's products I never looked back. Great products great customer service  USA made etc....I have a black 05 GTO and in 2010 Gm Nationals I won Best of Show out of 100 all years GTO's....and it's black and you know black don't lie. So if you want the best for your GTO you want Adam's......and BTW if you have a question about your products you can email or pm or even call and Adam himself just might be the one answering you. I don't think that would happen anywhere else.

I started with Adam's, and now, even though I have lots of other polishes, I usually start with Adam's.  As the others have said, I like the simplicity of the products.  You use the orange polish with the orange pads, the white polish with the white pads, and the black sealant with the black pads.  No figuring out white product that is in a black bottle goes with which color pad.  That is all you need, unless you want to learn more.

The waxes/sealants are a little more confusing, but you decide how much you want to 'rub on your ride' and go from there.  Lots of rubbin?  The use the easy on and off Buttery that will last a few months.  Enjoy applying wax, but want it to last a little longer?  Go with Americana.  Have a daily driver that you just want long lasting protection?  Go with LPS or Quick Sealant.

As you stated, this is an Adam's forum, and we are here because we like the products.  But I think you can see we didn't just "drink the kool-aid", the products and the support are both excellent.

I used to use Zaino, and at the time (13 years ago?) was very happy with the results! This of course was before I knew what swirl marks/ect were and used a regular cotton towel to wash using 1 bucket. When I started to read more about detailing and learning a whole lot more, I realized Zaino (as good as it is) wasn't the correct line of products for me. I wanted to move onto machine detailing my car, and had to find a product line to match, and am very glad I found Adams.

Are there better and cheaper products out there? Yes. However, I have no issue with spending my money towards a company that seriously might have the best customer service I've ever encountered, along with providing a top-notch product. It also doesn't hurt that Adam's has chosen and sticks to their "USA made" morals. While I may not follow that stance in my personal life, I'll happily endorse a company that does.

I don't see how you couldn't be happy with Adam's results. And as stated they'll refund your money 100%.

I placed my first order with Adam's about 3 months ago…. At first I was a little weary about their prices because in my mind I looked at it like I can go get a detail spray from Advance Auto Parts and spend a fraction of the price. But after hearing two of my friends say nothing but good things about Adam's products I decided to pull the trigger and take advantage of the Christmas sale on the site. I thought that if my friend was using them on his GT-R they would be good for my car or in fact any car considering the amount of soot on the back of his car(he is straight piped) and still ends up with no swirls or scratches. So after I ordered my first box I tried the products out and loved every single one of them since then I have probably spent a thousand dollars on their products no lie. You may be like me at first and be hesitant but every dollar is worth it in the long run. Plus the customer service is second to none they truly are amazing they for ever have my business.

Edited by JakeSoberman

There is a lit of good points in this thread.  I say give Adam's a shot.  You will be surprised and hooked on Adam's.  I do recommend you watch the videos to learn and gather more information to help you choose what you need. 

No, when it comes to carnuba waxes, the paste will most commonly last longer and give better visual results over a liquid.  Where Adams buttery (liquid) wax shines is its ease of removal and the fact that you can apply it in direct sunlight.  

If you want Daily Driver protection, ALWAYS go with a sealant.  I like a base of sealant on clean unprotected paint, topped with either Patriot or with BG and then Patriot. 

That is what I was saying, the paste wax will last longer!  Or am I missing what you are saying and this isn't always true?

Zaino isn't cheap and it's a PITA to apply IMO.  That said if you love the look of Zaino you might not like good waxes.  I personally don't like the look of Zaino.  It gets shiny sure but it gives you that mirror reflective finish.  I prefer more depth to my shine that's why I like Americana/Patriot.  Not to mention it's 100x easier to apply.

That is what I was saying, the paste wax will last longer!  Or am I missing what you are saying and this isn't always true?

lol, looks like a missed a couple of words!  My mind starts racing and I sometimes lose focus!  HELLO A.D.D.! 

I resolved it. 

Sorry! 

Thanks all for the post and most of all giving good reasons. (I was a bit worried Id open a can of worms, but that doesn't seem so) 

I understand polish is abrasive and wax is long term. I mentioned in my post that I don't believe and Zanio will tell you that there polish, at least the Z2 is not abrasive. That's why I why I think of it more as a liquid wax but they call it polish for what ever reason. I will also add ( I forgot about it before) that Im not a fan of the Zanio sealer. I just don't like the finish it gives.

It also threw me off a little that sometimes the paste wax is available from Adams and sometimes its not even listed on there site, and there always seems to be new products that replace old ones. That confuses me a little. Is there a reason that the paste wax isn't listed right now, or and I missing it?

I'm in need to make my summer order for some supplies so maybe Ill give the liquid butterfly wax and new liquid sealer a go. Not sure if it matters but my paint is a single stage Spies Hecker with Spies Hecker clear. If someone has another recommendation Id love to hear it. Ill try to post a straight on photo latter this weekend. The car has yet to be cleaned this year as its been sitting under a cover all winter waiting for the snow to melt and salt to be washed off the roads. I have a Autocross test and tune next weekend so I getting her cleaned up is on my to do list this weekend.

Zaino isn't cheap and it's a PITA to apply IMO.  That said if you love the look of Zaino you might not like good waxes.  I personally don't like the look of Zaino.  It gets shiny sure but it gives you that mirror reflective finish.  I prefer more depth to my shine that's why I like Americana/Patriot.  Not to mention it's 100x easier to apply.

Which I don't even see anymore, even yesterday there was a kit with paste wax but now its gone. I cant help but think, if its a great product why did it go away? I understand if its out of stock, but no longer available is a head scratcher.

Tracy, thanks for joining up here, we're glad to have you and thanks for giving us a shot at earning your business!

The crew has covered all the bases very well to help you decide if our products are right for you, so there's not much else I can add!

Americana will be back in stock early next week, not to worry!!  We only discontinued the Mini version, the 6.9oz is here to stay!!

Which I don't even see anymore, even yesterday there was a kit with paste wax but now its gone. I cant help but think, if its a great product why did it go away? I understand if its out of stock, but no longer available is a head scratcher.

You happen to be coming in at a time when Adams is cleaning house and getting rid of slow moving or hard to get items.   If you don't have a problem spending some money on an LSP, wait for Adams Patriot wax.  It's truly UNREAL.  

Thanks all for the post and most of all giving good reasons. (I was a bit worried Id open a can of worms, but that doesn't seem so) 

I understand polish is abrasive and wax is long term. I mentioned in my post that I don't believe and Zanio will tell you that there polish, at least the Z2 is not abrasive. That's why I why I think of it more as a liquid wax but they call it polish for what ever reason. I will also add ( I forgot about it before) that Im not a fan of the Zanio sealer. I just don't like the finish it gives.

It also threw me off a little that sometimes the paste wax is available from Adams and sometimes its not even listed on there site, and there always seems to be new products that replace old ones. That confuses me a little. Is there a reason that the paste wax isn't listed right now, or and I missing it?

I'm in need to make my summer order for some supplies so maybe Ill give the liquid butterfly wax and new liquid sealer a go. Not sure if it matters but my paint is a single stage Spies Hecker with Spies Hecker clear. If someone has another recommendation Id love to hear it. Ill try to post a straight on photo latter this weekend. The car has yet to be cleaned this year as its been sitting under a cover all winter waiting for the snow to melt and salt to be washed off the roads. I have a Autocross test and tune next weekend so I getting her cleaned up is on my to do list this weekend.

Sounds to me like you've made a good choice, but it's just BW no flies were killed in the making of it.  ;) 

Please note, sealants have to be laid down on clean unprotected paint, so if you do use the sealant, you'll want to do a strip wash first.  

Chris