Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing Stools

gapwedge

Question

At 61, I am not fond any more of getting on my knees or bending for any length of time.  Now that I am getting an orbital the lower side panels will be a chore if I don't find a better way to work.  Do any of you have detail stools and if so where should I begin to look for a good one?  Thanks in advance from a geezer who still likes to detail his vehicles. :lol:

I have been using an old computer chair with caster wheels, and I just removed the arm rests and back rest. I think the only issue is that it doesn't go very low. I may still purchase a detainers stool later on.

hey gary - i just went to my local harbor freight and picked up a very basic stool. four wheels, a small "shelf" below the seat, and adjustable height. cost me about $30 each.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-adjustable-roller-seat-46319.html

I'm sure there are better options out there, but I didn't want to shell out a lot of cash.

I have the same one, and had them for two years now. They are great! Sometimes They will put them on sale for under $20.

hey gary - i just went to my local harbor freight and picked up a very basic stool. four wheels, a small "shelf" below the seat, and adjustable height. cost me about $30 each.

I'm sure there are better options out there, but I didn't want to shell out a lot of cash.

I have this same stool as well. Simple and gets the job done. Plus' harbor freight almost always has a 20-30% coupon you can find.

It doesn't appear so, at this time.  The "ProGear Racing GearSeat" is made/marketed by ProGear, the "Professional Tools Division" of Traxion, Inc.  According to their web site, "TraXion is committed to Assembled and Made in the USA. We regularly review products to determine if USA production is viable. Here is our starting point. These products listed here are either made in the USA or assembled in the USA using foreign and domestic components.  We look forward to this page growing!"

Unfortunately, their site currently lists only one "Made in the USA" product ("The BodyForm Creeper USA").  A second, "The ProForm Creeper USA", is listed as "USA Production Coming Soon".  A third, "ProGear Wide-Body Creeper", is advertised as being "Assembled in the USA from import and domestic components".  I infer, from the the lack of "Made in the USA" marketing regarding the GearSeat, that it's not currently produced domestically.  

I know this is an old thread, but I noticed that the ProGear Race Seat and the similar GearSeat Monster both now appear on the Made in the USA page.  I have no idea how much of it is made in the USA, but it might be worth looking into!

I'm a little late to the party on this reply, but I've been using this Craftsman seat for about 2 years now.  It was given to me as a gift to match some of the other Craftsman equipment I have in my garage, but unfortunately like a lot of their products now, I doubt that it was made in the USA.

Screenshot_2014-11-11-23-48-06_zpscb9a40

The plastic trays in the bottom are removable, and I think one or two of them have magnets underneath to keep screws/nuts/etc from rolling around.  The height is adjustable, but I wish it would go a few inches lower than it does.  Sears usually has it on sale for $30 off or more on that certain day-after-turkey-day shopping insanity :)

One more shot of me on the mechanic seat set to the lowest position, back when I was just starting to restore the truck I bought off of my dad last winter...it's come a long way since this picture!

IMG_6319_zps89fd212b.jpg

The Craftsman seat is nice!  I hate to break it to you but its probably the same seat that HF sells, just is licensed with the Craftsman name/colors as such.  I've noticed a lot of Husky equipment and other Home Depot licensed tools can be found, unbranded (or with HF's own brand names) at Harbor Freight.  Either way at 30 bucks its a damn good buy!

Yeah, I guess I got it mainly to match the larger barstool chair at my workbench, ha. I think it actually ended up costing around $40 or $50 after discounts. It's listed at $79.99 on their website.

Edited by psu goat

Hey Dan the goat man - here is a side-by-side of the Craftsman Professional stool that you have and the Traxion ProGear, both at their lowest position.  The ProGear is a few inches shorter.  Also, I had switched out the castors on the Craftsman to a softer wheel, but they were about the same size or maybe just a bit taller.

20141113_185550.jpg

Question regarding the progear, does it go over small bumps in the driveway and obstacles like a cable?

Yes, the five inch wheels go over stuff much better than the smaller casters.  They roll over cracks and expansion joints in the concrete much better, rolling over cords is a little better but still takes a push, better off keeping the cords out of the way if possible.

Hey DAN, how much does that progear seat run? Thanks

Right now it is $114 on Amazon, which is a few bucks less than when I ordered it.  I may have to get a second one so I don't have to keep sharing this one with the kids!

http://www.amazon.com/Traxion-2-700-ProGear-Mobile-Gear/dp/B00M2QMHK6/ref=pd_sim_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NA86J654PMRWXX35NTY

Adam,

Still interested to hear what you thought of the pro gear detail stool? It's got the right color scheme for Adams. Would love to see you offer this with an embroidered adams patch on it!

Put me down to buy the first one if you do!

Still interested to hear what you thought of the pro gear detail stool? It's got the right color scheme for Adams. Would love to see you offer this with an embroidered adams patch on it!

Put me down to buy the first one if you do!

I'm not Adam, but I did receive a Traxion ProGear Mobile Gear Seat for Christmas.  (No Adam's embroidery, though.)  

I finally got a chance to use it a couple of weeks ago.  I'm very happy with it.  I assembled it with the shelf, which I find very useful for holding things like polish and DS.  Rolling around the lower panels is SOOOO much easier and more comfortable than sitting, kneeling, squatting, etc!  

Edited by Norton

OMG, I was JUST at harbor freight and it was one of the items I wanted to check out... but I totally forgot about it!!!