Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rupes, Carlisle Events Team Experience and Review

BRZN

Question

I guess I'll call this Chapter 2.

If you'd like, here's Chapter 1 for you.

The boxes that were delivered early Friday evening

IMG_2763resize_zps8tbzci1h.jpg

What could they be?

IMG_7138resize_zpsngjsdjyl.jpg

Christmas in July, that's what it could be!

The neighbor's black 2012 Cadillac SRX was all cleaned and clayed and ready for polish

IMG_7134resize_zpsuzgdrkgz.jpg

A comparison was set up

IMG_7140resize_zpsplyvv3xs.jpg

I didn't break out the Porter Cable, as I didn't have the new 5.5" backing plate yet.

The troops were rounded up

IMG_2767resize_zps3663ndll.jpg

As many of you know, I do part time summer work for Adam as his Eastern Events Coordinator. You'll see my Team and I at many of the Carlisle events, and this year at The Syracuse Hot Rod Nationals. It is important my Team be familiar with the new machines so we all can help customers with explanations of each machine and their strengths. I worked with Adam and Dylan to get these in my hands before my next show. Eventually they'll end up with the in the Carlisle Trailer and be used on demo cars at the events, both in our hands, and yours if you stop by!

It rained over night and was beginning to again as the daylight broke. My GTO was pulled out of the garage and the Cadillac in where we were going to need to work. I wiped it down again with WW using several WW towels.

9:00am the guys showed up, we looked over each machine and got started.

Charlie is using the Bigfoot 21 on the hood with an orange microfiber pad and PCP. A couple of his comments; huge throw, not real easy to see how to center the microfiber pad on the machine-the microfibers cover the hole, soft start is nice, very smooth operation, the new hook and loop is amazing with how well it holds.

IMG_7141resize_zpsf4prnkqe.jpg

Charlie corrected the other half of the hood using the Flex with the microfiber pad and PCP. The Flex was more powerful due to its forced rotation, and corrected quicker than the Bigfoot 21.

Bob has used the Bigfoot 21 before and here he is using the Bigfoot 15 on a rear quarter panel. Bob will be with me at the Syracuse Hot Rod Nationals, Corvettes at Carlisle, and at Fall Carlisle.

IMG_7142resize_zpsmtz8lln4.jpg

No more holograms, Bob liked this machine, as the rest of us did. It's 15" throw is very close to the Flex and the machine feels similar to the Flex with one big exception. Since the Bigfoot machines are not forced rotation they don't want to pull or push you across a panel while being used. You don't feel as beat up and tired after spending some time with these.

Brain and I spent quite a bit of time with the 75e Mini.

IMG_7143resize_zpsvih18goy.jpg

Brian and his wife, Sarah will be with me at Fall Carlisle again. Brian placed a 4" microfiber pad on the Mini and corrected the entire right rear quarter panel. Brian works as a Detailer for Bobby Rahal Toyota in Mechanicsburg, PA and has quite a bit of experience with many different machines. He said he could see correcting an entire machine with the Mini! He got the quarter panel 100% perfect. He did spend some time though getting it to this level. One pass with the Bigfoot 15 using the same pad/polish combo on the right rear door didn't correct as well as Brian did with the Mini on that quarter panel. A second pass with the Bigfoot 15 was required and did the trick.

I used the Mini with the 4" foam pads on the tail gate and in tight spaces we couldn't get the other machines; I want one of these!

IMG_7145resize_zpsa3zyykde.jpg

The little thing is a beast. Crank it up to 7 and it sounds like an angle grinder! It's not as powerful as a cordless drill, but darn close and it won't leave holograms behind.

I spent some time with the Cyclo and the 4" Gen 5 pads while Brian was using the 75e Mini. One thing I noticed immediately is the feel of the machine/pad against the vehicle. Almost all slop from the pad to the paint is gone, there is a more firm and direct feel with the pad to the paint due to the heavy duty neoprene. This allows the Cyclo to correct better than it did with the Gen 4 pad system. My wife Holly heard all the noise coming from the garage and came out to join us for a bit.

IMG_7144resize_zpsf81hou9o.jpg

I tore a small piece of foam off one of the 4" orange foam pads removing it from the Cyclo. The new hook and loop is very firm and the tapered design of the pad makes it somewhat harder to lift the backing of the pad from the backing plate attached to the machine without grabbing some of the foam.

A slight draw back a couple of us found from the heavy duty neoprene is that you don't want to touch the neoprene to the paint while the machine is running. We had a few oh sh*t moments where we thought we'd burned through the paint; door handles, mirrors, and a spot on the rear tailgate. It was neoprene scuffed onto these areas, Goo Gone took the scuffs right off.

Charlie's seen here finishing the contours of the front bumper with the Mini using a white foam pad with PFP.

IMG_7149resize_zps9kv3r4dl.jpg

You won't be seeing Charlie at any of the events this year. Due to some recent changes he thought it best to back out. He does however detail with me quite regularly and I thought it still a good idea to have him join us for the morning to gain the same knowledge and experience.

Lastly I applied Liquid Paint Sealant with the Bigfoot 15 using a grey foam pad.

IMG_7150resize_zpstlnyynmz.jpg

The Bigfoot 15 seemed to be the most versatile machine and would be perfect to use on well cared for and maintained vehicles. We all loved it.

The Bigfoot 21 would be great for large panels and larger vehicles; trucks, RV's, campers, buses, etc...

The 75e Mini, each one of us plans to purchase one of these. The maneuverability, and power of this little machine should be the second machine anyone buys. It's unbelievable.

The Gen 5 pad system is a perfect match for all three of these new Rupes machines as well as for the the Flex we tried them on too.

I'll have all three of these machines and the Gen 5 pad system with me at The Carlisle Chrysler Nationals next weekend, if you're at the show, or in the area stop by and check them out. After Chrysler's I'll be sending them to Chris for him to perfect his technique before Corvettes at Carlisle.

21 answers to this question

Nice write-up Dave! We all had a productive morning making Mike & Tammy's car look outstanding, Bird bomb etching, bug guts and residue, scratches, key marks, holograms & swirls for the most part just disappeared under the Rupes/ Carlisle Eastern Events Team attack. The smile on Mike's face said it all when we called him over.

There was a scary moment when I saw some black streaks on the paint in a corner and a door handle. But as Dave noted above, these were just marks from the neoprene pads and were quickly banished with a little GooGone.

I especially liked the longer cords on all of the Rupes machines, and those cords are very flexible unlike some others that I have worked with. My only complaint MIGHT be, and keep in mind that we were working in Dave's garage with 4 machines running at the same time, is that the machines all have a higher-pitched sound that hurt my old ears, so you may want to consider wearing some sort of hearing protection while you work.

Other than that, I will say with the heartiest of recommendations that the Rupes Terrific Trio of Tools was a great addition to the Adam's arsenal of polishing equipment!

Awesome job Dave, and Bob, I'm in agreement about the machines noise, I'm only 29 and I've been wearing ear plugs when polishing with machines for a few years now.  After 4-5 years of landscaping and construction out of high school I learned whenever I'm using a tool that makes noise, protect your hearing, once its gone, you can't get it back!

I have all three of the Adam's older polishers and was wondering if any of the Rupes would be an improvement enough to buy one. It sounds like the mini is a definite one and I was suspecting it to be.,  The 15 is still debatable and the 21 appears to be out. 

Great write-up! I've wanted a 75e mini for a while now. I'm also interested in the new pads. See you next week at Carlisle.

Travis, The new pad system is quite impressive. The actual part of the pad you polish with is thinner and attached to the neoprene. The neoprene has little to no give, so the rotation/oscillation of the machine is more directly transferred to what you're polishing. They really made the Cyclo feel like a more powerful machine.

I have all three of the Adam's older polishers and was wondering if any of the Rupes would be an improvement enough to buy one. It sounds like the mini is a definite one and I was suspecting it to be.,  The 15 is still debatable and the 21 appears to be out. 

Jim, Improvement enough? They're different than the others. The PC is still an awesome tool for a beginner to start with, But so would the Bigfoot 15. The rotational movement on all three Rupes can be stopped while the oscillation will continue, just like the PC and Cyclo. The Cyclo can be positioned to reach smaller areas, also, the PC can be fitted with a 4" machine backing plate to be able to reach into tight areas, they're just not as powerful as the 75e Mini. The Bigfoot 21 has a larger throw, so you'd be able to correct larger areas quicker than with the PC, Cyclo, or Flex. For pure brute power, none seemed to beat the Flex.

Going through the same process as you my friend. Picked up the mini and looking forward to it. Used the Flex this weekend and was reminded just how awesome it is! But also how much it can pull you around. Got me thinking about that 15. But I wonder if the 15 is a massive departure from the Cyclo. Since I have the Cyclo and the Flex I think I have pretty much all scenarios covered. But I am a tool hoarder so not sure I can stay away from that Rupes 15.

Craig & Jamey, The Bigfoot 15 is a bit more powerful than the Cyclo, with both machines having a 15" throw. The Cyclo can be positioned to get into some tighter areas the 15  would have trouble doing. The Cyclo is the smoothest operating machine of those in Adam's line up with the Bigfoot 15 being a very close 2nd.

The Bigfoot 15 is an awesome machine, but I wouldn't be giving up my Cyclo for one.

I'll take both!

They'll each have their place in paint correction and finishing.

Geoff, You coming to Fall Carlisle this year?

10% off with no shipping costs as our Show Special.

Stop by if you've not picked one up by then. We'll set you up!

Good seeing you and your father again this past weekend at the Syracuse Hot Rod Nationals!