Customer Service 866.965.0400

what polisher

PostalTwo

Question

hi folks . im looking to get a polisher real soon .ive decided to go with adams products when i do and im looking for advice for my particular situation as i know that there is no best polisher for every situation. i drive a 2014 ram 1500 got it from the dealer polished with no swirls . i ve been lucky to maintain that shine with proper washing so i dont not need a polisher for correction purposes . i would like a polisher that works with my body style and something that i can use to kick the shine up a notch, and correct in the furture any light swirls that may show up. glossy wet shine is the priority tho.

It depends on your budget, how much time you have, and how often you plan to use it.  

Porter Cable

• Most budget friendly
  • slower, but can do the same correction
  • best for infrequent use
  • use 5.5" or 4" backing plate/pads

Cyclo

• more $ 
  • very smooth, good correction
  • good for all uses
  • uses 4" BP/pads, but has large work area 

Rupes 15

• more $
  • very smooth
  • very large throw (work area)
  • uses 5.5" BP/pads
  • good for most uses, not for tight areas

Rupes 21

• more $$
  • very smooth
  • even larger throw
  • uses 7" BP/pads
  • best for large panels

Flex 3401

• more $
  • very fast correction
  • uses 7" BP pads
  • forced rotation adds to learning curve
  • best for frequent use

So it is up to you and how you plan to use the polisher.

I started with a PC and the 7" pads.  They were slow, but they worked.  I changed to 5.5" BP/pads, and that allowed for a little more speed.  I also added the MF pads, and it can correct almost any defect.  

If it's in the budget, I'd go with the Rupes 15. Very nice, smooth machine with plenty of correcting power. Or since a truck has large panels you could get a 21, but then it might be nice to have a Mini for the smaller areas. It really depends on your budget. I'm not a fan of the PC because of the vibration, but many people use it and are happy with its performance.

buget is not a concern ,but i dont want to waste money . i only want to buy one machine . the truck is large but also has some curves to it .mostly id like to know if u have all the machines or some of them which one would u grab off the cart for my vehicle

Edited by PostalTwo

That's a great question.....Have you used a machine before?

The Rupes and Flex are way more comfortable to use, they won't beat you up like say the PC.

That being said we all have and have used PC's and they will get the job done.....it may just take longer.

All of the machines that Adam's sell are SAFE on your clear coat.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/specials.html

Trevor, since price is not a factor, and you seem to be looking for "one machine" to fit your needs for keeping the truck polished, and most likely lightly corrected as needed, I would recommend the Cyclo.

This is based on my experience, it is a very well balanced, easy to use on both large and smaller areas, and as long as major correction isn't a concern, should meet your needs very well.

Myself, I have numerous, and each one has a specific place where I tend to use it, but the Cyclo always seems to be the one I grab when there isn't much correction to do, and I want a machine which finishes great without any vibration issues.

Check out the Adam's videos on the machine polishers, they even have one which tries to show you which machine may fit your particular needs.

Edited by rkj4243

robert ty for your opinion the cyclo is tops of the list atm . however the flex intrigues me with a selection of plates for different pad sizes . my concern with it is that it wont finish down as well as something like a cyclo or rupes . im also interested in a rupes 15 but im concerned that i wont get into all the spots i need and that the pad rotation will stop on the curves in the body.

I do not have a problem finishing down with the Flex. It is more aggressive then the Cyclo or Rupes. I tried the Rupes 15 this past weekend and was really impressed with it. I did just get the Rupes Mini to help get all the small areas and am glad I got it. I started out with the PC and then moved to the Flex. All are great machines.

I have 3 machines. 2 PC's one with a 4 inch backing plate the other with a 7 inch so I do not have to keep switching plates all the time, and my favorite, a Flex 3401. I do a lot of paint correcting for customers so it makes it easier for me not to switch pads all the time, but if thats not what your doing, I l'd buy a Flex. Using the variable speed is great, very comfortable to use, very minimal vibration from the Flex and WOW does it correct paint. Lots of backing plates and pads available as well. I do like my 2 PC's theyt just do not work as fast or as efficient as the Flex. Never used a Cyclo, or a Rupes so cant tell you how those work but I hear good things. I just thought I would stick with a proven machine that is recommended by many professional detailers.As with most people, you start with a PC and end up buying a Flex , quicker and faster.There is a PC listed under "Garage Sale Forum" for $50 yesterday,(a great buy) I would buy that if I didnt have 2 already. You can never have enough tools !!!!

My personal recommendation for a good all around machine would be the Rupes 15. I have All Rupes machines and love them several Flex rotaries and 3401. A couple of PC . AS I do this as a side business. I have never used a cyclo so I can't comment . But I find for someone that wants only one machine that the Rupes 15 fits that bill perfectly.

I have a PC myself and I WILL be upgrading to the Cyclo polisher. I have read the reviews and talk to a few folks about the Rupes but just doesnt seem to be what I want. 

I will say the PC does an awesome job but it certainly works you out as much as it works. 

Just noticed my phone put 5.5, it's a 5" backing plate. The extra throw of the machine along with a smaller pad makes things super nice. It was actually recommended by me to Kevin brown to try this method and I haven't switched since I started it.

You will hear of a lot of people doing a "washer mod" to their Rupes which I don't do for below listed reasons. From my understanding the reason the Rupes tool is built with a little "lag, drag, whatever you want to call it" is because it basically anti friction to make it easier on curved areas, it slows the pad and also helps keep the pad rotating. Basically the washer mod makes it spin more freely, but will also hinder the tool in the eyes of pad rotation in the more curved, slower speed areas. Someone can chime in if I am incorrect, but that's my understanding of the tool.    

So to answer your question, losing pad rotation more from one to the other? No. But will it lose pad rotation easier/more often than say a Flex? Yes. But it's also a DA polisher and not a forced rotation like the above mentioned Flex.

I did the washer mod for the 15 that I bought for my detailers, mainly because they are used to rotaries and putting a lot more downward pressure on it, which slowed rotation a lot.

The washer mod definitely helped with the rotation but what helped the most was Dylan's video when they started selling the Rupes where he was just using light pressure with his hand. That really keeps it rotating and the increase in rotation really seems to help it cut faster.

I should probably try it again without the washer and see if keeping the pressure light makes the washer not so important anymore.

I really like the Rupes machines but my old school guys with their rotaries are hard to convince.