Customer Service 866.965.0400

Layering over liquid paint sealer???

Erictski

Question

A question about layering liquid paint. The day of the initial sealant coat, should I be putting wax or h2o g&g on it immediately or wait for the next wash?

Also if I put buttery over liquid paint, can I still go ahead with h2o g&g after during my maintenance washes? It would I be better off just skipping the buttery and doing just the h2o g&g.

This is for my daily driver up in Green Bay Wisconsin

24 answers to this question

On the first day just liquid paint sealant is sufficient. On the next wash you can hit it with some h2o g&g if you want but it's not necessary. You can do the h2o g&g every 2-3 months and you'll be great. 

Buttery wax isn't really necessary honestly if you're using liquid paint sealant and h2o g&g

On the first day just liquid paint sealant is sufficient. On the next wash you can hit it with some h2o g&g if you want but it's not necessary. You can do the h2o g&g every 2-3 months and you'll be great.

Buttery wax isn't really necessary honestly if you're using liquid paint sealant and h2o g&g

Thanks I wasn't sure if the buttery would kind of be a wasted step or not.

Wax has very much turned into an obsolete step in the detailing industry. Sealants provide far better protection and they still look great. The only use for wax that I can honestly think of is for a show car where durability isn't a concern. 

Edited by lax

Personally I do the LPS and use buttery on top as I find that going out and giving my truck a wipe down is very relaxing, so Ill give it either a rinseless or waterless wash regularly and quite often will fell the desire to shine it up so I will apply another layer of buttery wax. 

Is the LPS and H2O better? I keep hearing yes, but for ME I enjoy the time with the Truck. 

For people who enjoy spending more time than necessary on their vehicle then yes absolutely nothing wrong with using a wax. Sealants are just quicker and easier to use and last far longer, that's why the industry has gravitated towards them and waxes have become obsolete. 

If you enjoy using wax for therapy no one is saying not to, it's just not necessary. But you're not doing it because it's necessary, you're doing it because you enjoy it! 

Personally between school and my detailing business, I don't have a ton of free time to spend on my own vehicle, so sealants are for me. 

It's all personal preference Jim :) If you enjoy spending the time working on your vehicle like a lot of us here do for our car therapy, and you're happy with the results, then sticking with putting Buttery Wax over the Liquid Paint Sealant is fine. It's an incredibly easy product to use, and I usually want to sit down with some popcorn and watch a movie after I use it!

Yes, using HGG over top of LPS would provide a little more durability since HGG is an acrylic-based sealant, but BW will still give you a very nice shine.

I understand what you're saying about sealants vs. waxes Tim, and I agree that sealants will outperform a paste wax for longevity. To my eye though, a premium paste wax gives more depth and glow to a nice dark colored vehicle or vehicles that have a lot of pearl or metallics in the finish. Similar to what you said, when I'm detailing a top of the line show car or a car that doesn't get out of the garage too much, then I always grab my tub of Americana or Patriot Wax, but if I'm detailing a daily driver that is going to see a lot of miles of all sorts of weather, then I will stick with Liquid Paint Sealant or HGG.

The key is for you guys and gals is to try a few different options and see which works best for you :)

Glad to be learning these little tid bits from you guys.  I always thought to wax over a sealant was a necessary step, but if liquid sealant provides a nice shine still without having to wax as well that is more of a time saver for me.  My wife's CR-V is the darker metallic color so wax may still be needed to give it a nice shine.

Edited by MaStA

Jared, both Dan and Chris gave you excellent advice and tips!

On both my vehicles, daily driver and show car, I use Patriot wax over Liquid Paint Sealant, as the show car is black, and the daily driver is "White Diamond Pearl."

It ADDS to the "fresh painted, wet look" on the black vehicle, and adds some depth and luster to the White Diamond.

Whatever you decide will work out with excellent results, it really depends upon exactly what would make you happy and satisfied with the end result.

:2thumbs: 

For all the cars I detail and apply machine sealant to, I always use a coat of Brilliant Glaze on top of the machine sealant and then a coat of Buttery Wax or Americana. Brilliant Glaze adds the "pop" and the wax adds the depth and shine and all my customers are amazed at the results. As mentioned above in some posts, depends on the car and what your doing with it.I will definetly agree that sealant adds a good amount of shine, but wax adds the depth. Heres a couple pics of my Mustang at at the Good Guys East Coast Nationals, never had any sealant on it, Patiot Wax and Brilliant Glaze only, and it like looks dripping wet. Tough to get that shine and depth with sealant only.                                                                                                                                                                                                

post-10998-0-33813400-1434364466_thumb.jpg
post-10998-0-39168500-1434364494_thumb.jpg
post-10998-0-78550000-1434364565_thumb.jpg

99% of the depth and shine comes from proper prep (washing, claying and correcting the paint). The last probably less than 1% comes from your LSP. The vast majority of people couldn't tell a difference between a vehicle that was waxed vs sealed. The aesthetic differences between waxes and sealants has become increasingly difficult to notice with the increase in technology. 

But, like I said before, if you're someone who likes (or has time) to constantly be doing something to your car or taking 4-5 hours to detail instead of 2-3, then by all means use a wax. I own both Buttery and Americana and although I see no use for Buttery at all, Americana will come out for show cars or by customer request (they're paying extra for the added time required to use it). 

If you notice throughout the industry, waxes are continuing to be replaced with sealants and coatings. I challenge you to find a reputable detailer still using waxes on non-show cars. 

99% of the depth and shine comes from proper prep (washing, claying and correcting the paint). The last probably less than 1% comes from your LSP. The vast majority of people couldn't tell a difference between a vehicle that was waxed vs sealed. The aesthetic differences between waxes and sealants has become increasingly difficult to notice with the increase in technology. 

Not sure your 100% accurate on the percentages.....(hahaha, sorry I had to do that) but seriously, I completely agree that the secret to the best shine is proper cleaning and polishing to remove defects and make the surface as smooth and level as possible.  A scratched up, oxidized, or otherwise defective surface will not reflect light evenly and therefore not look as shiny.  

Now, back on topic, in my personal experiences on a couple of my own cars as well as countess customer cars, I've had great success with layering LPS on top of itself.  The shine is phenomenal and who doesn't like an extra coat of an already great sealer. Then HGG for routine maintenance.  I will do Americana on top of LPS at the request of a customer too, but the results are very similar to two coats of LPS.

Just my .02......YMMV

- Darryl

But, like I said before, if you're someone who likes (or has time) to constantly be doing something to your car or taking 4-5 hours to detail instead of 2-3, then by all means use a wax. I own both Buttery and Americana and although I see no use for Buttery at all, Americana will come out for show cars or by customer request (they're paying extra for the added time required to use it). 

If you notice throughout the industry, waxes are continuing to be replaced with sealants and coatings. I challenge you to find a reputable detailer still using waxes on non-show cars. 

I'll take your Buttery Wax if your not going to use it !! LOL

Now, back on topic, in my personal experiences on a couple of my own cars as well as countess customer cars, I've had great success with layering LPS on top of itself. The shine is phenomenal and who doesn't like an extra coat of an already great sealer. Then HGG for routine maintenance. I will do Americana on top of LPS at the request of a customer too, but the results are very similar to two coats of LPS.

Just my .02......YMMV

- Darryl

How long do you let the first layer of liquid paint dry or cure before the second application? This sounds like a good idea.

I typically wait at least a half hour or so before applying anything on top of Liquid Paint Sealant, but you could even wait until the next day. I apply LPS one panel at a time, allow it to haze up for a minute or two, and then buff it off with a Single Soft or Double Soft Towel. By the time I get to the last panel on the car it's been a half hour or so and the first panel would be good to put on a coat of Brilliant Glaze, Americana, or Patriot Wax.

Per the directions, allow about an hour before layering additional products.  Once it's dry, it's dry, so many times I will apply it with the PC, go home, and then take it off the next morning.  At that point, it's had plenty of time to "cure" and I will apply the second coat immediately after wiping off the first one.

- Darryl

I use Liquid Paint Sealant but then put on a layer of Americana once a month or so. The Americana has filling qualities that hide imperfections very well in between paint corrections and the depth of shine really is a bit different than the sealant alone. My car is back and this combination works great.

I had a nice layer of LPS and H2O G&G on my truck then came accross a deal on patriot wax I couldnt pass up. I figured i would just test a section on my truck with it. Ended up doing the whole thing. The patroit wax made a noticable differance in the depth and color of the paint. I was really surprised that it was that noticable.

You could probably use liquid paint sealant and then apply brilliant glaze for more shine. You could even use paint sealant and h2o guard and gloss for a little extra protection and shine and then apply brilliant glaze for even more shine!!  :)