Customer Service 866.965.0400

Safest way to clean a slightly dirty car?

Bryce

Question

Hey everyone,

Living in Vegas, our cars are constantly covered in fine sand or dust almost immediately after washing.  I am wondering what is the best/most efficient way of cleaning this off.

I'm thinking either waterless wash, or a water rinse with detail spray used to dry, also maybe a foam cannon with a normal rinse afterwards and then drying with detail spray and an MF.

I know you want to touch your finish as little as possible.  What kind of got me thinking is the thread from earlier where someone mentioned other foam cannons are advertised as no-touch washing.

I used to always use detail spray and an MF towel to remove the dust but I'm wondering if I can do something to cause less damage.

13 answers to this question

My two garage queens sometimes have to go outside for a day or two when my shop is full of customer cars, so here's what I do for them.

Foam gun, rinse, pull inside, air dry with compressor (or equivalent) and then dry with detail spray.  

If I have any doubts whatsoever about the amount of dirt or if it has rained at all, then out come the buckets and wash mit.  If your desert dust is very fine, then I would use Rinseless/Waterless in a pressurized sprayer and use multiple waffle weaves to wipe/dry it off.

My two garage queens sometimes have to go outside for a day or two when my shop is full of customer cars, so here's what I do for them.

Foam gun, rinse, pull inside, air dry with compressor (or equivalent) and then dry with detail spray.  

If I have any doubts whatsoever about the amount of dirt or if it has rained at all, then out come the buckets and wash mit.  If your desert dust is very fine, then I would use Rinseless/Waterless in a pressurized sprayer and use multiple waffle weaves to wipe/dry it off.

Thats exactly what I am thinking.  

Thanks for the response!

Rinseless Wash is PERFECT for slightly dirty or dusty cars. Multiple towels flipping every pass. Use up all 8 sides of the towel and toss it in the hamper. Get a fresh one.

I do mine with 6 wash towels and 3 - 4 drying towels.

Finish it up with a detail spray wipe and it looks car-show ready.

As said above, Waterless Wash or Rinseless is perfect for slightly dirty/dusty cars.

I get what you mean about the possibility of using the foam gun/cannon as a no-touch alternative.  IMO if you have the time to use the foam gun/cannon, dry with sidekick/MB and then dry with Detail Spray... you might as well add the 2 buckets for a safer wash.

For me, Waterless Wash works great for a quick clean when I don't have time for a standard wash.

While I agree the rinseless wash would be a great choice, we're talking about SAND here, not normal dirt.  I'm agreeing with Darryl here (Odds n Ends).  I wouldn't want to risk fine scratches and swirls in the paint by using waterless or rinseless .  Just my opinion. 

While I agree the rinseless wash would be a great choice, we're talking about SAND here, not normal dirt.  I'm agreeing with Darryl here (Odds n Ends).  I wouldn't want to risk fine scratches and swirls in the paint by using waterless or rinseless .  Just my opinion. 

I am feeling the same way.  I just can't possibly see myself spraying enough waterless to suspend the tiny particles.

My 05 GTO has only been washed with water 4 times. Every time after I drive her I do a WW wipe down. And the paint is better today than new.

The only thing you have to be extra careful with is the sand that you speak of. If it's too bad you can always blast off the sand at the coin op car wash then spray down each panel with WW as you dry.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I am feeling the same way.  I just can't possibly see myself spraying enough waterless to suspend the tiny particles.

I felt the same way until I got a pressure spray bottle (i.e. Colad).  It lays down a thorough coat of waterless.  For me, waterless wash in a pressure spray and about six of the blue waffle towels get the job done.