Customer Service 866.965.0400

Color transfer while polishing?

PT3

Question

24 answers to this question

Usually yes.  What polish/compound where you using and on what area of your Cayenne?

It could also be that you had some built up dirt on the surface that you went over and it transferred to the pad.  

Also, if you hit/go over your window moldings/rubbers I have found that they can transfer black onto your pads.

Look in the area you were picking it up in, take some pics and post them up so we can see what is happening.  

As already suggested, it probably just from the seals. Porsche paint is pretty hard stuff. I actually picked up some dark residue off of my car a few weeks ago while using revive polish with the blue hex pad. I had just washed and clayed it, but it still grabbed some dark colored material, and it does not clean out of my pad. I may have just brushed up against the rubber molding, but I was trying to be careful. 

Wow.... This is what makes this forum so great. All you guys willing to jump in so quickly to help.

Truly awesome and heartening.

To answer the questions posed:

I polished the rear tailgate.

Truck is brand new so it hasn't been polished before. I was clayed by the dealer though.

I could have been dirt but I'm pretty certain I cleaned the area and adjacent panels very well before polishing.

I don't have any pics of the pads with the black transfer. I cleaned them immediately and they came up clean.

Attached here is a pic of the area polished

post-12257-0-19995600-1473702857_thumb.jpeg

At least you mask off your emblems before detailing. We get a decent amount of customers that come into the shop and say that there trim/moldings are discoloring. And you can clearly see that someone took a buffer right over them. Always around the rear Porsche raised letters and outer window seals. I replace a decent amount of them under warranty. In these days of customer satisfaction, the customer is never at fault. 

Yep, I bet that was it! Truck looks great though man!

I don't know the Porsche paint process as intimately as other makes, but another possibility is tinted clear.

It's not unusual for an OEM to use a pigment tinted clear as a top coat to give the paint a different dimension.

Thanks guys!!

DVK - always droppin knowledge! Love it brother!

Dan - thanks for the quick response and kind words. Much appreciated!

At least you mask off your emblems before detailing. We get a decent amount of customers that come into the shop and say that there trim/moldings are discoloring. And you can clearly see that someone took a buffer right over them. Always around the rear Porsche raised letters and outer window seals. I replace a decent amount of them under warranty. In these days of customer satisfaction, the customer is never at fault.

Thanks.... Though, I'm still rather green with polishing. I must have kept hitting the tape edges and getting the tape adhesive on the pad and dragging it around.

How do you polish around and in between badges??