Customer Service 866.965.0400

To glaze or not to glaze...

DaveyT

Question

18 answers to this question

One my wife's white Volvo XC70, honestly, I can't see a difference if I apply Brilliant Glaze to it or not, prior to wax or sealant. If the vehicle is polished to almost perfection, I wouldn't bother. If it's been a while since the last polishing, I'd do it for the slight filling properties afforded by the Brilliant Glaze.

We have two vehicles. One black and one baby blue. I noticed that when I applied BG to both vehicles, that the black car seemed to pop more than the baby blue car.

However, I did noticed that a shine difference on the baby blue car, before and after applying BG. It is not as amplified as with the black car, though.

Darker the color, the more reflection you will see from the Brilliant Glaze.  Still, on our pearl white kiddo-mover, I will clay and Glaze it every three washes.  It's so easy, and the results are with the effort...IMHO.

That is one shinny minivan!

Darker the color, the more reflection you will see from the Brilliant Glaze.  Still, on our pearl white kiddo-mover, I will clay and Glaze it every three washes.  It's so easy, and the results are with the effort...IMHO.

you don't see many Odyssey's with aftermarket rims!

Does claying every 3 washes have any affect on sealant life?

the solvents in Glaze also will break down the sealant slowly, that's why Adam clays/glazes often, and its probably therapeutic for him.  I'm sure with that kind of regimen he is always adding protection, similar to my regimen.

After a clay bar session in my years its always best practice to apply a layer of protection afterwards, whether you're using Glaze (a week to 10 days max), Buttery (a month), Americana (3 months), or Liquid Paint Sealant/Quick Sealant (6 months).  Just keeps everything slick and keeps contaminates from bonding as quickly.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

I just finished a full detail to a friend's white/cream Acura Integra about 3 weeks ago.  It's a custom white, but it has no metallic in it.  I could maybe notice a slight improvement in clarity (I like using the reflections of my neon Pontiac sign on the garage wall), but it certainly helped in minimizing the appearance of a few deeper scratches in the hood that I wasn't able to fully polish out with the Cyclo.  Here's the car in question, quite an exceptional GSR:

IMG_7093_zps32719c8b.jpg

IMG_7083_zps3740b874.jpg

Brilliant Glaze applied to the hood by hand...I usually apply it with the Cyclo or Flex, but I wanted the extra exercise.

20141019_224355_zpsf4c1c293.jpg

20141021_234734_zpsb06b3a71.jpg

20141024_180339_zps364da498.jpg

I will say that Brilliant Glaze sure does seem to bring out the pearl and metallic more in my White Diamond Tricoat Regal GS though!  It shimmers like crazy in sunlight.  It's so easy to apply and remove that I put a coat on every vehicle I detail :)

Edited by psu goat

That's a clean Integra Dan! Nice work, great photos, and write-up!

As for the Odyssey, yes, they are made in Lincoln, Alabama.   We won't have a minivan for long, but my wife refuses to drive the Dodge or Chrysler minivan, the only American options.  Bought it used, and my wife is literally trying to kill it.  Every day.

First to Dan, what a clean GSR example, not too many of those left nowadays!

That's a clean Integra Dan! Nice work, great photos, and write-up!

As for the Odyssey, yes, they are made in Lincoln, Alabama.   We won't have a minivan for long, but my wife refuses to drive the Dodge or Chrysler minivan, the only American options.  Bought it used, and my wife is literally trying to kill it.  Every day.

You learn something every day, thats pretty awesome that the Odyssey is made here nowadays, my wife's 4.3 Rav4 was also USA made, always a plus!  I would take it over a Dodge/Chrysler any day however (and the Dodge Caravan is discontinued as of nex year, only the Chrysler T&C remains), and I get a kick out of your wife trying to kill it.  Short of putting sand in the engine oil, as long as there is gas and oil in that engine she will be trying quite a while to get that Odyssey to die :)

I just bought a 2011 Grand Sport...so, I'm detailing again!

I've always use BG to accomplish 2 things.

1. Cleaner

2. Fill any tiny imperfections I couldn't get out or couldn't see inside my garage .

We've all done it... Full polish in the garage... Looks perfect with the halogens, looks perfect with the LED shop light...

The. You get it out in the sun and find that one thing.