Customer Service 866.965.0400

Anyone else feel like Adam's has slipped from contender to pretender?

I have to agree,  received the pressure washer yesterday from the Amazon Prime Day Sale.  The pressure washer was supposed to come with the mega foam cannon, soap and a wash mit.  None of that was in the box,  ok no big deal I understand mistakes happen.  Then I take the pressure washer out of the box,  it was and is clearly evident this is a rebranded Chinese machine.  It felt cheap and was covered in some kind of oily substance.  The grommets for the pressure washer tip storage just fall into the machine when you attempt to insert,  the power cord retainer for winding/storage is too small and will not hold the cord, and lastly the instructions have no mention of Adams preferred setup for what tip to use and when.  It is clearly evident that these come from China with generic instructions and someone along the way throws a sticker in there.  

I really wanted to like this and thought it would be a great tool.  I hope version 2.0 is better.  

On on a side note,  I maybe an outlier here but the sheer amount of products offered often times with the same purpose is just down right confusing.  You buy this microfiber for this and that one for that,  but after you wash them sometimes you have NO Idea what it what now.  Seems like color coding like the Lake polishing  pads would be helpful.  

Seems like Ike things went south with Adams when the mints went away🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, BoostedSVT03 said:

I have to agree,  received the pressure washer yesterday from the Amazon Prime Day Sale.  The pressure washer was supposed to come with the mega foam cannon, soap and a wash mit.  None of that was in the box,  ok no big deal I understand mistakes happen.  Then I take the pressure washer out of the box,  it was and is clearly evident this is a rebranded Chinese machine.  It felt cheap and was covered in some kind of oily substance.  The grommets for the pressure washer tip storage just fall into the machine when you attempt to insert,  the power cord retainer for winding/storage is too small and will not hold the cord, and lastly the instructions have no mention of Adams preferred setup for what tip to use and when.  It is clearly evident that these come from China with generic instructions and someone along the way throws a sticker in there.  

I really wanted to like this and thought it would be a great tool.  I hope version 2.0 is better.  

On on a side note,  I maybe an outlier here but the sheer amount of products offered often times with the same purpose is just down right confusing.  You buy this microfiber for this and that one for that,  but after you wash them sometimes you have NO Idea what it what now.  Seems like color coding like the Lake polishing  pads would be helpful.  

Seems like Ike things went south with Adams when the mints went away🤷‍♂️

There is a chart on their site that outline the uses of the tips. But i'll save you the time and put it below.

Pressure_Washer_PSI_Flow.jpg

On 7/17/2019 at 9:03 AM, GXPaycheck said:

If the company had never changed, people would complain. 

If they went back to the way it was 10 years ago, people would complain. 

If they grow and change, people will complain. 

The detailing industry is changing every day. We can change with it, or not. 

My only complaint is that I still have too much of the old products and I can’t justify upgrading yet. Third world problems, I know.

I will stick with folks that I know personally even if it costs a bit more. Adams is one of those companies. 

Just my two cents :cheers:

First world problems...is the term you’re looking for, LOL ;)

...and these threads lately are full of them! 

Edited by galaxy

14 hours ago, galaxy said:

First world problems...is the term you’re looking for, LOL ;)

...and these threads lately are full of them! 

Nobody ever mentions the second world. What’s up with that? 😁

Edited by GXPaycheck

If you're having 2nd world problems, you likely shouldn't be spending time on a forum. All in all I like that there has been some support of my critique of the company. I also appreciate some of the counter arguments. I still don't see how anyone in HQ will really care what we think, but that leads me back to my point that Adam's isn't what it used to be and I'm sad about that.

4 hours ago, ramflava said:

If you're having 2nd world problems, you likely shouldn't be spending time on a forum. All in all I like that there has been some support of my critique of the company. I also appreciate some of the counter arguments. I still don't see how anyone in HQ will really care what we think, but that leads me back to my point that Adam's isn't what it used to be and I'm sad about that.

If you think that nobody at HQ reads this forum, or that nobody listens or cares about customer opinions, you're WRONG.  They do.  They read everything, listen, and discuss all suggestions and problems.  The BIG problem is that they cannot please everyone.  While your issue might not be addressed individually, they're hard at work trying to make the best possible decisions on each issue. 

So yes, Virginia, there is an Adam, there is a Santa Clause, and just like Santa's elves, they're watching and listening and trying very hard to give us all good products, a good selection, and good customer service.  Not perfect, but still the best.

10 hours ago, ramflava said:

I still don't see how anyone in HQ will really care what we think, but that leads me back to my point that Adam's isn't what it used to be and I'm sad about that.

I promise you they do. I've personally talked to folks at the highest of levels at Adam's...they care. And they even know about this post.  But they won't be able to "fix everything," mainly because one person's like is another's dislike, and mistakes will be made...they're human.

The company has changed over the years, yes. They're growing like crazy. But they continue to field innovative products geared towards making our detailing experience easier and better. You bought a Swirl Killer after wanting a Rupes, right? I have one, too, and love it. That's one example of how they successfully fielded a quality polisher at a lower price point, even if it was from overseas.

In the end they work at it every day to offer the best products available on the market. I've seen it with my own eyes. I'd encourage you to take a trip a little north up I-25 and see it, as well. They just might surprise you!

I've been using Adam's stuff since 2005ish. Started with a bottle of the original Detail Spray and yellow (or were they white?) microfiber towels, then some VRT, then some car wash, Brilliant Spray Glaze, APC, swirl and haze remover, buttery wax, etc. and eventually ended up with basically every product available. I still have a cabinet full of Adam's stuff, new and old. Anybody with Adam's who pulls up my information will see a pretty long order history, so I feel somewhat qualified to address this.

What got me interested in the brand originally was the simplicity of the lineup, and Adam. I liked the face of the company and I liked being able to "special order" something better than what could be bought in stores. Seeing Adam's passion for providing simple, quality products and how-to support for those products was all I needed. I understand the expansion of the lineup to include ceramics, accessories, etc. to stay current. I'm not onboard with the "lifestyle" stuff personally. I'd like to see the focus be on a solid lineup without branching off on sub-lines. Keep the products streamlined, current, improve them as needed, and focus on providing training in the form of videos and social media posts on how to use those products. I'd also like to see Adam himself be a little more present. Being busy isn't an excuse. We're all busy. Be the face of the company, cut the cutesie crap, and get back to the products and support being the main focus. 

I remember placing an order many years ago. Shortly after the order went through, I got an email from the man himself simply thanking me for the repeat business. That email has generated LOTS of repeat business from me over the years. I don't know if I came across the Adam's of today that I would be as impressed or loyal to the brand as the Adam's I discovered almost 15 years ago.

I know it doesn't do any good to live in the past or cry over spilt milk, and I don't know the details of the divorce and I doubt we ever will. BUT, I will say the Adam's of a few years ago with Adam and DvK at the helm was the Adam's I felt good about. It was exciting, professional yet casual, and generally in good hands. I'm not saying beg DvK to come back, because comments he's made have made it clear that's not an option, but I would love to see that version of Adam's back. 

11 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I've been using Adam's stuff since 2005ish. Started with a bottle of the original Detail Spray and yellow (or were they white?) microfiber towels, then some VRT, then some car wash, Brilliant Spray Glaze, APC, swirl and haze remover, buttery wax, etc. and eventually ended up with basically every product available. I still have a cabinet full of Adam's stuff, new and old. Anybody with Adam's who pulls up my information will see a pretty long order history, so I feel somewhat qualified to address this.

What got me interested in the brand originally was the simplicity of the lineup, and Adam. I liked the face of the company and I liked being able to "special order" something better than what could be bought in stores. Seeing Adam's passion for providing simple, quality products and how-to support for those products was all I needed. I understand the expansion of the lineup to include ceramics, accessories, etc. to stay current. I'm not onboard with the "lifestyle" stuff personally. I'd like to see the focus be on a solid lineup without branching off on sub-lines. Keep the products streamlined, current, improve them as needed, and focus on providing training in the form of videos and social media posts on how to use those products. I'd also like to see Adam himself be a little more present. Being busy isn't an excuse. We're all busy. Be the face of the company, cut the cutesie crap, and get back to the products and support being the main focus. 

I remember placing an order many years ago. Shortly after the order went through, I got an email from the man himself simply thanking me for the repeat business. That email has generated LOTS of repeat business from me over the years. I don't know if I came across the Adam's of today that I would be as impressed or loyal to the brand as the Adam's I discovered almost 15 years ago.

I know it doesn't do any good to live in the past or cry over spilt milk, and I don't know the details of the divorce and I doubt we ever will. BUT, I will say the Adam's of a few years ago with Adam and DvK at the helm was the Adam's I felt good about. It was exciting, professional yet casual, and generally in good hands. I'm not saying beg DvK to come back, because comments he's made have made it clear that's not an option, but I would love to see that version of Adam's back. 

100% nailed it.  Totally agree with this.  

Gizmo, you nailed it. I think you put in to words what I couldn't. 

These lines specifically say exactly how I feel: "Keep the products streamlined, current, improve them as needed, and focus on providing training in the form of videos and social media posts on how to use those products. I'd also like to see Adam himself be a little more present. Being busy isn't an excuse. We're all busy. Be the face of the company, cut the cutesie crap, and get back to the products and support being the main focus."

The reason I don't believe our concerns will be honestly address or considered is because the company appears to be too far gone to return to the old Adam's Polishes many of us grew up with. If the mention of investors is true, then I see no way the company ever goes away from where it is now and returns to what made it so amazing originally.

Again, I get it. Companies grow and in order to grow and keep up with demand the companies need money fast and investors are the way to go. Take any major corporation today and look back 20 years and you'll see they just aren't what the used to be and many times they lost sight of what got them to where they are now. Its pure business, I know, but its also sad.

Friends, thank you.  Thank you for caring enough to post your thoughts, and taking time from your life to do so.  Thank you for making your feelings known,  and I can appreciate that you feel we have drifted from our core.  Thank you for continuing to care about our company and brand, even though it's not the company and brand that you supported initially. 

The reality:  I understand your point.  We have become a much larger enterprise. At the same time, our customer base has changed as well. Over 60% of our customers are under 30 today!  We have a fantastic marketing department that turns out limited edition promotional products and Adam's branded apparel. While I certainly appreciate the sales, it's not something I had in mind when we started. Nor would I ever have thought old or limited edition products would sell for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Never in a million years, and our marketing team has created tremendous brand equity, and demand.

I started this business to offer great detailing chemicals, matched with premium application and removal tools, and easy to understand instructions.  (Eventually, videos, to help the DIY enthusiast achieve incredible results at home, with ease.)  Above all, I want our customers to be impressed with the quality, ease of use, and results achieved with everything that comes from Adam's.  

The reality:  The promotional stuff sells, and the new majority of our customers are young.   I now have partners, a bank expecting us to meet goals, etc.  It's not just me and my small team, boot strapping to make payroll, and kick out a few new products each year.  Adam's Polishes has grown exponentially, and as a result, it has changed.  While the changes at Adam's are good for some, they are not appreciated by all. Especially the original customers, those who remember us small, with nearly all American made products.  Those who have supported our brand for a decade or even two. 

As some of you are aware, our ownership group acquired our chemical manufacturer last year, and now have access to truly amazing chemistry.  We have invested heavily in the business, updated the lab, and are now making products that are more advanced than the big players in our industry.  Crazy enough, we now have 150 employees, plus another 25 part time show champions.  While I'm humbled that we have established a much larger company, and are roughly 10X the size we were just a few years ago, I also miss the old days.  I miss the days of taking our entire staff out to lunch daily.  Miss indoor parking and a cross-fit gym at the HQ.  I even miss the days of whacking payroll on a credit card, and living in my first warehouse.  While those days were tough, doing whatever it took to survive was invigorating, exciting!  It's hard to do things like that as a large company.

You asked about DVK?  Dylan VonKleist is incredible at identifying and developing new products.  He knows detailing as well or possibly better than I do, and has his thumb on the pulse of the detailing community.  He was instrumental in starting this very forum!   I also miss Ashley Wilson.  She worked with us since high school, with her fantastic dad, Mike, one of our original team members.   Ashley was amazing with our resellers, and everyone she came in contact with.  When we moved the business to Colorado, she was unable to move with us, understood.  We had an outstanding controller, Patti.  She started with us in 2009, and helped us get through many, many hurdles.  Her positivity and influence on both me, and the staff was awesome!  She eventually moved on to work with a non-profit, which helps children.  Understood, and she is missed by all of our employees that knew her, and was replaced by a super capable CFO and eventually, an accounting team of five that are much needed to keep this enterprise afloat.  Great people, certainly needed, but a big company team is different feel than a small few person team.  Realize, those people who are gone have moved up, and as our business grew, we had to make changes.  We are friendly with each person that moved on, no bridges were burned in the making of Adam's Polishes!

I introduced Dylan to Cody, then the owner of Cyclo Tools, and he was hired there.  Then, Cyclo was acquired by Rupes, which is how Dylan landed there.  It was a good fit for him, the right move at the time.  Truth:  Dylan is one of the smartest, most OCD, focused detailers I've ever known.  His focus on detailing products made our line better, and makes Rupes a better company today.  We never replaced Dylan, and are still looking today. (If you know someone, please shoot me an email with a resume: Adam@AdamsPolishes.com.)  

Today:  Our customer service team is awesome.  Our marketing team, led by Matt Butcher, is amazing.  Our chemicals are outstanding, and our ceramic program is world class.  Our towels and accessories are very good as well.   As I always say, "VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLARS!"   We are one of the only companies on earth that honors a 110% Satisfaction guarantee.  Pleas, return any product you are dissatisfied with.  Whining about products online doesn't solve a problem.  Remember, you get 110% refund on products you are unimpressed with. Please, no whining, just contact us so we can make it right!

I gave 200% to Adam's Polishes for decades. (Gave 200% to detailing for the previous two decades as well. Been detailing for nearly 40 years now!)  Today, I've shifted priorities, to a family man, and business man.  In that order.  I used to come home after work and get on AdamsForums, and on other social media platforms.  Today, when I'm home, I'm a Dad, and husband. Today, I don't always get to the HQ, rather, I travel all over for business.  I'm on a plane at least 4X a week, and while my United Airlines status is rocking, my absence is noted at home.

God has been incredibly good to me, and our business.  I'm so blessed to have had the opportunity to start and grow this business from zero. Blessed with an incredible and dedicated team.  Blessed to have met my wife, and blessed with our three healthy children.  Blessed to live and work in Colorado.  Blessed to have incredible customers who care enough to report your feelings on our direction!  

Finally, I encourage everyone to VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLARS!  Focus on the high quality products that keep your car shining, and your shine therapy soothing.  I'm still detailing something every week, sometimes daily.  It's my therapy.  It's always been my therapy.  Detailing is how I unwind and find clarity in this complicated world.  

I'm here as the Chief Detailer, and Founder of Adam's Polishes.  I'm not the CEO, not the marketing director, just the Chief Detailer.  If you don't like a product, please, contact our customer service team, and we will make it right.  (orders@adamspolishes.com, or 866-965-0400.)  When I tune in to listen to people complain about our business, it certainly hits a nerve.  If you have a product that has not impressed you, please contact us!  Vote with your dollars, and you will see more products that you love from Adam's Polishes.

Thank you very, very much for your loyalty, and for your business.

Humbly,

Adam

Thank you Adam for the response. This is the type of stuff many of us miss. We miss seeing you being available to talk to on the forums. As a father of 4 children, a husband, and a law enforcement officer (who understands life can be cut short very quickly), I completely understand the father first mentality. I'm still working on that part too. I have had to work 60+ hours per week to help put us in a new house (we close in 2 weeks!!) that fits us all. I haven't detailed in months.

As the original poster of this thread, I wanted to see if others were also seeing the major changes I was seeing. I wanted to know if others felt the same way I feel. I have no complaints about the chemical line of products. Several new release items, however, are very cheap and gimmicky looking. It seems to be all that is being released although I know its not the only thing being released. I do vote with my dollars by not buying those products. I have always loved the responsiveness to customer concerns or issues with a product. I just feel as if the company has changed too much and despite having tremendous staff and customer support, it seems like that is just a business model. It used to feel like a family, but not anymore. That is why I felt the need to speak up.

Again, I'm so happy to see a response from you and I can tell you still care. That makes me want to continue to support the company. At some point I think anyone with even a small amount of business sense can understand how and why Adams has gotten to where it is today and that investors are a must have to continue to improve and grow. Likely any other company though, that always seems to water down the quality a little and it becomes just another brand instead of a community. 

Thank you once again for the lengthy response and I wish you well. You are a great business man and family man. Adams still has my business, I just have to learn to adjust with the times and ignore the gimmicky part of the brand.

Thanks Mike and each of you who responded to this thread.  I absolutely care.  This business is my baby.   I lived on Top Ramen and canned tuna with ranch dressing in a 950 sq ft warehouse on the railroad track,s next to the 405 freeway for three years while starting this business.  I'm not up to see Adam's be gimmicky, or low quality. 

Stand by, we will continue to develop and launch new, quality products, and I certainly hope to continue to earn your trust, and your business.  Realize, I'm no longer the only person launching new products, and if I was, I'd have 5 hours of things to focus on for each hour of the day. Tough for a detailer with OCD and ADD to do!

I've leaned on our entire team, as has our CEO, to bring excellent, high quality detailing products and accessories to the market.  

Forgot to include a photo of our young family, this one from last week in McCall, Idaho, heaven on earth.  Celebrating my wife, Melissa's birthday.  Towel wrapped Luca, 11, Cristiano, 9, and Enzo, 6 with a LaCroix on his head: 

fullsizeoutput_c2f4.jpeg

Beautiful family Adam.

Since you posted yours, I'll post mine. The picture attached is from the finish line of the 2019 Bataan Memorial Death March. I just completed 26.6 miles of rough and rugged terrain.

Wife Karlie. Katie 9 (holding our female German Shepherd "Sami"), Ella 6 (in white), Mark 4 (in black), Matthew 1 (in stripes).

FB_IMG_1564611927839.jpg

Edited by ramflava

Adam, thanks for stopping by! Enzo is 6? It seems like yesterday you posted about his arrival! I think there are a lot if us old timers that do miss your direct input on the forum, DvK, Ashley, Mook, Lynn, Junkman et al. I also miss $1 a gallon gas (ok, not really since my car doesn’t take gas).

thanks for continually providing great products (even ones. Don’t buy) and instruction. Maybe I’ll see you on a United flight sometime. (You will likely find me in coach since I’m only platinum)

Not sure how to respond to your message Adam.  Seems like I've known you forever, my wife still calls you her "adopted son".  Through all these years, you've treated me kindly even when I don't feel I've earned the respect you show me.  It hasn't gone unnoticed or unappreciated.  We still talk about your days in the little house in Carlisle when there was little furniture and just boxes and boxes of product and a basement full of bicycles.  I still remember when you walked up to my car at Carlisle and used Detail Spray on it and tossed me a couple of sample bottles. It's been a great ride since.  Watching  your journey with your wife, and those three kids, especially Luca since she and my granddaughter are the same age, has been amazing.  Remember the pic of our Alli popping out of the Adam's box?  Times change, your company has to change with the times, but through it all one thing has been stable and that has been YOU. You've never changed. You're still the  "give 110% of myself" guy you've always been.  And you taking time to address this thread is proof of that.  I hope that your business continues to grow and I for one will always be a loyal Adam's guy.  Many many thanks. 

Rich

10157374_10202187404585779_5342506403890194247_n.jpg

I guess I'm out of the loop. I didn't know about any of the acquisitions or the new business structure for that matter. Do we know who the CEO is, or am I THAT far out of the loop? 

I appreciate Adam replying. It was refreshing to get a candid reply that served both as a reminder of how nice it was when Adam would regularly post, but also to reaffirm some of my suspicions about the company and it's current trajectory. 

One suggestion, though. Despite putting family first, which NO ONE should ever scoff at, it should be pretty easy to set aside 15 minutes a week to make an appearance on the forum, especially if you're spending that much time in the air every week. I guess the new under 30 demographic isn't as big a part of the forum as those of us who have been with the company since the beginning, though. 

Edited by Gizmo

• Rich locked this topic

I think Adam's response has sufficiently ended this thread.   He reads the forum and hears everyone, but can't respond individually.  Going forward, there are appropriate ways to let your complaints and opinions be heard.  

As Adam said   "If you don't like a product, please, contact our customer service team, and we will make it right.  (orders@adamspolishes.com, or 866-965-0400.)  When I tune in to listen to people complain about our business, it certainly hits a nerve.  If you have a product that has not impressed you, please contact us! "