Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cat scratches

gymrat7953

Question

25 answers to this question

Had a lady on my route that loaned her car to her daughter.  It had to be repainted because of stray cats where her daughter lived.  Trunk, roof and hood.

I don't know if a motion activated dog barking sensor would work or even be an option.  They do make them though.

Dog running loose in an un fenced front yard is not an option. I suggested an animal trap from Animal Control.

Protective coating ( plastic?) for hood & trunk ?

Was gonna suggest that next. Maybe some xpel ultimate film in certain areas the cat likes. Just installed some on my harley saddle bag lids, stuff is amazing bc it self heals itself when scratched just by direct sunlight or warm water

Xpel.com, u can order custom lengths in various sizes. Just ordered a 4" by 20 foot roll for misc areas and cost me $54. If doing a large section like a hood, roof, trunk area I would probably have it professionally done. Small/flat areas are pretty easy but large areas or curved areas in the body panel can be a pia

My neighbor's cat used to constantly walk into my garage if I left the door open and walked away for a few minutes. The cat would sit in their yard spying on me and dart into the garage as soon as I walked inside. I would find it sitting on the roof of the TBSS when I had it, and yes, it would slide off and put lots of nice scratches on the hood and a-pillar. This happened 3 times. I politely told the neighbor that it better not happen again or I'm calling animal control to come get the cat. Now I keep the garage door closed at all times when working in there and she complained that I'm always hiding in the garage with the door closed and not being social, so that's when I said "That's because your cat walks all over my cars and scratches them up!" I think she got the picture then.

Now the cat just thumps around on my back deck at 1am...

A coating will not prevent scratches, but a paint protection film like xpel or 3m will at least hopefully keep the scratches from making it down to the clear coat.

A coating on the finish will help the cats slide off. As they slide, they'll try to hang on with their claws open.

Damned if you do Damned if you don't.

We have several stray cats that roam our residential neighborhood. I did a bit of research regarding stray/feral cats; evidently every neighborhood has them, you just don't always see them. Seems if you trap them and move them to somewhere else, others will quickly move in to take their place. I've been trapping them, and taking them to a clinic that does reduced rate spay/neutering and returning them to the yard and letting them go. We now have only two that stick around and two others we see from time to time. They're not reproducing, and the population has dropped drastically.

I have one scratch on my Malibu hood, and one on the Magnum's hood from cats this winter to address in the spring. It's way less than I used to have to deal with on our outside parked vehicles.

On the plus side? I've not caught a mouse in the garage where the GTO's parked for a couple/few years!